Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do you plan to finish your projects with rising costs.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimpopper, Aug 30, 2022.

1. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´m just gonna try to work harder and make more money...if that doesn´t help, I just procastinate buying the big $ parts until
    a: I worked my way around it and found a solution I like and can afford
    b: I got lucky and found the big ticket part for cheap
    c: I finally saved enough to just buy the big $ part

-Brent-, Jeff Norwell, rod1 and 2 others like this.
  2. ALL ^ of the above!

jimpopper and hotrodjack33 like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went to Vegas over the weekend to start earning the money for my new interior. That ought to get the seat and door panels done.
    upload_2022-8-31_12-18-53.png

4. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Been putting off doing the interior and paint on the roadster primarily because I like it the way it is and spent big money on the 34 build. Put a dent in the 34 and still haven't recovered so figure If I ding the roadster I can fix it and spray can primer it again.

lothiandon1940 and jimpopper like this.
  5. 55blacktie

55blacktie

gofundme

fauj, hotrodjack33 and guthriesmith like this.
  6. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Hit the lottery.

fauj likes this.
  7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Mine is at that "damn, I could finish this or that if I had "X" stage.

I need a couple full sheets of 4x10 18 gauge steel but can't afford the price right now, need some different sized round tube but that's gotten ridiculous, need some square tube but it too is somewhere over the rainbow.

Some used parts, people are asking ridiculous prices for because they seen a used truck in the local newspaper at 40% over blue book so the prices for their old used stuff must be worth alot too cause it's "antique" and/or vintage.

I used to buy stuff to get me by but gave up on that, I end buying something I really didn't want in the first place and still end up wanting/needing the original part I was after so I ended up buying twice.

It's really a strange place right now with over inflated prices on most things and add to that the availability of some new parts.

At the shop we spend about 5 grand a month with 1 oriellys parts store (we spend with other stores too) in the last 2 months they now started charging us shipping for parts we order from them, never paid shipping in the last 30 yrs from them but now due to costs they had to start charging. It won't be long and I'm sure others will follow suit.

8. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I have a fairly big collection of 50’s American Flyer trains! Gotta let go of something if the coupe is to be completed!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    hotrodjack33 and jimpopper like this.
  9. jimpopper

jimpopper

I finished boxing the frame on the model A pickup today to get that done before the coming rate hike on electric. Skipping fenders, running boarfs,hood ,heater and radio to keep costs down. I'm surprised no one suggested starting s you tube channel for funds. I'd have to build way faster than I have to hold an audience. I carefully planned my retirement around 4 percent inflation.. I build my own frames, engines,transmissions, bodywork,paint and interiors already.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  10. gene-koning

gene-koning

I too am retired. We are doing OK. I budget a few bucks every month for "truck parts" which provides all the maintenance on all of our vehicles. Its something I've always done.

I'm pretty happy my truck just got painted and is back on the road. My buddy has a body shop. He sells me the paint supplies at his cost. I trade work on something he needs to get done, for something I need to get done. That's how the truck got painted. I helped him with building a flatbed for his truck, He painted mine. I did everything on my truck up till the time the paint was applied (it came out great).

There are things I still want to do on my truck, some things carry a pretty big price tag. I've set the priories which things I want/need first and I keep plugging away saving up some money to get that next thing on the list, then I'll start saving up for the next thing. Between now and then, at least I get to drive and enjoy the truck.

jimpopper likes this.
  11. I need it I buy it. I want it I buy it. Over the years I've made sure somebody else picked up the tab. They're still doing it.

INVISIBLEKID and jimpopper like this.
  12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Gotta pay to play! It’s going to cost what it costs, to me this is a hobby that I enjoy and if I have to pay a higher price for a part then that’s what has to happen. I need to pull the trigger on a custom radiator for my model T project and the bid for it 9 months ago was $1400.00. At that time I wasn’t ready for it and now I am and I can guarantee it’s gone up in price.

13. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I always buy what I need. It's a hobby. Gotta pay to play.
    When I can't afford it I will find a cheaper hobby.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have all the equipment, skills, and parts put aside for most of my projects. And as of May 1st, when I retired, the time. But electric and heat and materials cost have blown all my plans to Hell. I plan to keep my two Mercs and my wife's Mustang. I am not comfortable riding my Harleys anymore and even if I finished my other cars, I would have to build another building to store them in. So, it's time to put the rest up for sale at prices too good to pass up compared to what you see advertised. Use the funds to finish the 51 and freshen up a few things on the Marauder and the Mustang. Put the rest into the old age fund. Hell, most of the events I loved going to are drying up anyways. I am not quitting, just regrouping. Larry

wicarnut and jimpopper like this.
  15. Don't get high on your own supply?..or is it don't go fast on your own stash?

hotrodjack33, rod1 and Budget36 like this.
  16. choptop40

choptop40

ive always budgeted builds doing everything in house...everything....build a car on a shoe string ..buy running driving parts car ; use every thing including wiring harness.. time and ambition and of course a shop to do it in.....

hotrodjack33 and jimpopper like this.
  17. bubba55

bubba55

Hey @ hotrodjack33 - what’s yer address - I want to mail you my adoption papers

hotrodjack33 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

Hey Jack, picture in your mind a common man.
    He’s standing on a street corner
    He’s dressed as just an “average Joe”.
    He sees you.
    Your eyes meet.
    He raises his hand and gives you a one finger salute.
    Okay, it’s me and I’m not apologizing;)

19. wicarnut

wicarnut

I just keep Putzin along, one day at a time. You might have to compromise somewhere with your project, if you have to farm out, paint job, $ is crazy, upholstery $ is crazy, chrome $ is crazy BUT all of these items were never cheap at any time, being an Old Timer I always tend to remember back then, it just seems now it's all gone crazy. Where there's a will there's a way. You have choice's, Wait it out, some of this current craziness will subside, sit down/ shut up/ open checkbook, sell your project/take the hit now, DIY with your project get it on the road and enjoy. There's only one thing I know of that's become cheaper through time, ME. LOL.

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I'm a speed equipment addict; I admit that freely. And I DO get high on some of the junk I've drug home! On the upside, when I do decide to sell something out of my stash, it has usually appreciated much more than any bank account.

jimpopper likes this.
  21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No problem Mike.:mad: I'd just have my driver take care of the problem...on my way to the Country Club;) 0.33.gif

22. indyjps

indyjps

Keep older daily driver
    Sell stash - I'm not going racing anymore
    1 project at a time
    Keep perspective - single stage non metallic urethane - I can shoot that myself and fix my screw ups. :D

I'd say buy - sell - part out. Did some last 2 years, with limited storage space it didn't work well. If you have the space and time its decent funds. Key is buying something that generates usable parts for your project - otherwise it's just another hassle.

jimpopper and Mike Lawless like this.
  23. grdra1

grdra1

I plan to work on the stuff that I can fabricate with little outlay while I save for the big ticket items. But when Im in a hurry for that special part that costs, I do more hours at work. Glen

jimpopper likes this.
  24. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

Semi retired, and work about 40 hours per month. Plenty of time....except during the summer here, it's dang near as hot as the surface of the sun. So early mornings, and work till about noon on projects.
    I only have one project vehicle. It's all I have room for, it's all I can afford, and it is MANAGEABLE!
    I started my current project, "Bringing an F100 Back from the Dead," just a little over a year ago. I saw the way things were going, and made all my big ticket purchases early on.
    Other than that, like others have said, I too am a tightwad. I'll not spend on stuff I can do myself. Of course perfection is not the goal. I can't afford perfection, and "Ol' Furd" is now my daily driver. It gets "Upholstery by Mike," and it gets "Paint and Body by Mike," and all welding, fab, mechanical and other cosmetic work done by Mike as well.
    The very beginning and the essence of hot rodding was guys building and making their own stuff on tight budgets. It was not the pursuit of perfection. And that's kind of the way I like it too.

25. 55blacktie

55blacktie

How do you get somebody else to pick up the tab?

jimpopper likes this.
  26. Same as before, by scrounging what I need. Example: Instead of calling the place that sells new metal I go to the scrap yard. They have a section where they pile up all the stuff that can still be useful. Square tubing, round tubing, sheet metal, etc. 60 cents per lb for whatever I haul out of there.

jimpopper and arkiehotrods like this.
  27. RMONTY

RMONTY

I work hard for a living. I make money. I spend money. I might spend too much on some things but I dont care. It is just money. I will spend it while I have it, and want it when I dont....I am not going to take it with me when I am gone so I am spending it while I am still here. If you think I paid too much for a particular item, then find it cheaper for me. If I don't ask for your help finding something, then I don't need or want your advice. It's pretty simple really. :)

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in that group that bought most everythign for my 48 when prices were lower but some of that buyng goes back almost 20 years.

Outside of paint, upholstery, glass and exaust and tires everything else will be fairly small purchases .
    The biggest problem for me right now is a place in out of the weather to work on it.

jimpopper likes this.
  29. My plan for financing the 4 builds I have going and the ones on deck involve tax free liquor and robbing stage coaches.

Tman, rod1, 0NE BAD 51 MERC and 5 others like this.
  30. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Gave up on the counterfeiting machine, huh?

jimpopper and Budget36 like this.