Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rich's Coupe - a ten year odyssey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rich B., Nov 10, 2019.

1. I just stumbled onto this thread. Incredible build. I am the farthest thing from a Ford guy as you can get but tthis car reeks of craftsamnship and out of the box thinking in a myriad of details that it demands admiration.

Reading thru the early posts I suspected you used a Dodge truck engine which was confirmed in later posts. Tell tale signs; big ports, tall water Xover ports, Cast L-brackets on the ends. I adapted a set of these heads on my long bellhousing 331 replacing the tiny port stock heads. I had previously bored it 1/8" over making it a 354 many years ago. Drag racing legend Ernie Hashim had a shop in Bakersfield, CA and did the machine work for me. I run a passenger car 354 4-bbl manifold so had to braze on a couple pipe stubs and make a thermostat housing for it. Also had to block off the top half of the Xover ports so the manifold would cover them. As you know, needed a new set of valve guides and valves to replace the large stem sodium filled factory valves. Finally I cut off the ugly L-brackets on the ends since they interfered with my accessory brackets. I love these heads, wonder why the drag racers haven't snapped them up. Big ports, no siameze center ports, no pesky water crossover ports on the ends of the heads.

I assume you used a HotHeads aluminum intake manifold which gives the 4-bbl option and as I understand it covers the tall hot water Xovers?
    Fig 11.jpg
    IMG_1171.JPG IMG_1175.JPG

I have never seen a truck engine but your photos show that thay used the exact same cast iron front cover as the 331 with the cast-on water pump. I didn't have room for that pump on my tiny Willys so I cut it off the cover and adapted an industrial stainless 4" centrifugal pump muinted like an alternator.
    Figure 5.jpg Figure 6.jpg Figure 7.jpg

I didin't notice if you mentioned what ignition you use. Did you know it is very easy to adapt a late model Chrysler 318/340/360 A-LA electronic ignition to the early hemi? Just have to weld a 1/4" long tab to the end of the new distributor shaft and it is a drop-in. Here is an article I wrote dsescribing the conversion.
    Ignition article.jpg
    Finally I also used the Juliano's top insert on my Willys. I modified it to fit into the factory tack channel so it sits a little more flush than mounting it directly to the top.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    brEad, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  2. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love your Coupe, it turned out awesome.

3. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

man, that is some craftsmanship !! Awesome!! it brings back memories of mine ! I took 13 years to get mine on the road.. what a battle ! your's looks aweosme ! earl in the tear apart mode.jpg first part of building a hot rod.jpg first day of rebuilding.jpg fitting body panels.jpg

brEad, AHotRod, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  4. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

5. 26Troadster

26Troadster

rich b that is one fine looking machine.