Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bootlegger vs voodoo cams

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Coburn, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

Ok.....at the risk of being TOTALLY ridiculed I have a cam question. First off here's my setup:
    350 .030 over
    JE flat top forged pistons with 2 valve reliefs
    993 heads
    Edelbrock performer eps intake
    Edelbrock 600 carb
    Stock hei with accel super coil
    Now, in the 41 I want a choppy, lopey idle. But I also want it to be drivable on the street and have enough vacuum for the wipers. I've been doing quite a bit of research and the lunati bootlegger 12224 looks to be what I'm after. The voodoo 268 looks pretty good too. I will stay away from the comp thumper as everything I've read about them says they have a cool idle and nothing else. Yes I want a rowdy idle but also want it to pull hard.
    If you're wondering why I want an idle like that, it's because I've never had a car that sounded that way and in a 81-year-old car I just think it will be cool. Hearing a rough idle is exciting to me.
    So with all this being said, has anyone used a bootlegger on here? Or how about the voodoo 268? Or am I just being silly??
    Don't be too hard on me.......

Blues4U and Vintage Jay like this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sounds like a lot of time was spent getting the rowdy idle, but trying to keep the street manners. I am sure you probably have already read this.
    https://www.dragzine.com/news/lunatis-new-bootlegger-camshaft-series-has-strong-race-influences/

I generally like the 268H for mild 350 builds, but that cam is not anything I have to use, it’s just one that seems to have good street manners and still have some vacuum for power brakes etc.

Cams are sort of like color choices. Personal preference. It’s like the old open ended question “How deep is a hole?”

3. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

Yeah I've been looking at all the tests on the bootlegger, they look really good but nothing recent, all from 2014-16. Hoping for some longevity reviews here.

4. Sounding cool vs. making a fun driver are separate items. . Most folks would be best served with an RV cam or a notch above and stock manifolds if it is just a cruiser. My 54 had folks thinking it was a BBC at times and it was all in the exhaust

X38, Budget36 and Dan Coburn like this.

5. Vintage Jay

Vintage Jay

I have no expirience with the voodoo or bootlegger but I used edelbrock before and was super happy. I may be off base eith this response for that reason, but I had a 350 with 10.5:1 compression, 62cc heads with 2.02 intake and 1.60 valves, dual plane intake, and used an edelbrock cam with a .510 lift and 234/244 duration and it worked excellent for what youre looking for. Was a fairly lumpy idle but I was abke to keep my vacuum everything with only a 2,500 stall converter and 3.73 rear gear. Cruised well but was a peppy combo

sixty3, Baumi, 427 sleeper and 2 others like this.
  6. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

This is what lunati was after, the best of both worlds. On the Dyno the bootlegger cams are impressive through the entire rpm range.

7. Are you building a race car or something to drive and go get ice cream?

19Eddy30, X38 and Budget36 like this.
  8. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

Why let the ice cream melt on the way home??

Randall, SS327, ottoman and 2 others like this.
  9. Mine is usually done before I leave the parking lot!

gimpyshotrods and Dan Coburn like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think it sounds ok for what you are looking at. I am looking for something along the same lines for a 327 I am planning on building.

Kelly Burns and Dan Coburn like this.
  11. I read this and just had to laugh. Sounds like something aimed at the Von Dutch cap market.:oops::rolleyes:
    I also like the use of 'up to' and 'depending.' :rolleyes:

The_Cat_Of_Ages and Fordors like this.
  12. I have the 268/276 cam in my car and I like it. It has a mild lope and a great pull to it. Street manners are good too.

Dan Coburn likes this.
  13. My Coupe has a Voo Doo cam. It gets up and goes!!! Don't know the specs, etc. All i know is...it's fun!!

Dan Coburn and Blues4U like this.
  14. jaracer

jaracer

Have you called and talked to the folks at Lunati?

Dan Coburn likes this.
  15. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

I have tried, no one answers. I sent an email Friday we'll see if they get back to me. I just heard they were recently bought out by comp, not sure how true that is.

16. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

How long have you had it? I'm hoping to get a cam that holds it's shape for a while.

17. 55blacktie

55blacktie

lopey/choppy idle with good vacuum is an oxymoron.

18. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

These days it's attainable with new lobe profiles apparently. The bootlegger is supposed to be one of them, but finding any recent reviews is non existent. Makes me wonder what happened. Did they all go flat or???

19. Just buy one, you know you want to.

Roothawg and Dan Coburn like this.
  20. 6 years so far. About 15k miles. Sounds the same as the day I broke it in. I was hoping it would be a bit more lumpy, IIRC the LSA is 112 degrees. The Bootlegger cam was one I looked at and may buy in the future.

Tman and Dan Coburn like this.
  21. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Different, but similar, I had a stock 454 BBC with a Bootlegger that sounds crazy radical. When I called I asked for the biggest cam I could use with stock heads. This thing even had a stock intake, just a cam and headers. When I pulled into the cruise spot, people thought it was I had the engine out of my racecar in it. I drove that car as a daily driver in the summer. I guess my long winded reply is I had very good luck with that cam, even though it probably wasn't being utilized correctly in that engine.

bobss396 and Dan Coburn like this.
  22. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Even with CARB-approved Ford Performance E303 cam, which has a 110 LSA and 220 duration @ .050, my brother-in-law has to be careful when entering/exiting his driveway because there's isn't sufficient vacuum for his power brakes at/near idle. A 112 LSA would have been better.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    19Eddy30 and Dan Coburn like this.
  23. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

I'm beginning to wonder if lunati is still in business? I've called and called and called, no answer and sent a couple emails with no replies. Seems a little suspect. I don't want to buy a product with no support behind it.

24. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Lunati is owned by Holley.

25. Jones St.

Jones St.

26. XXL__

XXL__

Not since 2008. In 2008, a private investment group bought the brand from Holley. Included in that group was Ron Coleman, owner of Comp Cams. His investment role is reportedly as an individual, and has no connection to the Comp Cams business.

indyjps likes this.
  27. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

All I know is no one answers the phone number that's on the lunati website. I really want that bootlegger cam, but I see summit no longer carries it so that adds to my suspicion. I dunno, just seems strange that no one will answer or reply to emails. Jegs says they have a few left, maybe I should just bite the bullet and go for it. But again, makes me nervous with no support.

28. Note: The dyno chart above starts at 3,000 rpm. Having said that, people buy this cam for the low rpm noise, not the top end performance.

osut362 and Dan Coburn like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

What type of support would you need from them if buying through Jegs?
    If it’s not machined properly to fit cam bearings, or it won’t degree in, you send it back to Jegs.
    Just speculation on my part, but maybe the cam wasn’t in enough demand to continue producing it.
    Could be due to workforce issues over the past two years. Again, just speculation on my part.
    But, just like when you “have a feeling” about any transaction with a private party, best to follow your instincts and find a substitute.

Dan Coburn and 427 sleeper like this.