Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Packaging

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carbking, Aug 22, 2022.

?
  1. See through packaging

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Manila paper envelopes

41 vote(s)
    87.2%
  1. carbking

carbking

40 years ago, we packaged our carburetor rebuilding kits in Manila paper envelopes.

We had a lot of complaints that the package had to be opened to see what was in the package, so we changed to polypropylene see through plastic bags.

Today, there is much interest in going green.

I don't use (proportionately) a lot of plastic. In 46 years, I doubt that we have used 20 cubic feet total. But I started recycling items 70 years ago, and have done so my entire life; thus wish to both satisfy my customers, and be as ecologically friendly.

So the question:

Would you prefer to purchase a carburetor rebuilding kit in paper or plastic?

Second question:

Would the use of paper cause you NOT to buy.

Thanks in advance to those that respond.

Jon.

tr_rodder, VANDENPLAS and Baumi like this.
  2. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

Paper because it is recyclable, our recycling center here doesn't take that kind of plastic. I have been recycling for years also.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. bchctybob

bchctybob

Admittedly, plastic is a huge problem. I don't mind receiving small parts in paper packaging, but I really like getting stuff in high quality, clean plastic bags that I then can reuse again and again. I keep and reuse probably 80% of the bags I get. It seems like mostly Chinese stuff comes in chintzy non- reusable bags.

Algoma56 and 1oldtimer like this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Paper. Very little plastic is actually recycled, and only two types account for most of that. Unless yours are type 1 or 2 plastic, they're essentially non-recyclable.

6. Plastic is the scourge of the earth.

7. I do too, I have a BIG bag of smaller bags :). Everything I take apart gets put in bags and when put back together the bags get put back into the bigger bag.

I say plastic, but make it one that can be reused. Paper in the hands of a bad shipper can lead to missing parts.

Hot Rodders are the original recyclers.

bchctybob and Algoma56 like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

no preference, as long as the parts are all there and fit right

9. John, I know you weren’t shipping to Canada for awhile, are you shipping up here now?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. atch

atch

I see both sides of the argument so don't have a preference. And when I get around to ordering kits from you what it's packaged in will not have any bearing on my purchase.

Maybe someone will invent see-through paper.

The best solution would be that recycling places start to recycle ALL plastic.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

plastic waste is everywhere. it is in our drinking water, little tiny pieces. fish are full of it. there are islands of plastic floating around the ocean. one company no longer using it will not make any difference, the planet is living on borrowed time. we have passed the point of no return.
    do whatever makes you the most money.

34 GAZ likes this.
  12. I like any type of packaging that can be reused and repurposed

tr_rodder and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. First question- Paper would be preferred. Any plastics here other than #1 or 2 is not taken as recycles.
    Second question- No

14. error404

error404
    from CA

paper. I believe that the "recyclability" of plastic has been over-sold to us.

RICH B, Speed Gems and Chicster like this.
  15. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Paper envelopes are good. Particularly the little ones that have the fold down flaps. They can be reused to keep niknaks.

Slightly bigger ones with shredded paper to protect things - usually those fall apart when they're opened but at least they compost themselves naturally.

Cardboard boxes with wadded paper to secure movement for larger items.

I would say, so long as they're labeled well as to their contents there's no real complaint. Perhaps add a note that while we intend to burn gasoline with your products, at least you're trying to minimize the impact by using packaging that is more environmentally friendly.

Phil

tr_rodder, VANDENPLAS and bchctybob like this.
  16. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

See-through plastic.
    When Amazon starts cutting back on all of their packages and packaging, and
    when we stop putting disposable diapers in landfills and stop worrying about
    the room plastic straws take up, I may consider to start getting serious about recycling.

BamaMav and Hollywood-East like this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

Paper that comes into my shop gets crumpled up and reused as packaging for one of the packages that I ship out. Ziplock style bags that are in good shape get saved and reused. Shrink-wrap type plastic packaging can't be saved or recycled and just ends up in the garbage. I'd take a re-usable, re-sealable plastic bag or a paper envelope, either one I can make use of, but if one is cheaper than the other I'd go for that.

18. Budget36

Budget36

If you are environmentally concerned, when an order it placed ask for an email account. Send the buyer a quality pic of what is going in the envelope. Heck, maybe a short video of actually seeing the parts going in as well.

19. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

If I had to choose something that made me smile when I opened it, then something like this, with the part number stamped in black or purple ink on the front and your contact details on the back (for when I need to order another one):

string sealed packet.jpg

The small, small parts (pump check balls, needles, main jet copper washers etc) came in little gum-sealed paper envelopes inside.

Reminds me of the HAMB-era spare parts that you could once get across the counter from Holden, Ford, Chrysler etc.

The cost of this type of packaging would probably be prohibitive though.

Cheers,
    Harv

20. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My house has a septic system...and a well...I don't like to think about recycling:eek:

Wanderlust and error404 like this.
  22. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I appreciate your concern on this issue, however the survey turns out.

John

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Paper, nobody's business what's in my package.:D

24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thanks for caring everyone

25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Jon;
    FWIW, from someone who doesn't buy a lot of anything, of late...
    Answer to 2nd Q is: No, I'd still buy. From what I can tell, you should be my 1st choice for carb parts/gaskets.
    Answer to 1st Q is: I'd rather it be in a small envelope for storing & handling & ID'g the Parts n proper#, but given my druthers, I'd be happier - unless you can show me why I'm wrong - that the parts would be encased in thin plastic 1st, prior to the envelope. I'm thinking that the gaskets shouldn't dry out as fast, etc. Not to mention, encased/sealed in a cellophane"mini-envelope", the parts shouldn't get lost when the paper envelope is opened to check things out(from experience. No, I didn't lose the parts, someone else did, & I found that out later). & I'm also the type who tries to acquire parts prior to when I need them & as I find/afford them(multiple projects), so that means they sit, usually for a looong time prior to used.

If you're talking only about shipping, then I don't care, as long as the parts don't get destroyed by the pkg getting torn open in transit or all bent to hell via rough handling(somehow, - I'll not speculate how or why here. Suffice it to say, the shippers have become a nightmare & that is including usps).
    Marcus...

26. tomcat11

tomcat11

The way things get handled during shipping these days a sealed paper envelop in a card board box. Nothing worse than damaged parts arriving in a beat up bag. Plastic should be 100% recyclable or biodegradable or not made at all. I say go back to glass!

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Whatever I can light the woodstove with.

28. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Doesn't matter to me as long as it gets to me in one piece. I don't do green...

Hollywood-East and 54delray like this.
  29. carbking

carbking

Thanks to all thank have responded so far.

On-line polls (doing this on three different sites) are running 3 to 1 for paper.

Telephone poll when customers are calling wishing to order kits are:

Existing customers don't care, as they are familiar with our product.
    New customers are running 9 to 1 in favor of see-through.

Will let the poll run a couple of weeks, but so far, this is why we went to the clear plastic in the beginning.

Jon

Stogy and Hollywood-East like this.
  30. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I cook with wood. I heat my garage with wood. I like to start my fires with a ferro rod, paper, wood scraps....gimme paper over plastic anyday!

Stogy and Baumi like this.