Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 94 fuel squirter repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob28, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Rob28

Rob28
    from Calgary AB

Looking To see if any one has run across this before. Trying to get the off idle stumble out of my 276” 8BA flathead and I noticed the front carb was not squirting fuel nicely. Pulled it out and looks like I have a hole in the top that no other squirter has. Any one seen this before?
    Any ideas on repair? I don’t have any spare carbs that I can get a squirter from around my place
    D8289A6F-81D8-4B52-93B5-1080DD54F8A1.jpeg

2. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

JB Weld epoxy will take care of that just be careful so no epoxy gets in the hole.
    Here's two things I do to help with the off idle stumble on a dual carb flathead combination maybe this will help you as well.

When I'm tuning an engine with Ford style 94 carbs if there's an off idle stumble first I check the initial timing to see if its a bit late I like to set the initial at 10 to 12 degrees.
    Another thing I do if the timing is okay and the stumble is still a problem I use a pin vise and small drill bits to slowly increase the size of the squirter holes. These changes usually fix the stumble.
    Ronnieroadster

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  3. Rob28

Rob28
    from Calgary AB

Well Lesson #1 don’t try to solder these things. Figured JB weld would take the rest of the day to dry and I wanted a quick fix so I tried a little solder. Apparently these squirters are made out of metal with a very low melting point and when trying to solder I melted the end of the squirter. Lesson learned don’t make my mistake
    On the hunt for a new squirter now

4. Budget36

Budget36

I’d just read Ronnie’s reply and was about to suggest a piece of tape for a test.
    Too late I guess.
    But I found out the hard way you shouldn’t (well me at least) use O/A to try and solder a brass float;)

Flathead Freddie and deadbeat like this.

5. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Well that's not good :( Chalk this up to learning something new every day JB Weld makes a fast setting epoxy.
    Think the squirters are a zinc casting.
    Ronnieroadster

Budget36 likes this.
  6. Rob28

Rob28
    from Calgary AB

Luckily a fellow across town had a old carb and gave me the squirter from. Car seems to run a lot better with fuel going the right direction down the hole now

Flathead Freddie likes this.
  7. lowrd

lowrd

You must be living right or something.................

8. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I keep some of this on hand. Jb Kwik. 51z3+ynTtjL._AC_SY580_.jpg

9. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Hopefully you will get it off in time for supper

Hemi Joel likes this.
  10. Rob28

Rob28
    from Calgary AB

I got very lucky another one could be sourced so quick.
    That Kwick JB is on the list for next stop to the hardware store

11. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Great to hear your all set. Having an old carb around for parts would be a good thing like if one of the floats decides to leak and sink you will have one. JB Weld epoxy is always in my tool box..