Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Pat Ganahl R.I.P.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky, Aug 19, 2022.

1. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Devastating. Condolences to his family and closest friends. Irreplaceable.

2. Horrible Tragedy. Such a loss of a great historian of our hobby. RIP Pat

Algoma56, Uncle Ronn, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  3. brady1929

brady1929

RIP Pat. I need to start treating every day like it could be the last. Sad news indeed.

4. prpmmp

prpmmp

5. 4274SPEED

4274SPEED

Very sad news ...RIP

Uncle Ronn and Stogy like this.
  6. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Terrible news, so sad for his family. Godspeed Pat!

7. Rockchip

Rockchip

Very sad news. Thoughts and prayers to Bill and his family.

8. Rand Man

Rand Man

Now I find out it was a crash in his dragster. Such a dang shame. As a fellow driver of nostalgia a dragster, I feel a deeper loss. That Wayne-head six powered machine was well built, maintained and driven. Tragedy. EB641106-79E2-4CD4-817C-58EF2A1D1F43.jpeg

Lil32, Hnstray, hotrd32 and 10 others like this.
  9. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

RIP Pat.
    Sad to hear. Have many of his books.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't tear up last night when I heard this. I am this morning.
    :(

I think that Mr. Pat Ganahl wasn't just a great hot rodder. I think he was an exceptionally nice man. He wasn't a tough guy. He was welcoming and gracious and kind.

When I was young and reading his words, it seems he had a way of making me feel like even I could be a hot rodder.

Thanks for everything, Pat.
    God bless you.

11. cabong

cabong

What a great loss !! I keep thinking back on when our paths crossed, both on a personal and on a hot rod level.... I can't think of a person who will be missed as much by as many in his hot rodding family... R.I.P. my friend......

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just got up and into my morning routine, opened up the HAMB and get kicked in the gut. I feel like I lost a close friend even though we only met via his printed words. So much knowledge has been lost, and for those who knew him personally, there is a hole that can never be filled today. The automotive world has lost a true giant, and many have lost a true friend. RIP Pat, you went out doing what you loved to do.

13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you, Pat, for the privilege of seeing this world of ours through your camera lens and writing. You made the world better for all of us who enjoy these cars. We will miss your humor and insight.

14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Wow, such a bummer. I never met pat but followed his emails for years. Almost felt like someone I knew ans was close to.
    He and his knowledge will both be missed

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

A great man. My heartfelt sorrow for his family and friends.
    Every beginning has an end. But so, too, does every end impart a new beginning.
    Don’t be sad because it’s over, smile because it happened.

16. Rand Man

Rand Man

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. D185D88F-746A-4C44-B760-9F431575BE8F.jpeg
    Just to be clear, I’m not posting about safety concerns. It’s about doing something you love.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Lil32, hotrd32, sled51merc and 24 others like this.
  17. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

This is absolutely devastating news. In my opinion Pat was the face and voice of American hot rodding. No, let me expand that to hot rodding world-wide. Now he is gone. I am so freaking bummed.

My heart goes out to Anna and Billy.

Algoma56, Uncle Ronn, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  18. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never met Pat personally, but I always enjoyed reading his articles and enjoying his photography.
    A number of years ago at the CHRR at FAMOSO, I shot a few shots of his very cool G.M.C. powered dragster. It was always one of my favorite old school race cars. So I share these shots of his dragster, and share my condolences to his family.
    IMG_3180 (2).JPG IMG_3183 (1).JPG IMG_3181 (3).JPG IMG_3185 (2).JPG IMG_3182 (3).JPG IMG_3184 (2).JPG

Lil32, 36 ROKIT, hotrd32 and 22 others like this.
  19. Midnight340

Midnight340

Damn! We love you, Pat!!! Wherever you are,
    I hope this time you are reading all of our words. Your words and your spirit were a great inspiration to us all!

20. 5window

5window

A beautiful car but no safety features at all. I didn't know Pat, but followed his writing for years. His blog posts really helped my spirits over the last few years and I miss him like he was a member of my family.

21. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Shocked and saddened. RIP

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rebuilt by Pat to exactly the way Ike Iacono raced in the 50’s. I believe it has the Wayne head Ike used. Pat told me he redid the car as original as he could. He was never going to race and only do exhibitions to have fun.
    I was happy when he and Anna finished the 33 and being retired to travel and have fun without any dead lines. His articles here on the HAMB was his way of sharing every he had saved in his stash for many many years.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Hnstray, Algoma56, 54delray and 13 others like this.
  23. fuzzface

fuzzface

Rip Pat, we are going to miss you.

24. Silva

Silva

Condolences to the family.
    Really bummed at this news, I've been reading Pat's stuff since the 70's, his legacy will carry on.

25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Here is the "original" GMC racing in living color at Lion's Dragstrip in 1959.
    upload_2022-8-20_6-58-1.png

Jnaki
    Here are some great photos taken by @41 GMC K-18 with some outstanding work by Pat, in the reconstruction.
    upload_2022-8-20_7-4-53.png

Hnstray, hotrd32, Uncle Ronn and 14 others like this.
  26. finn

finn

Met him at the GNRS in Pomona a couple of years ago, just before Covid hit. Walked up to him in his boot and told him I really appreciated his friendly, down to earth writing style.

Pat treated my like an old friend he had known for years.

Great guy,

RIP.

Algoma56, Uncle Ronn, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  27. cabong

cabong

Those wee moments in time that never fade, and remind us of just how inspirational and respected some people really are, seem to grow brighter as time passes. One of those moments for me involved Pat. I rescued an old hot rod from Catalina Island many years ago and groveled well enough that Baggy accepted it for the Oakland Roadster show at the last minute. It was placed in a remote spot away from any other cars. Early in the morning before the show opened, I came across this guy taking a picture of my roadster. It was obvious just who it was, even though he was hidden beneath that black drape behind his old camera on a tripod. I asked what he thought about that old critter, and very slowly one arm came out from under the drape, raised up, and pointed in the direction of the display. "That, my friend, is the best car in the show"........ Wow, the Hot Rod Gods have spoken. I walked away without touching the floor, and revere that moment now, and will forever !! Oakland.jpg

28. kvwberg

kvwberg

Shocked! RIP Pat

29. Wow…stunned…we lost a good one…never met the Man…but loved his work…Godspeed Pat