Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***September 2022 Banger Meet Thread - Brr Months***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Sep 1, 2022.

1. callcoy

callcoy

Kevin
    Sorry to intrude on this post, been out of town without my computer and just read your response to my Winfield post last month. Thank you for the info, I didn't know that Bell reproduced the Winfield in Alum.
    Did they stamp the compression ratio under the water pump? I will not have it back to Base Camp till the first week of Oct. so can not even cc it till then, I am most curious about the Mcdowell ratio also.
    Steve

winduptoy likes this.
  2. IMG_0713[1].JPG IMG_0714[1].JPG Some progress on the SOHC, just made a few chips...
    stll a long ways to go, J
    IMG_0708.JPG IMG_0711.JPG IMG_0712.JPG

Lil'Alb, Carter, Crazydaddyo and 20 others like this.
  3. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

I must admit... this is based upon rumor. I have not seen any original Bell Auto ads to support, but have not looked for one either. As for the specifics of compression ratios and markings, might be sumpin in the “Official Winfield speed equipment” thread

4. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

5. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

checking in for the month got a few things accomplished.Ready for the hill climb this weekend IMG_6198.jpg IMG_6218.jpg IMG_6293.jpg

6. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

winduptoy likes this.
  7. You bet!!

winduptoy likes this.
  8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I spent 30 minutes changing out the plugs in the coupe this afternoon.

I'm running a Winfield red head on the B diamond and its blowing some smoke and smelling fumey.

I went from NGK AB-6's to Autolite 386's with a gap of 27thou, for a slightly hotter plug.

what I did notice was the 3's 3 & 4 plugs were fouled, 1 & 2 were fine.
    anyone else experience issues like this?

Oh yeah - I run a single 97 on a burns intake. 43 jets 3lbs pressure - dunno anything else about the carbie.

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  9. My Tourer sometimes only fires up on three cylinders. It's always no.1 plug that dies. Only difference is the ring gap is slightly wide on no.1 pot. Only ever does it on NGK plugs.

winduptoy likes this.
  10. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Is the 3/4 intake port lower than the 1/2? You may have fuel pooling in the manifold after shut off

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

There is a slight difference in height between 1 & 2 as compared to 3 & 4. not much though.

I will drain the carbie on shutting it down, and see if there is some difference in the plugs. It has only run for about 10 minutes since I changed the plugs, so I doubt I will see any difference in them until it has been run for some time.

winduptoy likes this.
  12. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

After i added an AFR Gauge to see what’s going on I ended up going from 43 to 33 main jets otherwise it was way to rich. This saved a lot of time trying to find the real problem. So far the car is running better than it ever had. I have a set of adjustable jets to install but figured don’t mess with what’s working.

winduptoy likes this.
  13. Working through my archives I found this copy of Old Cars Illustrated Vol. 2, # 2,m Summer 1976

Old.Race.Cars (2).jpeg
    Old.Race.Cars(3).jpeg

Carter, ratrodrodder, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This early V8 oil pump has gears that will fit in the Model A/B oil pump housing. IMG_20220909_120424393.jpg The gears are the same diameter but longer. That will provide more oil volume. If an adapter is used to extend the housing, the pump will still fit in the stock oil pan without any modification to the pan. I usually bolt the pump to the block and dispense with the spring. IMG_20220909_120232794.jpg I had my water jet buddy cut me out some adapter extensions from 5/16" plate. IMG_20220909_120106911.jpg
    You can see that it will need to have its height shortened to match the gear height, but that can be achieved easily with a mill or lathe...the gross work is already done and the internal diameter is a match to the pump body. I'm going to have him cut some more for me. I'm running pumps modified using the V8 oil pump gears in the A housing on all my engines, two of which are OHV that have pressure oiling. They have good pressure even when hot. Options have diminished for purchase of high volume oil pumps and being the cheap bastard I am, I've used this alternative from the start. Early V8 pumps are still out there...the later ones have larger diameter gears and require machining the housing.
    My question: Any of you interested for your own use?
    Let me know and I can figure the cost but It won't be a budget buster I guarantee....

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  15. I would buy one! Just let me know.

winduptoy likes this.
  16. Jukenut13

Jukenut13

Hi, Yes, Add me please...

winduptoy likes this.
  17. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I'd be interested in a few.

winduptoy likes this.
  18. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meanwhile in Japan. After a full day working on my farm was nice to get my little coupe out for a drive yesterday.

I had planned to run this highboy as per my avatar but its current fendered look is growing on me and it brings a lot of joy to many people as I live in a small town and people arent used to seeing 91 year old cars lol

305222868_10159983442961480_9175782960922844505_n.jpg

19. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Car looks great! I fully understand the fender dilemma. When I purchased my truck it was with the intent to pull the fenders. I’m going to but not yet. I’ve got plenty to do before that happens.

20. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Thought I’d share the ‘32 Ford Model B Pickup I purchased a couple weeks ago. I was looking to buy a Model A and do a nice banger build but once I saw the truck I had to have it.
    The good thing is it’s got a 4 cylinder in it and it’s going to stay a 4 cylinder. I don’t know yet how far I want to go but I do have a high compression head and a downdraft intake already. An overhead valve conversion might even be in the cards.
    First things first though. I’d like to get it running well as is. It’s got a fairly rough vibration in it off idle. I hope to dig into it soon but I’ve got some house work to do first. 94E3570B-ECCB-44FC-87B2-988FDE997190.jpeg

21. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Great looking pickup

winduptoy likes this.
  22. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Here is my 31 20171104_153642.jpg

alchemy, Jet96, GuyW and 6 others like this.
  23. Been a very long time but checking in. Injuries, surgeries and life had me sidelined for a few years. Still have my bangers just haven't had much time to play with them.

panhead_pete likes this.
  24. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome back...I've missed your signature and hoping you have a chance to get back to banging

25. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I hope you’re doing well and can get back to enjoying your bangers.

26. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Probably not the best place to be asking this question, but does anyone have one of these that they no longer require?

I rang Speciality Ford Parts but Jim couldn't hear (or understand) me when I was asking if he had any of these, thought I'd try here.
    float-o-motor B into an A mounts.jpg

I have a real good B/C transmission fitted with 39 gears which could bolt into my frame with the use of this setup. Otherwise its either a Mitchell transmission, or use a 32 k-member and pedals,, as I don't really want to use a Clings setup where you have to bolt through the transmission case to mount the wishbone mount.

ottoman and Old Dawg like this.
  27. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Vintage Ford .com part # 00190-0. 129.95

winduptoy likes this.
  28. Thanks it's good to be back

winduptoy likes this.
  29. Thanks I'm doing a lot better. Now if the hot weather would just go away

30. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

Mike's affordable has the float a motor kit.

Rear Float-A-Motor Kit ? Model A Ford - Model A Ford
    Code: A5089FAM

https://www.mikes-afordable.com/cat...t=42&Offset=42&Per_Page=21&Sort_By=disp_order

winduptoy likes this.