Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ratrod

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by birdman1, Aug 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdman1

birdman1

I thought ratrods were banned from the hamb. All that fake patina bulloney makes me gag.

2. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Not a fan of the term myself. People have called my car a Ratrod because of the style. I like shiny pretty paint and interior, not a pair of stop signs for seats.

alanp561 and Budget36 like this.
  3. Paulz

Paulz

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

How about instead of blindly bitching, you help? Instead of posting this in the main forum, just press the “report” button on the offending post.

5. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

6. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The HAMB has always been a Traditional Hot Rod and Custom Car sight from 1964 and earlier since it's creation.
    The term Rat Rod isn't derogatory, it just was a different ERA - basically the 90's and isn't part of the what the HAMB is all about.

It's plain and simple.

Thanks for the feedback.

7. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

But it was the beginning of the current traditional hot rods

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  8. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No.
    Rat Rods were/ are a attempted impersonation of Traditional Hot Rods and Custom cars.

Traditional ERA is recognized by old car enthusiasts as Hot Rods and Custom cars prior to 1964.

The two are not the same.

9. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Then all cars built today with period correct parts from pre 1964 are rat rods by that definition.
    I am not trying to disagree, rat rods, or what is currently referred to as rat rods, are art cars in my eyes. Just think maybe some of the younger people do not know where the term started.

10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No again…..

Traditional style and Rat Rods are completely different and will never be the same.

Yes, guys can build Traditional Style Hot Rods with all the components of Traditional Hot Rods, but Rat Rods are a completely different ERA.

If memory serves me right, Alex and Markey of the Shifters Car Club were the creator/ owners in the 90’s of the Purple People Eater Model A Coupe that turned into a catch phrase “ Rat Rod “ designation, description as a crude imposter of Traditional Hot Rods built from the 20’s through 1964.

1971BB427 likes this.
  11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A compatible simple terms is “ Patina “

There’s original Patina - untouched, naturally rusted …..

Or there us Poser “ Patina “ of guys sanding down part of the paint - you can tell from 20 feet or worse yet - spraying clear over it.
    BLAAAaaaaa.

alanp561 likes this.
  12. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Haha
    Not a fan of fake patina either.
    I see you now refer to the original term rat rods as traditional style hot rods, that I can agree on, then a traditional hot rod or custom is really a survivor. Haha

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Most of us know the difference between a rat rod, and what's traditional, and acceptable here. But seems some have to learn it, or often want to debate it.

14. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Never did I refer to Rat Rods as Traditional Hot Rods. You need to re- read what I wrote.
    Traditional Hot Rods and Rat Rods are completely different in style.
    Guys can build Traditional Style Hot Rods with parts from way back when and they would not look like Rat Rods.

Don’t confuse the two because they are not the same.

alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Spot on.

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I guess us older guys are going to have to educate the younger fellas the difference.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. I've never seen a traditional hot rod with the rear axle actually welded to the frame, I have seen that insanity on a rodent rod. HRP

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  18. It's funny.
    Just google "Traditional hot rod" images.
    then google "rat rod" images.
    Google seems to know the difference most of the time!

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  19. I'm sorry, but the majority of the world classifies flat black primer and red wheels as a rat rod, and that's just not the case. Good thing they didn't say anything with shiny red paint and torque thrust D wheels is considered a rat rod, because the yuppie street rod crowd would fall into the fetal position and cry like a bitch. Years ago I read somewhere that a rat rod is a vehicle built solely out of spare parts and is not considered any make/ model vehicle. That said, I've seen so many Model A Ford's painted flat black with red wheels, extreme chop and channel, be called a rat rod that it makes me puke. But, just because a broke mother fucker builds a car and can't afford a paint job, interior, or $5k for a set of wheels from 1960, doesn't make his car a rat rod, it's just not finished. Or sometimes poorly executed. At my job, if I make fun of a new guy for being an idiot, I get my ass brought to the carpet, and my asshole is jacked up so far that I gotta unbutton my shirt to take a shit, because it's the old guys job to teach the young guy, not just in the fire service, but in life. Good talk

alanp561 likes this.
  20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've seen some original "survivor" cars that looked like the rats had been living in them a long time. Nastiness turns me away quick. Maybe you don't want to paint it, fine, but at least get the rotten, torn up, cotton strewn everywhere, ripped up seats and carpets out of there before you spread some kind of disease!

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

Some of you guys are way too concerned with other peoples sense of aesthetics and cleanliness.

Its not your car.

You are not driving it.

You are not involved...

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If you think there’s a fine line between rat rods and traditional hot rods, you are new to this. We all start somewhere… stick around and read for a while, it won’t take long.

23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes...... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Jones St.

Jones St.

Triggered again.

25. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Yes. It seeps into you like some hideous disease. It takes hold of you and you can never go back. I can't look at a pre '65 rod or custom with radial tires, without breaking out in a fever sweat. There is no known cure for this malady.

26. Before you all come at me with torches and pitchforks, remember this is MY opinion and it holds no bearing on what others do, so bear with.

We all need to just freakin' RELAX!

They're just cars. They are items. They are conveyances. They matter not in the grand scheme.

Everybody has the right to like what they like. I have no business telling you what to wear based on MY tastes. I don't have the right to say you're wrong for your lust over redheads with big gazongas. Why then should I believe I have the right to say you must conform to what I like when it comes to a stupid hobby?

They are just things. They're ALL garbage. They can go away at any time. Everything is fleeting and we all need to understand that these are just peripheral distractions to help us find a level of comfort in a topsy-turvy world.

There is no need for subculture tizzie fits. We're ALL car guys. Which is to say, we ALL spend way more than our wives think we do. :p

We all find a great amount of joy that comes with finding that one car or that one part that is going to finish our vision.:cool:

While I am personally not a fan, I think the problem with rat-rods is the way they look compared to a concourse level restoration that costs a gazillion bucks.

It borders on automotive gentrification and is most definitely gatekeeping. Some folks don't want what they consider the have-nots playing on the same field and competing in the same arena solely based on the "value" of their junker.

Plus, some of you guys hold no space for innovation and trendsetting. If you think you can't be a trendsetter if you want a traditional hot rod, you haven't been paying attention or have no imagination. You CAN build a traditional hot rod and still be innovative. The guys in the 40s-60s didn't have any problems being innovative and imaginative. Go crack open an old issue of any periodical from that time frame. Take off the blinders.

Look, all I'm saying is everybody's crap is a junker and you're not special for spending a ton of cash on it. Especially when you're locked into such a narrow viewfinder of what most consider "traditionalism" to be. It places you into a situation where your car is a carbon copy of everyone else's.

No... we all need to stop looking down at others, come together in a barefoot Margaritaville sort of way. "No bad days." should be our mantra. Turn back the clocks, put away your D'elegance, champagne way of thinking, and let everyone just have fun FFS. :rolleyes:

I swear... the more old people I meet, the less I want to be the old guy I am. :p

Again, this is just me talking out my ass. It means nothing. Don't feel attacked unless you want to.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  27. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This has been a great thread so far.
    Very controversial no doubt.
    I just want to offer up these two great images, in relation to all things of a controversial nature.

DSC_5311 (2).JPG DSC_5311 (3).JPG

neverdun and Thor1 like this.
  28. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Nobody is looking down at anybody.

In simple terms the HAMB is a “Traditional Hot Rod and Custom Car “ prior to 1965 Website.

Rat Rods came out in the 80’s, therefore are not part of or included in the HAMB.

Thanks,

twenty8 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  29. Jones St.

Jones St.

This site started what, in the late '90's? Went from underground type to G rated for the sake of the kids & traffic numbers. The term 'rat' has been bastard-ized as much as 'hot-rod'.

30. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Art? I suppose you could consider rat rods art as opposed to HAMB era traditional hot rods but it would be like comparing Picasso or Dali's works to Rembrandt. There are people here who are capable of creating pieces of metal sculpture that are designed not only for appearance but for function. In no way is it possible to equate a well designed Hot Rod with a rat rod.

Thor1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.