Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Well, finally got tired with trying to get the twin Zeniths set right to get this thing to run better, after messing with varying combinations of them and a few disappointing test runs I finally gave up spent some money bought a brand new Stromberg 81!

Made up a new manifold to fit, it ran very cold and rough with lots of condensation, most likely cos of the small venturis. So I added a water heated bit underneath and I'm pleased to say it now runs very well now, revs up clean and smartish.

Need to get it out for another run, but I think it'll be pretty good out of the box.

I might even re-make the manifold in ally sometime, or maybe wait till I get the motor rebuilt and make a second one for a pair of Stromberg 81s on it!

DSCF7292.JPG
    DSCF7291.JPG DSCF7300.JPG

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Okie Pete, tractorguy, Jet96 and 8 others like this.
  2. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

282door Nice looking manifold! I agree about the water heater! I built a log manifold with two strombergs - but just didn't work the best until I added heat. Runs great!
    Egor, Did not quite catch what you were thinking, but yes All of the original speeders are gone. I was lucky to talk to two of them about 22 years ago, but lost contact before getting enough info. But learned some.
    You two be safe and HAVE FUNN!!! (edited because dumb me got the wrong name! So Sorry 282door!!!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Egor, 282doorUK and Six Ball like this.
  3. 282DoorUK,

Which Zenith carbs were you running?

4. 282doorUK

282doorUK

These old things, I got a bunch free, reckoned they looked vintage enough, so it was worth a try...

DSCF7239 3.JPG

With added ice!

Ice carb .jpeg

Jet96, Lil'Alb, Okie Pete and 4 others like this.
  5. 282doorUK

282doorUK

No need for sorry, but you saved me thinking whether to tell you or not :)

Do you have a pic of your heated manifold?

6. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

282door I tried to zoom in on both of the two pics of that side of the engine, but no go! Will have to go open up the enclosed trailer to get a close up. It was 102F yesterday and they just changed the forecast to 106F for today, so may be a few days.

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It would be interesting to somehow know how many people who don't run heat never see the ice under their hoods. :eek:

8. 282doorUK

282doorUK

So would I, most factory setups have some form of intake heat, with hot rods it's not seen so much, if ever.

Six Ball likes this.
  9. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Don't sweat it too much, no rush plenty of time.

10. Egor

Egor

I see frost on the mug, but what about it's mate? I don't think it matters unless you start getting icebergs in the venturi, these Chevy heads had the waffle bit in the intake to warm the charge going down the runner. Just wondering

Six Ball likes this.
  11. 282doorUK

282doorUK

I was experimenting by running it on one carb in that pic, and yes there were icebergs in the carb, the butterfly spindle froze and wouldn't turn.

I never heard that about the the waffles warming the charge, or any other plausible explanation for having them in there, so maybe that's it.

Egor and Six Ball like this.
  12. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

E0ABAF58-C23F-4829-A3C1-524AFEE20735.jpeg It's been a while. I'm sad Rich Fox is no longer with us, I enjoyed chatting with him over the years regarding Packard stuff. Here's the Hersom/ Butler Bros. car. Haven't found much about it other than the Olds head...

Outback, Lil'Alb, Okie Pete and 7 others like this.
  13. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

For a long time, I have been trying to figure out what to do with the "midget" 28 chev 4 banger that I got from Rich Fox. It is hopped up too much for the street, (11.5:1 compression, thin valve seats so need inserts or keep it running on alcohol, I know nothing about midgets, besides there are no midget tracks around here.
    I think that I have finally come up with it! I copied an article from (I think) the HAMB that someone put up. It is from a 1935 Modern Mechanix. It is a fairly simple dirt track racer (home built) That I already have most of the parts for. (Just sub a fairly hot chevy for the model a) My problem is that I am missing page 129. Does anyone have page 129?

page 2.jpg

Blackbob, Six Ball, Okie Pete and 2 others like this.
  14. 282doorUK

282doorUK

That sounds like a very good plan to me, I'd like to read the whole article, what's the month of the magazine?

15. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

That is part of my problem--- no month on any of the pages! If I get page 129, I can post the whole article here. Or should I post all of the pages that I have hoping that someone will finish it out.?

16. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Please post all you have, someone will have the missing page. I keep thinking my racer is too long, but if those pictures are anything to go by it's about right. I'd like to know the wheelbase they use for a start.

17. tractorguy

tractorguy

If you haven't already done so.......Get a copy of "Outlaw Racer" about John Gerber. He raced chassis's like this article all with 28 Chev. power. It would be a great use for that engine. Have fun

Okie Pete likes this.
  18. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Yep a really good read, his chassis was one of, if not the best and won consistently for many years.

He never understand why no one copied it at the time, but I believe there is at least one replica now.

Blackbob likes this.
  19. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

page 126f.jpg page125f.jpg page 128f.jpg page 129f.jpeg page 130f.jpg Jet96 just supplied the missing page! Thanks Jet96!!
    I have attached page 124 to a previous post, so here come the rest.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    Jet96, Okie Pete and Stueeee like this.
  20. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

missed on page125f.jpg e!

Attached Files:

Jet96, Okie Pete and Stueeee like this.
  21. guitarguy

guitarguy

@grumpy gaby 2 Any way to post them so they are bigger? Or email them to me? Looks like an interesting article

22. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Chad, if you double click on the thumb nail it should come up to full size. Let me know if that works for you.
    Boyd

23. guitarguy

guitarguy

I did, they only come up to a size of approximately 4.5" x 6.5" and very hard to read.

24. 282doorUK

282doorUK

That seems to confirm that my wheel base is maybe 15" too long, and that I'm around 100 lbs heavier than a Fronty Ford, which ain't a surprise cos I do have disc wheels which are super heavy!

I'm surprised to see the use of a Chevy back axle, I thought the 3 springer came about as the Ford type were so much stronger, but the reason for using the Chevy makes sense.

I've been wanting to shorten mine for a while, not to sure if I can be bothered though...

tractorguy likes this.
  25. 282doorUK

282doorUK

After you double click and the pic enlarges there should be an arrow top right of screen that opens the pic in a new window, try that.

26. guitarguy

guitarguy

Yeah, I just figured that out. Computer illiterate as I get older----and I'm only 50, so not terribly old yet, LOL

27. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Don't worry, I've had 28 yrs more practice than you! :D

28. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

I just put them back in as full sized. And at 72 this is pushing the envelope!

tractorguy and 282doorUK like this.
  29. What a great read
    Thanks for posting :)

30. guitarguy

guitarguy

@grumpy gaby 2 Thank You for posting this. This is a great reference.

Outback and Stan Back like this.