Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You gotta' use all those parts for somethin'. It would be a fun build and more fun to play with especially at some of the vintage events. If my roadster ever gets built there will be enough left to build a Chevy speedster. Then there's the Essex and..............:rolleyes:

Outback, tractorguy and Jet96 like this.
  2. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

You are so right there Six Ball!!!!

Six Ball likes this.
  3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Good article, but I think we're still missing page 127.
    Interesting that a 7 to 9 year old car frame was to be found in any wrecking yard. Cars didn't last so long back then!

Six Ball likes this.
  4. Thanks for posting the article gg2!!!

Silly question- anyone recognize these carbs used on the Spurgin-Giovanine restoration?

[​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Here in central NY, a lot of 7 to 9 year old cars STILL end up in junkyards!

6. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

7. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

@Mac the Yankee -Those look like newer S&S motorcycle carbs, It seems the originals were Nordens or something like that...

Six Ball likes this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Mac, Jimmy B would know this. I think the originals were modified Winfields for alcohol. Those wouldn't work for the El Merage runs of the restored car so they went to these. I think that is what I read but I can't find it. I'm sure it was in a thread on this site, probably one of Jimmy B's. Jet96 may be right too?

9. As Jet96 said they are S&S motorcycle carbs, Jimmy Shine fitted them to make the car more drivable when they did the photoshoot at El Mirage. The originals were Winfield bowls with custom made throttle bodies.

10. Blackbob

Blackbob

I know of 3 and another mid build

11. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Any in the UK?

12. Blackbob

Blackbob

I heard of a mid build one in UK but it is all model A Ford and haven't seen any pics of it. There's one in Germany, another in Perth W. Australia and another being built in Brazil as well as the well known one in the USA

Outback and 282doorUK like this.
  13. Mosquito

Mosquito

Morning This is for the English or possibly European side of the pond. I have for sale a selection of Chevrolet bits imported from Australia some 20 years ago. So Right hand drive . There is a time limit on these as I have lost my storage. I have roughly available most of a rear axle and a part front axle with kingpins and hubs, Assorted road springs, steering box's tubes, an pretty complete 1926 ish Engine which has a 6 bolt waterpump but missing its head, Assorted heavy bits like clutch plates and starter motor bits and AC delco dynamo. there are also the things you never need like brake shafts and the connecting rods. These have been stored in a damp garage so not great condition I do not want vast sums of money but would hate to see this stuff go in the skip. Located in Birmingham send me an email on [email protected]

Stueeee likes this.
  14. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Do you have a good diff and half shafts? I really could do with one for my racer. First dibs please if you have.

15. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

@Mosquito emailed you re. a steering box and rear hubs.

16. 282doorUK

282doorUK

17. Mosquito

Mosquito

Hi I have a friend who is short of a 1928 head . This could be a bare head or with valves and rockers. Has anyone got one they would be willing to sell. It can be collected from the Hershey Swap meet if that assists. Any help or leads gratefully received.

18. Mosquito,
    I have a spare head down here in GA, but could bring it north when I visit my family in Myerstown (near Hershey) in December? Where are you located?

Six Ball likes this.
  19. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

I picked up the ‘25 engine block from Mosquito, top bloke as always,
    I’m now looking for any or all of the Generator, distributor, oil pump assembly if anyone can help. Failing that I’ll take some hens teeth

282doorUK likes this.
  20. Kume

Kume

More chance of finding hens teeth I would have thought. New castings were available a while back but haven't seen them for sale for some years. You could look at running a magneto plus remote oil pump. I went with a 26 block for my roadster with strengthened center main cap so I could run a standard dizzy.

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That stuff is around. Maybe not in the UK. I'll be seeing a friend with a stash in a week or two. I'll poke around. Jimmy B might know where some are.

I'll check my hens too!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    Okie Pete likes this.
  22. Andrew, congrats on the '25 block! Which casting is it?

23. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

Thanks Guys. Funny enough just after posting I saw, on eBay, an early square Aurolite generator with the hollow shaft where the oil pump mount on the front cover. Not ideal as the distributor pot metal housing is shot. No shock there. But I promptly bought it as it my do a few turns

Kume, good point. I’ll likely not need any form of charging anyway so a mag is a good idea.

Six Ball, appreciate it a lot and given the choice I’ll take the teeth

Mac, it’s a Ferro block. The date code is slightly confusing as there seems to be 2 digits for the year and it looks very like a 23 (?) July 23rd 192…. but I’m sure it’s a ‘25 block due to the casting number and the fact that it doesn’t have a front mounted oil pump however I usually aim to stand corrected

I thought (thanks to this thread) that the year would be one number 5, 8 1925, 1928 for example

All my old chev gear got sold a few years back so I’m on the bottom rung of the ladder again. Thanks (or no thanks at all…) to Mosquito I have renewed vigour to but the John Gerber appreciation T/Chev

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okie Pete and Six Ball like this.
  24. Congrats- that Ferro is the stronger casting!!!

Six Ball likes this.
  25. kustomrooster

kustomrooster
    from TN

Hey guys I have been lurking here for years and found a start to a Chevy speedster. We now have it running and semi driving. Its a 1923ish engine with a 1928 head. And a early 1917-1918 chassie with a cone clutch. Still have a lot to do!
    Rooster
    Screenshot_20220928-212427_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220928-212445_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220928-212448_Gallery.jpg

Outback, Okie Pete, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Very cool, like to see more.

27. rooster, that is fantastic- great to see a 490 chassis!!!

What size wire wheels are you running?

28. kustomrooster

kustomrooster
    from TN

Its a Chevy "490" I left that off of it. Wheels are 18". It was a wood wheel car so front hubs are changed to 1926-27, rears have adapters and spacers to make them work. The engine was rebuilt internally when I got it. I opened it up to check it over. I have a few pics of the bottom end if anybodys interested.
    Rooster

Okie Pete and Jet96 like this.
  29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Here's some for inspiration. There is a great survivor in Reno but I can't find my pictures if it. :(
    490s are really cool.

490.5a.jpg 4842840335f230c623c2136cb07aa16a.jpg SAM_0546.JPG

Outback, Okie Pete, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  30. 282doorUK

282doorUK

That BW pic is excellent, front end is perfect.

Okie Pete and Six Ball like this.