Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical **August is for a Bang of a Good Time**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by winduptoy, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Dusty,
    Just an opinion here, with the modern plugs, wires and fuels you don't need a mag even for the Hill Climbs.
    The motor needs to be in decent shape, not burning oil and if possible use a modern ring package on the pistons.
    Is running a Mag cool, hell yes, it is just another option.

John

Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  2. G Baese

G Baese

Hood ornament looks like Hispano Suiza, likely a J series with the disc wheels, mid 30's...

winduptoy likes this.
  3. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Good mail day,

20220819_173320.jpg

Certainly looks A, here it is with an old blown gasket,

20220819_173422.jpg
    I notice nearly all aftermarket cylinder heads use a B gasket, is this the case here? Looks fine with the A gasket.

Can anyone tell me what CC the factory combustion chamber is? I'd like to try and work out the comp on this one.

Is higher comp OK with a standard camshaft or should I be looking at regrinds?

Or, lastly, should I stop carrying on about it and just throw it on and run it?

Attached Files:

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  4. Removed the impulse drive out of the Wico JEM magneto for the A last night and made a coupling for a fixed drive. I’ll run a earth switch on the dash to fire the mag once the engine is cranking over. Nothing flash, just learning this stuff. I’ll run this until I can get the side drive sorted. 84E1D67D-0BA6-499C-9B32-90E7D264B9E4.jpeg 651C07D0-556F-4089-B5B3-0919D2468C78.jpeg

winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  5. I have a B gasket Paul if you want to compare it against the A.

6. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Cheers Chris, Henry's don't have any B gaskets on hand and couldn't tell me the difference. I might give you a call later in the week.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thank you

8. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Thanks for the input. Engine is fresh. Bored 60 over balance crank. Flywheel lignin to 34lb. 6:1 aluminum head, twin 81s ,red header 4 to2. . Just changed the jets to 41s. One of Jim's cam R1
    Been kicking around Mallory dual point or FSI with 12v. Been watching this trend pickup a lot of info and thongs to think about trying

9. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

tcr in Bayswater Victoria have them, as do Automotive surplus nearby them.

winduptoy and Dedsoto like this.
  10. Savage Coupe

Savage Coupe
    from Washington

Had a blast at the track last weekend. Car would not hook up at all. Lowered tire pressure to 18lbs and still just kept spinning. D44CA927-9BB7-4EDF-863A-49189FB927A1.jpeg

Super88, alfin32, Dustyp489 and 6 others like this.
  11. If you want to REALLY light up your 4-Bnager; put on a CD box (ex. MSD 6AL) & a 45,000 volt coil. You could put a Pertronix distributor (FSI) as a trigger. This setup is as good as a magneto (perhaps better because it does not rob H.P. at high revs. Having said all that; this setup is not period and race groups often ban them! Moreover, If you don't rev. your engine much over 3000 r.p.m. as most stock type Ford A&B's bottom ends shouldn't go; it is no great benefit! Of course neither is a "Mag"! Just saying

Dustyp489, winduptoy and johnneilson like this.
  12. "Wells" also known as Curly Wells, was based in the Central California, and Middletown areas.

After a chat with Tod Bentson in NorCal, we can confirm that Wells at-least made a front drive timing cover, a magneto drive side timing cover, and a cam gear.

Is anyone familiar with any other products that he made, or any info on him in general? 281211990_170477062069434_5185954910506716313_n.jpg 297660794_1030121864322157_1292031830959895904_n.jpg

14. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Haven’t seen that Mallory version before... but not the only magneto base dizzy out there. Here is an early right angle version on a T mag drive

CC64DD2C-58ED-4DE8-ADD1-C768FFF83809.jpeg

Old Dawg, 40 Olds, winduptoy and 4 others like this.
  15. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Hi Hance - enjoyed meeting you and make a few passes against you and Casey as the only bangers at the event. Have a great time down at RPM Riverdale BAT 3.jpg Riverdale Hance 1.jpg Riverdale Hance 2.jpg Riverdale Hance & Casey 3.jpg Riverdale Hance & Casey 1.jpg

Old Dawg, alfin32, Dustyp489 and 6 others like this.
  16. callcoy

callcoy

Bonneville
    Saw the couple that runs the Pre and Tech inspections at Bonneville late last week they told me that the all motorcycle meet had been cancelled. Received notification two days ago that two of the BNI staff was on the Salt and that at was the starting line for this years event still had 2" of water. The end of the road while you enter on to the salt was 6' deep, and was told that the World Finals where cancelled. In some areas where the salt was thin, pieces of salt dinner plate to hubcap size had floated away from the dirt under it. Before I left a lot of the salt plate/hubcaps had raised edges, if dry the course would have to be drug again when it was dry.

17. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

I have been looking at building a three springer. I have an article out of a 1935 Modern Mechanix that I would like to use as a guide, but I am missing page 129. I know that I got it from the HAMB, but searches have not found it. Does anyone have a copy of this article (with page 129) and could post it?

Thanks!

page 2.jpg

18. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

19. noboD

noboD

The power of the HAMB. That didn't take long.

winduptoy likes this.
  20. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Thank You very much Jet96! I had exhausted every idea that I had.

winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  21. I asked this over in the Chevy 4 thread as well, but does anyone recognize these carbs used on the Spurgin Giovanine restoration???

[​IMG]

22. Almost look like Motor cycle carbs.

winduptoy likes this.
  23. alchemy

alchemy

Isn't S&S a motorcycle carb?

winduptoy likes this.
  24. That's what I was wondering- they're not the originals (at one point the car ran on alcohol)

winduptoy likes this.
  25. brjnelson

brjnelson

26. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Good eye, I remember reading that Spurgin Giovanine car originally as raced had custom made side drafts

winduptoy likes this.
  27. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

Curley Wells- I met Curley one Memorial Day weekend while visiting with Carl Schmid at his place in Stockton around 1970 or so. Being Memorial Day, and with the big race about to start, Carl HAD to be in front of the TV for the start of the race, so he invited us in to watch the race with him and his friend. The friend turned out to be Curly Wells. Watching the 500 with these two guys and just sitting there as an 18 year old kid listening to their comments and knowledge is something I still remember to this day. After the race, Curly invited us to come up and visit him in Middletown, as he said he might have some shop equipment to sell and he would show me his collection of A/B speed equipment. I was just starting my shop, so it seemed like the thing to do. Over several visits, Curly freely shared stories etc. During one trip I purchased a line boring bar that I still use to this day. I was not aware that Curly made the mag drive and timing gear shown above. Curly made a few T timing gears and that was one of the reasons years later that I started making T and A timing gears. Curly had built a wonderful lowered A roadster pickup with a
    Riley engine in it that was a pretty strong runner. I recall he drove the A from Middletown to Calistoga when we had the Calistoga Classic T Speedster Races. My best memory was Curly driving into the fairgrounds in the A and I overheard some fellow say to Curly- "Nice car- too bad it has a Chevy in it". I caught Curly's eye, and he just smiled and drove on. AFAIK, Dave Wilton of MT Products fame, was the owner of Curly's pickup at one point. Pretty safe to say that Curly was just another hot rodder and car guy!

winduptoy, 25mercury and Jet96 like this.
  28. Thank you for that Dan. If I ever find myself in Northern California, I’d love to meet you and hear more stories about Curly! It’s great to Immortalize Americana!

As far as T and A parts, are you familiar with any other speed equipment that he made? If email/phone is easier, I can PM you my contact information.

winduptoy likes this.
  29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

could be HD