Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Solid Lifter Replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JorgeFleet48, Sep 6, 2022.

1. JorgeFleet48

JorgeFleet48

Hello,

Is it okay to replace a single lifter, or should I replace them all?

My gut is telling me to replace them all, but I'm looking for some input from those that have dealt with this in the past.

I went through the lifters this weekend, deep clean and all that and found one that has to go.

1955 235 block.

TIA

Jorge

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

2 points.

1. Can you even buy individual lifters? I have never seen them come an quantities less than a full set.

2. If one failed due to fatigue (millions of load cycles over it's life span), the others probably aren't far behind and have a reduced number of cycles left until they fail as well.

JorgeFleet48 likes this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Explain “deep cleaning” solid lifters. What issue exactly did you find on the one lifter?

4. Well, yea. You can replace just one. Fred the frugal farmer has done it many times. It's an answer but maybe not the best answer.
    But what's the issue with the one? Are there scuffs or a divot in the face? What I'm wondering is what does the cam lobe look like?

JorgeFleet48 and Johnny Gee like this.

5. jaracer

jaracer

When I worked at new car dealerships, replacing one lifter was the norm. However, we are talking about new, low mileage vehicles. If I was going to replace just one, I'd make sure the others were in tip top shape. Pay particular attention to the lifter face where it meets the cam. The face should be slightly convex, not flat.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

When you pull the side plate, take each lifter out, inspect, & replace. The condition of the cam lobes will tell you all you need to know.
    A used 235 that doesn't need the cam reground or replaced would be unusual ....

JorgeFleet48 likes this.
  7. KenC

KenC

Echo of some earlier posts: The question isn't the lifter, it is the cam, I'd try it since it's cheap but only if the cam lobe is perfect. And that is very unlikely if the lifter face shows wear.

JorgeFleet48 likes this.
  8. JorgeFleet48

JorgeFleet48

OK so the deep clean.... basically a good clean, try to get all the grime out and what not.

As to what was wrong with the one bad one, it has a Crack on the top around the base of the "cup", and the whole top section is loose. Screenshot_20220906-172712_Gallery.jpg

Johnny Gee likes this.
  9. greybeard360

greybeard360

It is always so much better to have the whole story.

Toss a lifter in it and go.

JorgeFleet48 likes this.
  10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Still need to see the bases.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Replacing one lifter is usually OK...but if you replace all of them, or replace the one cracked one and get the rest reground, get the cam reground also, or find a new one.

Rock Auto lists new ones individually, they're pricey....Delta regrinds cams and refaces lifters, that might be the way to go for the rest, if they need it.

12. JorgeFleet48

JorgeFleet48

I may have found the culprit....mayyyyybe. after looking over the cam, well that one seems to be a goner. 20220906_180628.jpg

Johnny Gee likes this.
  13. JorgeFleet48

JorgeFleet48

This crash course on chevy inline 6 ots something else, I sure picked a "good" one

14. JorgeFleet48

JorgeFleet48

New cam and lifters on the way lol

kadillackid, 302GMC and Johnny Gee like this.
  15. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Great photos, interesting.