Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And so it begins......1928-29 late 40's style roadster project!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OLLIN, Aug 25, 2010.

1. OLLIN

OLLIN

started welsing up the cross member. I dont think Ill use an F1 again... might as well have just made one!

[​IMG]

but its starting to come together.

[​IMG]

Stogy, Outback and Jeff34 like this.
  2. OLLIN

OLLIN

oh, and my buddy and his dad helped me weld those specialty ford ductile steel sring hanger, but I dont think i'd use those again. Had to trim the shit out of them! I also made a boo boo and welded them a little too close, so now I have to make a new rear main leaf, but its ok because I think ill do a reverse eye.

3. 510madmav

510madmav

Dude i love where you are going with this. Im on almost the exact path as you, minus the windshield. Looks great mocked up..If your ever in my neighborhood I'll hook you up with a nicer decklid i have laying around.

4. OLLIN

OLLIN

man thanks! I might have to take you up on that...
    I was going to round the corners.

5. Not too sure about that windshield, I don't see how it's going to work. Looks too big compared to the pics posted earlier.

6. 510madmav

510madmav

I'm also glad to see you use the uncut original frame.

Stogy likes this.
  7. McFly

McFly

Steady as she goes Ollin...stay true to that windshield, it's what will set it apart from the rest.

Stogy likes this.
  8. OLLIN

OLLIN

the guy I go the cowl section from had a chopped frame already. It was done really nice too.
    If i decide to just run the frame without the top part, ill leave it as is,
    But if I do the frame around the windshield, ill have to narrow it like 4 or 5 inches.

yeah, this baby is gonna sit real high!

I forgot to mention, I scored another 0-2 tank here on the HAMB. So I am going to run them upright, and have this old vintage speed boat filler on the panel behind the seat with some sort of "T" pipe. It should look cool. I want to paint them that bright yellow, and try to reproduce the stencils..

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  9. OLLIN

OLLIN

like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    Stogy likes this.
  10. OLLIN

OLLIN

here's how my dash is shaping up. just need the center chrome, and maybe a dash clock!
    [​IMG]

I also scored this here in the classifieds for $25!
    [​IMG]

and here's how it sits today. It doesnt really look like I did much, but a lot more stuff is bolted on once and for all, and not just mocked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy, Outback and Jeff34 like this.
  11. OLLIN

OLLIN

I saw this car here on the Hamb, but I cant remember where. Pretty similar..
    If anyone has any info, let me know..

[​IMG]

even has a back bumper!
    [​IMG]

Stogy and Outback like this.
  12. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

I am contemplating doing a side shift trans as well, that will be cut down, so if anyone has done it, please put up pics...subscribed.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Ollin, I love it! I'll be watchin ;)

Stogy likes this.
  14. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Looking good, any more updates?

Stogy likes this.
  15. FlatJan

FlatJan

isn´t your dash a 39?
    please make a lot of pics when puttin´it in your A..i´d like to go same way

Stogy likes this.
  16. OLLIN

OLLIN

Ok, this has to be some kind of record or something...
    Here's my 12 year (so far) build and where it sits today.

Should I just make a new thread? or?

When I first started gathering the parts it was all fine. Then one day I realized, crap,
    this stuff is starting to add up in value...Model A body, 32 axle, etc etc.
    So then I started to build a driveway fence/gate. I could probably do a whole build thread on that. But I wanted to cantilever the door and the posts went down 4'-0". Then I got busy with work, and I moved, and moved again 2.5 years ago, and got busy with house remodeling projects.

I finally got motivated to get back on the roadster and its starting to look like something.

Attached Files:

Stogy and Outback like this.
  17. OLLIN

OLLIN

its a 38 Ford dash, I had to narrow it to fit, but i didnt want to lose the ashtrays and the symmetry so I took it off of the ends and rounded them off. I made some supports to attach it to the body

Attached Files:

Squablow and Stogy like this.
  18. OLLIN

OLLIN

I kind of jumped the gun a little and started the upholstery, but I figured it would be good motivation

Attached Files:

19. OLLIN

OLLIN

I had gotten an original '32 radiator a while back and its currently at the radiator shop getting shortened and reworked.
    I probably should have just bought an aluminum radiator for 1/3 the price but I figured I would try to keep it period correct. The radiator shop is also TIG welding the gas filler neck on my dual gas tanks. The filler is a cool old teardrop shaped filler from a speedboat.
    I made a metal X frame behind the seat and the tank mounting brackets come off of that. I was able to hang the top part of the seat from it as well. Turns out the gas tank straps from a forklift propane tank fit perfect on the old ww2 oxygen tanks!

Attached Files:

Squablow, Stogy and Outback like this.
  20. OLLIN

OLLIN

made this little switch panel recently. Thinking about engine turning it to match the fuel pressure pump thing I scored...

Attached Files:

21. ModelAMitch

ModelAMitch

I just read the whole thread, such an awesome build and loaded with inspiration! I’m excited to see how it turns out. Can’t wait to see the windshield all finished up and that dash board all done.
    And did you ever get the flathead to fire??
    Goodluck I’m looking forward for more posts!

Stogy and OLLIN like this.
  22. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Good to see you back at it! Just keep rolling on this thread I reckon.

23. OLLIN

OLLIN

Thanks guys!

Here's a shot showing the bumper. I found it at a swap meet and it was the end of the day, the guy didn't want to drag it home. Neither one of us knew what it was from, but I definitely thought 1930's. It turns out its a 1936 chevy and the bumper guards go for pretty stupid money. I found 2 more, but they are pretty rough. I still want to figure something out for the front.
    Also, I recessed the license plate. I used like 1/8" rod and bent it by hand. then I just traced and cut carefully and tacked it in.
    I'm glad I mounted the '41 chevy taillights vertically, because was able to mount a flat strap across the top bolts, and that's what the license plate is attached to.
    here's some inspiration pics on old hot rods..

Attached Files:

hfh, Squablow, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  24. Great to see you back working on your roadster.

Stogy, OLLIN and Outback like this.
  25. OLLIN

OLLIN

Some goodies from the Radiator shop today. :D
    I asked them to Make me the "T" since I have the dual tanks. Still gotta figure out the Fuel lines and how to run the hand pressure pump thing. I have a cool valve to switch tanks, so I'll probably try to run it so that valve is near the driver's seat.
    I met this lady at the flea market the other day who was making custom coffee mugs, and I am in talks with her about making the stencils for the oxygen tanks. Hopefully she comes through!
    I might change the stencils to say "Gasoline 8.00 Gallons" or something.
    Those tanks are like 8 gallons a piece, so that should be pretty nice to have 16 gallons total

Attached Files:

Squablow, Stogy and Outback like this.
  26. OLLIN

OLLIN

Some more progress!
    I guess I didn't post any pictures, but I scored a way nicer rumble lid at rpm nationals swap. The latch is slightly different, but I'll make it work.
    Also, I ordered the radiator hoses and got them installed. The fan was real close to the hoses, so I shaved off the tips of the fan a little bit. I also had to move the radiator forward a couple of inches because it was too close. I made some new mounting tabs, and I had to get longer radiator support rods and retap the threads, but it all worked out great because I needed to make a longer hood to be able to run '32 chevy hood sides anyway. I had bought the chevy hood years ago, and I finally found the 8 little doors last year. I ordered the little door springs, and it works like a charm! Also, I finally got the rear door panels back from the upholstery guy, and he brought the top half of the seat, but i need to mark it and figure out how it will wrap over the top of the body. I want to use snaps and be able to make a tonneau cover that uses the same holes. It's been tough because he mostly does furniture so we are figuring things out as we go. I think I have a pretty good idea how to finish it up now. The devil's in the details! I still have a ways to go. It rained all week so the hood is just tacked. I want to finish that, then next time I'm in LA I want to work on putting the front end and driveshaft back together. That will be a huge milestone

Attached Files:

Squablow, alanp561, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  27. OLLIN

OLLIN

Some more progress!

I was originally going to run 6.00x16's in the front, but the more I thought about it, I decided to go with 5.50x16's to give it a little more of a hotrod rake. I used the other tires on my little utility trailer.
    I think it looks better...
    So, I am back and forth a lot between LA and NM, so I hit up Dennis Lacy to put the front end together. I think this was the right decision because it would have taken me a long time. This way, it was pretty much bolt-in. We decided to ditch the 40 spindles and went with mostly 32 stuff. It looks killer! I just had to weld a little bracket to the F1 cross member for the wishbone ball mount thing. I had gotten my driveshaft and torque tube shortened last time I was out there, but I still need to rebuild the rear brakes, paint and put it all together. I was thinking of putting 3:78 gears in too... I also picked up a 32 steering box from Whittier george, so I need to mock that up, but also I will need to rebuild it too.
    I had bought an optima red top battery, so I was able to mount that too while I was there.
    Making some good , steady progress lately! 20230610_201245.jpg

28. OLLIN

OLLIN

A few more

Attached Files:

Stogy, lurker mick and Jimmy B like this.
  29. OLLIN

OLLIN

A few more...

Attached Files:

Stogy, hfh, Squablow and 4 others like this.
  30. ModelAMitch

ModelAMitch

Looks great, post some pics of the interior please. From these photos it looks awesome!