Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Matty Dog, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Matty Dog

Matty Dog

I came across a picture of a car on a website called www.autoextremist.com with no caption or description and I am really intrigued by it.

I contacted the Auto-Extremist team, who said that the photo was
    taken at Elkhart Lake at the Road America Vintage Weekend 2003 and the
    car is a one-off called the "Troy" created in the early '60s.
    It has a Corvette engine and was built in Troy, Ohio but now lives in
    Wisconsin.
    I'm itching to know a bit more about the history and details and see some more pictures.

I haven't been able to find anything on the internet, despite a lot of
    searching.

I'm hoping someone on here might recognise it.
    [​IMG]

2. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I like it!!!!!!!

3. beatnik

beatnik

4. Matty Dog

Matty Dog

WOW!

This is what I've been looking for for months.
    I saw the photo that I posted, fell in love and decided right then that I was going to build something like that. To think it took only one post in the right place and all the information I was after came to hand immediately.

Anyway, I'm Matthew from Wellington, New Zealand. Most of my experience has been with European cars (Fiats and Alfas mainly), with a few American and Australian cars thrown in too. I started taking an interest in the traditional hot rod scene a year or so ago after never really feeling any connection with shiney cars and oversized billet wheels.

I've visted this website a number of times, but never posted, as I still don't have anything particularly relevent to contribute.
    Expect to see me sticking my nose into the odd thread from now on though.

Thanks again for satisfying my curiosity.

Matthew

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

Welcome to the HAMB Matty...

Maybe you can return the favor.:D

Do you have any pics you can post from the NZ built Lycoming powered Special that Jim Clark once drove?

6. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

That car is owned by a friend of mine, he now lives in Door County Wisconsin.
    There was a long post about it right after the Milwaukee Nationals. Do a search.

B:)B

Never mind, just saw Gus's post.

DUUUUUUUUUUH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Matty Dog

Matty Dog

Ahh, yes...Ralph Watson's Lycoming Special.
    I remember seeing it last time I was at the Manfeild race track and took a couple of photos, but try as I might, I can't find them now.

Coincidentally, I recently bought a locally written book about the two specials that Ralph Watson built; the Lycoming and a previous small FWD car using BSA components.

It's an interesting book, especially from an engineering and mechanical perspective. It doesn't go into the bodywork side of things much, as I think he handed that over to someone else.

If someone was really interested, I could post a copy or 2 over, but that would involve you sending money to some stranger (me!) on the other side of the world, so you'd need to be a trusting sort of guy! The shelf price is about US$30.

Matthew

PS. I have spent an unhealty amount of time just gazing at those photos of the Troy!

Attached Files:

8. Bob,

Is there anyone you don't know? You have the most amazing circle of friends of anyone I have ever met.

Doug

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

Matthew, I'm having trouble finding the book here.

So if you are really sure you wouldn't mind sending me one, I'd like to take you up on your offer.

I did find a Pic of the Lycoming Special...

10. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

what a beautiful car - although if it was "updated" in the early 60s, I'd like to know exactly what EARLY 60s car those vented brake rotors are off of.

dj

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

The book just arrived.

Very cool!

Thanks again Matthew.