Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Chrome polish. Really?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Aug 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today I went to SIX auto pars stores to buy a bottle of Turtle Wax chrome polish like I have done a million times before. Nada. Not one damn store had chrome polish. Some of the know nothings tried to sell me metal polish. Nope. Ordered it from Amazon. What else are we losing?

46international and hrm2k like this.
  2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The adults and kids working in the auto part stores know nothing.
    I wanted to buy a battery for my T-Coupe at Auto Zone. When I told the "adult" that the battery was going into a Model T Coupe with a 51 flathead, he almost threw-up.
    He told me that he had never heard of such a thing and that they don't carry batteries for a Model T Flathead... Well, No Shit, STOOPID!
    I want a 12v battery and this is what I want.
    The idiot went to their book and pointed out to me that they don't carry the battery that I want for a Model T Flathead and that it is for other cars.
    I looked at the battery rack and pointed to the one that I wanted. He then proceeded to tell me that those batteries will not work for a Model T Flathead and they are for the newer cars.
    I left and went to NAPA.

4. "what else are we losing"...the highest impact is veteran knowledgeable countermen/women, who are/were passionate about cars/parts, who likely had their own Hot Rod projects at home.
    I don't want to just pile on the same old song and dance, but parts people (a very few exceptions) today, are merely key board operators, who would rather be doing something else (and we all kind of wish they would).
    We can't go back, we just have to do our own research, fortunately most all of these parts stores today have online cataloging.

5. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

C'mon man, if the guy behind the counter at the parts store was smart enough to be a HAMB'er, he'd be overqualified to work there, and would soon find a better job elsewhere. My MO is to look up the part online, screenshot the image of their page with their part number and show it to the guy. Then, they usually can get it right.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Did the counter Bozo ask for make, model, engine, year of car, the polish was for?

bobss396, Wanderlust, alchemy and 8 others like this.
  7. spanners

spanners

Plus did it have air con and was it an automatic?

8. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

How many time are we gonna resurrect this pointless snivel?

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

When was the last chrome bumper sold on a production car? They are all painted now. Trucks still have them or at least I think they do. I haven’t bought a new truck since 2002.

Johnny Gee, rockable and ClayMart like this.
  10. Do yourself a favor and order up some Quick Glow, best chrome polish EVER

[​IMG]

fauj and Budget36 like this.
  11. ray

ray
    from colorado

i was a bit surprised when i was reading about a chrome shop that was busted for dumping a large amount of chemicals down a river, this shop is still currently supplying Hex chrome to Detroit. what really surprised me, was they are using the hex chrome on chromed plastic.

Roothawg likes this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Their website is dead.

13. My grandpa polished chrome with peanut butter. I've never tried it.

14. Jones St.

Jones St.

Complaining about the help being 'know nothings' when you knew going in that the supply chains are screwed royally (*new normal) going on 2 years & that the companies that employ said 'know nothings' have been the standard for quite some time. Next time search on line or Contact the store of your choice to see if it in Hand/in stock before leaving your keyboard. Now, order extra on damned near anything while you still can afford to w/the skyrocketing inflation.

egads likes this.
  15. badshifter

badshifter

So….the auto parts guys are stoopid because they don’t know what battery your 1 off custom car takes? But you own your car, know what battery it takes but choose to call them stoopid, and idiots and take your business elsewhere even though you located said battery in that store?

Then you went to NAPA and gave them the same car description and they knew what battery to give you? Wow. That is some NAPA auto parts store.

16. indyjps

indyjps

Your painting polishing compounds work as well or better.
    Frustrating, but the stores likely stopped stocking it with so little chrome on cars now.

Closest walmart to you has it in stock

Screenshot_20220821-202154_Chrome.jpg

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

indyjps likes this.
  18. spanners

spanners

The chrome on this Holden ute was 14 years old when this photo was taken. It was an everyday driver, sat it dusty worksite carparks and towed my racecar hundred of miles to meets and that chrome was never polished, just washed when the rest was done. The place that did the chrome told me to never use polish and especially never use steel wool.

19. spanners

spanners

OOPS, pushed the wrong button.
    DSC00979.JPG

OzMerc39, Surfcityrocker and 34 GAZ like this.
  20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Thats why my dog keeps licking my bumpers! :)

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do not ever go into a chain auto parts store, including NAPA, without knowing exactly what you are there to buy.

Have the part number ready.

If they ask what it is for, tell them that it does not matter. If you have to, make something up.

I just say "...diesel generator, that's what's in it now. I just need another one."

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that chrome, or is that stainless steel?

23. I order it thru Amazon, the company changed hands years ago, this was just a random image I grabbed

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The chrome on plastic is still real chrome. You can stick chrome to anything that conducts electricity.

Bust a chunk at a self-service yard and you will find that it is indeed metal.

And yes, you can make plastic that is conductive.

Truckdoctor Andy and indyjps like this.
  25. My standard answer in 1970 Chevy pickup with a 307

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the "not car or truck" approach, because they cannot follow up with any questions.

Stops them cold.

27. I know, but you are right, go in with your numbers AND prices printed out ahead of time.

Just Gary and gimpyshotrods like this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

Tman likes this.
  29. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I call ahead to make sure they have what I want and sometimes order extra..........

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I haven't been in a chain parts store in a while. About all I buy from them is an occasional battery or aluminum brightener acid for my truck. I've got to where I just order from Rock Auto and wait on the mail. The chain parts houses usually have to order from their warehouse, so why not cut out the middle man and save some money to boot?

Truckdoctor Andy and Just Gary like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.