Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Rudy Ramos Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Rudy Ramos Roadster

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Dream Boy

Dream Boy

Love these old Track Roadsters and modern Track-T Street Roadsters. Back when I was a mere child in the early 50's I remember Jalopy racing on TV here in OH on Saturday PM. Black and white family 16" RCA TV. Was very intermittent. I think it was filmed in California. They were coupes and sedans.
    Crashes were horrific with totaled cars being lifted by a boom truck with axles and other parts dangling.

Stogy, tractorguy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Rudy was not into jet boats, he was famous for racing Flat bottom V drive drag boats (prop driven) He was involved with Rayson Craft and their racing program, he was a genius with that drag boat stuff..... I have a Rayson craft drag boat, I like to think that Rudy had a lot to do with the success of these boats, His father started the company and the name Rayson is a form of "Ramos and son" xram2.JPG xram3.JPG

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    jnaki, Stogy, Jungle Jalopy and 17 others like this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I know absolutely nothing about boats... obviously... I like em though!

Stogy, Jungle Jalopy, Spoggie and 3 others like this.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The boats are cool. Rudys Dad started the rayson craft company

Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

All bullshitting aside, as cool as old cars and hot rods are, driving a vdrive drag boat is the most fun you can have with a steering wheel in your hands

pigIRON63, Stogy, tractorguy and 5 others like this.
  7. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

B = Bring
    O = On
    A = Another
    T = Thousand

They are very cool, but you know the old saying, the two happiest days of boat owner ship, are the day you bought it, and the day you sold it.
    In Marks situation, that Rayson Craft Drag boat, highly doubtful that he will ever sell it, its a keeper.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When we were 18, my pal Jim and I were admiring older rodder Ernie Rose's candy red (brand new!) '60 Cadillac Coupe De Ville, but more so the boat on the trailer behind the Caddy.
    Largish flat bottom California hull, with V-drive coming out of a 430 Lincoln. Impressive...Much chrome, very sanitary.

Ernie: "Hey, you guys wanna help me get it in the water? We can cruise the dam..." Hell yeah!
    When we got to Anderson Dam, (south of San Jose) Ernie backed down the ramp, Jim and I were on either side, "Don't scratch it!"
    We sat just off the ramp, Ernie stashed the Cad & trailer, then stepped aboard, and fired up that big Lincoln.
    We sat next each other, on a wide bench seat (white tuck & roll) we idled out into deeper water. Maybe...10, 15 MPH. Ernie said, "Tuck in, now..." and cracked the throttle.
    I watched his foot jam down on the Moon pedal, and that boat literally jumped out of the water! Like...Airborne.
    Scare plus thrill, acceleration? Waaay better than slicks. Extreme how quick we got to the middle, then toward the edge of the lake. First experience with an 'inboard', if ya wanna call it that. Zowie, I heard Jim say.
    I was still feeling the 'tickling' in my guts. 'Zowie' was an understatement.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool

Stogy likes this.

10. Sonny's C-Cab & Boat @ Lake Camanche - 1973.jpg
    Sonny Hallsworth's C-Cab & Boat @ Lake Camanche - 1973.jpg
    Sonny Hallsworth's Boat @ Lake Camanche - 1973.jpg
    Sonny Hallsworth's C-Cab & V-drive Boat at Lake Camanche Rod Run

Stogy, Jungle Jalopy, Spoggie and 3 others like this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@Ryan sorry I turned your thread into a drag boat thread....

pigIRON63, Tuck, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No complaints here...

Stogy, HEMI32, Sancho and 1 other person like this.
  13. AHotRod

AHotRod

Fast racer/Hot Rods are my love, so you have my approval for all you can dig up and find Ryan.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Rand Man

Rand Man

So many of those original rods were street driven plus circle and straight line racing. Boats can be hot rods too. Living on the lake, yeah, I’m into boats. If you go through a stack of 1960’s Hot Rod magazines, you will find boats featured almost monthly.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    Stogy, Moriarity, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  15. Am i the only one who immediately google mapped the addresses listed in the news article?

ric likes this.
  16. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

17. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

I’m glad to know who built the race car I drew inspiration from when building this track nose T. I couldn’t get over the wishbones ending at the door as well as the cowl steering. I had to do the same. 8F47F556-5E48-4BDA-9BA5-226B68C2B93B.jpeg

18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Headed to Watkins Glen this weekend for the Vintage...
    I'll grab a couple shot's to fit the bill

Stogy and tractorguy like this.
  19. Gofannon

Gofannon

20. Gofannon

Gofannon

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dangerous as hell but it was a golden age for these Racing Machines as they weren't rolling cages yet...Love them vintage pics....oh Yeah!!!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    41 GMC K-18 and Gofannon like this.
  22. Jim Wood

Jim Wood

23. Jim Wood

Jim Wood

I love these stories about the post war hot rodding that went on. Thanks for the cool information and reports.
    I volunteer and work at the REVS Museum in Naples Fl. Mr. Collier the owner of the collection recently purchased the Ardent Alligator which his father and uncle Sam Collier built and raced after the war. It won Watkins Glenn in 1949. It had been vintaged raced for many years and has been modified by subsequent owners. They are restoring the car exactly as was built in 1947/1948. It is 221 C.I. flat head powered, 40 Ford rear end and three speed transmission. Airplane gauges etc. Research this car please. Will probably a yearlong project will try to update.

Tim, Stogy, tractorguy and 1 other person like this.
  24. Only thing is the brakes aren't so good.

pigIRON63 and tractorguy like this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you would be surprised how well they stop when you let off the throttle and lower the cavitation plate

pigIRON63, Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. 150412Skitter'60Lewis-copy.jpg
    That Allison job is the duck's guts! What is that neat induction?
    This lil' mahogany job had one of the first 'Vette 283's seen in Australia (Sydney Harbour) sitting it it's hull. I saw it and painted this canvas at a powerboat fest in 2014. I was amazed at the originality of the dual quad 283.
    It hauled arse too.
    And yep, thanks Ryan, now to dig out that Ramos roadster..

pigIRON63, rod1, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  27. 010029Mary-lou.jpg

This lil' impression is of a 20 foot Brazilian mahogany job my brother had and sold. It was the first speedboat in SE Sth. Australia.
    It was found at a bonfire after a farm clearing sale. They were gonna burn it on the fire. Someone saved it for the price of a box of beer.
    It went through a chain of sales, ever escalating in value.
    Complete, beautiful, it had a '41 Cadillac V8 amidships. I believe it has gone to Sydney. Would look great on the harbour.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Tim, Stogy and Sancho like this.
  29. @Tuck needs to chime in on the boat side of things

Tim and Stogy like this.
  30. The more things change the more they stay the same, Racers are their own worst enemies!

The roadsters started out as an affordable way for the working man to race as compared to midgets/and Big Cars Sliver Crown (Indy Cars) and latter Sprint Cars.

Almost instantly they became full on racecars with In/Out boxes, live axles, tubes chassis, and became as expensive as the other forms of open wheel racing!

upload_2022-9-8_12-12-32.png

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022