Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buy a wiring kit or make my own , or use what I got ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, May 3, 2022.

1. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the speedway kit which was OK, make sure you download the complete instructions from there website. I didn't realize they were available in till I had started, they helped straighten some issues I had. My main complaint is there is no actual wire diagram so if trouble shooting is needed later it might be difficult.

Phil

bobss396 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. I've used Rebel, I've used other brands and made my own. What it comes down to is price, availability and looks. What look do you want, do you want a cloth look (no coverings), are you ok with modern wires but covering them (covering costs more money also), what's available now (wire or kits). You can alter the wiring kits to suit your needs, pull out relays, pull out wiring, making it bare bones or adding to it for more circuits (meaning taking out lighter gauge wire and replacing it with heavier gauge)........it's just a universal box.

My '28 I bought fabric covered wire ($$) because I wanted the fabric look (although most will be hidden).

I would go with your harness you already have and modify it. If you sell it you most likely will have to chip in more money to either buy wire or buy a smaller circuit kit.

But whatever you do don't roll up the unused wires, maybe 1 or 2 for future use. The wiring ball of sadness looks like crap, just remove the wires out of the fuse box.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Buy a smaller fuse box ,8 circuit and use the wire from the kit that is marked , always good to have extra wire kicking around for future projects .I have a 21 wire kit I have used to wire 2 model Ts now .

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the jobs on my to do list for my 34 is to rewire it as most wires are blue and there are many 'other' wires that have been added over the years. I've never taken on a task that big so fully plan to use a wiring kit to do that. KISS principal for me :)

259228638_1262464677576133_9092905773183848010_n.jpg unnamed.jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

Just follow the blue wire, Pete;)

panhead_pete and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. evintho

evintho

X1000 on the Painless kit! I just rewired my '54 using this. Found it at a garage sale 15 years ago for $25. Knew I'd use it someday!

Painless harness1.JPG

Painless harness.jpg

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Put me in the Speedway camp as well. I used the biggest kit they offer just in case I want to add stuff later on. It came with some good instructions, a light switch, a bag full of connectors, turn signal plug for a GM column, and headlight plugs, but no other bulb sockets. Had a lot of stuff left over. I bought some braided style loom off of eBay and covered everything under the hood as well as the run back to the tail lights. It looks more period correct than the convoluted plastic style.

jakespeed63 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. The first wiring harness I ever installed was in my 1950 Chevy 3100. Dad bought the harness from JC Whitney. I was 15 and knew absolutely nothing about electricity or auto electrics. Somehow, Dad and I got the job done and everything worked! All of the others I’ve done, I’ve made my own harnesses. Our next project is Little Truckdoctor’s C-10. I think we will buy a harness kit for that, so I’m paying close attention to this thread.

jakespeed63, VANDENPLAS and Blues4U like this.
  9. rjordan

rjordan

In over 40 years at my shop we learned to always go with Painless. Just don't use the circuits you don't need. I'm putting a 21 circuit in my Model A coupe because I have it.

jaracer and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. Ratspit

Ratspit

Last year I was looking for a wiring kit and ended up going with Kwik Wire. When I ordered the kit the rep was super helpful and gave me a ton of advice. I looked it over when it arrived and the quality really shows. The kit comes with a really nice installation booklet which will make installation much easier. I haven't had time to start the install but it's next on the list for the 34.

20210802_153010_resized_1.jpg 20210802_153126_resized_1.jpg 20210802_153342_resized_1.jpg 20210802_153400_resized_1.jpg

bobss396 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. I agree, this was my 1st complete car re-wire. I only used the heater control wiring and the wires on the heater motor, some of the dash cluster that were original.

I needed a Ford column plug which they accommodated. I see it as a benefit, I dealt with KW only when I ordered the kit. The instructions were easy to follow and covered anything you may run into. I would buy another one over any other kit. I also got their HL and dimmer switches.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I make my own but I wired fancy machinery so I had a little experience when doing hotrods. If you have some experience in wiring a good schematic is all you need. I make a schematic for each car and install the sheet in the tool bag. Plus you need supplies and wire in a multiple of colors or Brady wire markers.
    If you do tackle this task you can run wires cleanly and hide them but don’t forget the rubber grommets and clamps.
    If you unfamiliar with building a panel good panel to use is Enos now Racers inc and has been around forever.
    If your not comfortable or your first wiring a car or truck a kit is a great way to go. I have used a number of different wire kits painless Ron Francis ez wire and a few others . The thing about kits it’s universal and that it universally fit nothing correctly or should I say cleanly. The kits have too much for a simple hotrod and you pay for that . Plus some wires seem to be undersized for the task. .
    The new kits a easy to install like a rebel wiring kit comes with simple instructions that really work nice.
    It all depends on your skill and confidence level on the understanding of wiring. I will say the satisfaction and understanding how your car is wired is priceless.
    The biggest thing I see in wiring is insufficient grounding and being one of the most important things ..

13. 4tford

4tford

I had the painless wiring kit come with my 40 ford project I bought and it was a good investment by the guy I bought the car from. If the wire is quality, as well as the circuit numbers every 6 inches and connections are well done then it's the way to go. Mine was the 18 circuit and it's more than I needed but it came with the car. Having it all new is one less thing to worry about! just route the wires away from heat and sharp edges and your done!

14. You could always post it on FBM, or similar, and trade for bare bones kit. Someone in your area needing an 18 circuit harness would be happy to help you out, and you'd be happy helping, and get the harness you need.
    I've traded stuff of higher value straight across, as I got what I "really" needed, and no money needed to be exchanged.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have done both. On our '37 Buick and the '40 Ford pickup I sold, I gutted a couple junkyard cars and put those harnesses into the old vehicles, per the wiring diagram and color code applicable to the vehicles the harness came from.

VANDENPLAS and Algoma56 like this.
  16. OMG...so many kits to choose from. Seriously need to Re-Wire my newly acquired 1939 Ford Coupe. It's honestly a disaster waiting to happen. Thinking of just pulling the trigger on the Speedway basic kit. I like doing business with them. Over the years, they have been very generous in donating swag, for all our events.
    There is also a Florida based company called EZ Wire, that looked good and was in that $200 price range.
    Home | E Z Wiring | Florida USA

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

IMHO this isn't even a question. You use a premade kit from Painless, American Autowire, Rebel or others. I would say you could make your own but for the price of the fuse blocks and the wire, you literally couldn't put a harness together cheaper than for what you can buy some of these other kits for, and you don't have to do any extra work.

Years ago after jackassing around with the wiring in my 57 Ford, a buddy who was better with electrical than I helped me rewire the whole car and I have never had an electrical issue since. On the other hand, when they tried to wire my 61 Olds in the build, they tried to salvage the original harness. What a disaster. Multiple overtaxed circuits, no room for modification... it would have been much less work and a much better result to simply start from scratch with a blank canvas, a new fuse block with enough circuits, and go from there.

You may only need a few circuits, but for a nominal amount more, you can get a bigger block that offers you extra flexibility in the future should your tastes or build change. You'll have options for power windows, a better stereo, or other high draw electric accessories without having to chop into a used up harness. Just tape off the ends of the wires and coil them up behind the kick panel with the fuses out.

18. BJR

BJR

Did my Buick with a Kwik wire kit. Everything worked first try! I would install what you have, but don't cut off what you don't use. In a year or so you may want to add air or a power antenna or something else.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

another vote for kit - .my '41 Chevy was first full rewire - low budget - so, went without a kit - used all black wiring - Ha! what dummy - be sure to use good quality crimping & stripper tools

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  20. I agree with the pro-kit comments. Pick a kit and install that. Unless you are a pro installer like a couple on this thread, you will waste more money and time finding all the parts and color-coded, proper gauge wires than spent on a kit. I made my own harness as a kid in the 60s for my Willys and have been sorry ever since. Since then I always use a Painless or EZ kit (pretty much identical). Great instruction manual, pre marked and proper color and gauge wires, great price.

And above all, DO GOOD GROUNDING ALL OVER THE CAR!!!!! 99.99999999% of all electrical problems on hot rods are grounding issues.

21. I did the Kwik Wire 14-circuit kit on my Ford. The instruction book was quite good. I only had to get creative with a few things and figure them out. I kept notes on post-its and stapled them into the instruction book.

VANDENPLAS and jakespeed63 like this.
  22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Im with 57joemopar as well as many..... I doing my second car.. and it makes me NO EXPERT.... but the kits available are well worth your time and cost...
    just go talk to Paul at Hortons... he will fix you up with a reasonable kit.
    I take forever to wire a car.... I am just slow and dumb.

bobss396, jakespeed63 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. I've installed Kwik-Wire, Painless, American Autowire, and Speedway harnesses; but sometimes it's fun to make your own.
    197 fuse panel med.jpg

24. X-cpe

X-cpe

I like the colored wiring diagram. If I am going to follow a black and white diagram, I have to get out the colored pencils or markers, especially on the multipage ones.

25. hepme

hepme

the first generation of wiring kits were o.k.-decent wire sizing and materials-but cutting costs stopped that and now most, if not all, of them are crap. Make it yourself from good wire if its a basic setup.

VANDENPLAS and Crazy Steve like this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

-- just be sure to use different color wires for different circuits - while installing use pieces of masking tape to print on where wires go to - take pictures with cell phone too to help later as to what wire went where

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Ron Francis wire kit in my 40 has all you need AND the fuse block can be installed with an easy drop down feature so you can see the fuses/wires easier. Another feature I like is color code and circuit printing on the wires , great instructions and instructions on the phone if needed.
    I also like the fact that the wires are run up to the fuse block and not permanently attached like some suppliers
    Just my experience

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's especially the case with Fords like ours that don't even have a fuse panel and instead goes through the headlight switch. Eventually your electrical accessories overpower that single 30A fuse on the back of the headlight switch. You really do need to start from scratch.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Rebel wire 9+3 is what I used. Just called him and he tailored my kit to work with the components I was using on my RPU.
    Great service and basically a custom wiring harness kit for a good price.
    Great follow up and tech help afterwards too if you need it.

51504bat, VANDENPLAS and RICH B like this.