Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Machete Man

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Machete Man

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Wow. Incredible shots! Both of those cars are pure inspiration.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Incredible!
    Thanx for sharing That.. $

Stogy likes this.
  4. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Fantastic and that roadster is special

Stogy likes this.

5. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Surreal...

1949*john and Stogy like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paradise defined in a neighborly way...That will help with the transition to a land far far away not to mention its pivotal history...

Your imagery combined with Chris's own connection to the Culture could easily pass for 1941...

That was a treat...thanks for sharing...have fun out there...;)

7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Chris is unique and you nailed how. What an opportunity for a shoot. Magnificent.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  8. A good friend just bought a summer home on the big island. I guess Hawaii is the place to be! We're making it a priority to go and visit him next summer.

Casny rules.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

Fantastic. Too tall approved…I’m sure!

67BigBlock and Stogy like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ryan I missed this.

Real Ryan prose.
    Real Ryan photos.

Those photos are nothing short of life magazine perfection and the writing feels spurned on by the loss of our greatest pen.

I first thought please make these available as prints, or even a coffee table book of your shots.

But really,

what this truly calls for.

Is a new printed journal.

By the new 2022 Ryan.

Phillips, Outback, Rand Man and 8 others like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The photos aren't great... I was too busy being in Hawaii to consider things like reflections and other composition things that became issues. I did shoot the cars digitally... and then exposed 35mm Portra film using the digital images on a 5k postage stamp OLED screen and a raspberry pi to control exposure. The result is pretty sharp images with natural film grain.... and I think that saves my shoddy camera work. I'm pretty fond of them anyhow...

As for the writing and Pat, I wrote this before Pat passed. Pat and I are completely different types of writers - main differential being he was way better than I am.

12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the writing and the pictures. Well done!

Stogy likes this.
  13. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Where is the pic. of the water fall?

Stogy likes this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's fresh water runoff from the mountain... eventually goes to the ocean after dropping down a number of different water falls. This one is about 80 to 100' tall and happens to be in Casny's backyard essentially...

water.jpg

15. Casney has come a long way since that silver hand built car that was registered as a Nash. Interesting cat…

Outback, Irish Mike, Silva and 2 others like this.
  16. Curt Six

Curt Six

This is perfect.

67BigBlock and Stogy like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'd say... And I said this in my feature, but... I've been around a lot of both professional and amateur hot rod builders in my travels. In my opinion, Casny is the best one-man builder I've ever been around. He does everything himself - fabrication, interior, paint and body, etc... in his home shop... and he does it to a level that's as good and as detailed as any pro multi-man shop.

Outback, rod1, Irish Mike and 7 others like this.
  18. More hot rods need to be root beer. Tried to get my pal to do his 32 in a similar hue.

-Brent-, Stogy, Dan Hay and 2 others like this.
  19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" Everything old, is new again "
    A newly redefined " Garden of Eden "
    Adam and Eve would have been "stylin " if they were driving around in those two kick ass rides!
    Cool story, great photographs !

Stogy likes this.
  20. banjorear

banjorear

What a great story/feature and I've been a fan of Chris' work ever since seeing his roadster.

I've been fortunate enough to have gone to Hawaii a fair amount and agree with everything you've described. Place is special and seemingly the ideal place for a talent such as his.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Chris has no fear. Think about the sheer determination it has taken for him to build his cars, make each one better than the last, and do it all on his own.
    Not to mention all of the work he put in to his previous home near Austin, sell it, put his life in shipping containers and move to a remote island. No fear and purely inspirational.

Outback, Stogy, Baumi and 2 others like this.
  22. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

That's a good picture of the water fall, Thanks Frank

Stogy likes this.
  23. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It takes a special kind of gearhead to be happy in Hawaii. I've been there 3 times and always thought it too small to really be a place to live with cool cars. I hope Chris has room to enjoy his rides.

Stogy likes this.
  24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I spend most of my time on Kauai and I’m constantly surprised by the car scene there… Maui is quite a bit bigger.

Just takes the right person…

25. I dig the ocean. And for you guys that live in such places, mo power to ya. Like Ryan said above can be said about anywhere "it just takes the right person" As I was reading this earlier a thought came into my head. Dangerous I know but, many of us live in our own version of paradise. Some folks are still collecting nuts so some day they can afford their vision of it. I was fortunate and smart enough to set down roots here in the foothills 17 years ago before property went nuts. We cherish every sunrise over the Badlands and every sunset over the Hills. I tyoe this as I sit here designing a steel and concrete bathroom vanity................damn gotta get back on the car porjects instead of welding structural steel!

26. catdad49

catdad49

Some have the ability to do it all, but only a few accomplish it! Darn good write up and the pictures definitely convey the mood. Artists tend to be their own worst critics ( that's what make them Grow). I have been doing reno projects since the first house we bought in 1973 (this is the fourth) and most if not all had a least one part that got a whole lot worse before it got better. It can be pretty daunting and seemingly impossible, but do you Stop. Heck, No! I know you got this, Carp.

41 GMC K-18, Stogy and Tman like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was that shared on here?

0906ph12.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motortrend.com/features/0907rc-1927-nash-homebuilt-boattail/amp/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/oih-9ug0p8ugh.166358/

:rolleyes:...I snooped, not much to see as pics were non existant but for one from another poster, but yes I have seen and shared it elsewhere perhaps not knowing its origins...

28. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

100-pound palm fronds dropping from the trees? I bet you gotta be careful where you park them old cars.... :eek:

Tim, WalkerMD, Tman and 2 others like this.
  29. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can leave the mainland and get as far off the grid as you want, but you gotta bring your Merc and your roadster...

-Abone.

rod1, 41 GMC K-18 and Tim like this.