Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Pat Ganahl R.I.P.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky, Aug 19, 2022.

1. deucemac

deucemac

If there is bright spot in this dreadful news, is that for me, living in SoCal all my life. I would come in contact with Pat quite often. We would chat for a few minutes or for some extended time. We would see each other at various places including but not limited to LA Roadsters meets, GNRS, El Mirage, and even SEMA. I am devastated at his far too early passing and absolutely grateful for the opportunities to share time with him. Two quick remembrances. I was at El Mirage one time while he and Baskerville were doing photo work. I finally caught up with him, sitting on the tailate of his 56 pickup, fiddling with his camera. He was parked on the southside near the finish line. I asked him where Gray was, and without looking up from his camera, pointed to the finish line where Gray was standing what looked like 5 feet from the course taking pictures of cars as they came through the traps. Pat said, "he's over there, much braver than me!". The last one is when I bumped into him and I heard he was doing a book on Von Dutch. Having had a wild experience with Dutch pin striping 40 convertible I had helped a customer with, and the craziness that Dutch brought to the experience, I thought Pat might like it for the book. He told me the book was at final editing and he couldn't add anything at that point. He asked for the story anyway. He laughed, shook his head and said to me, "after doing my research, every story you ever heard about Dutch, well they're ALL TRUE!". Then he told me a few he got from others after the book went to final. All incredible ! Thank you Pat for allowing me into your life, I am deeply saddened by my and hot rodding's, but equally grateful to have known you. RIP, hot rodder you leave a void that is impossible to fill.

2. primed34

primed34

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are in a grieving way and like yourself I could not find anything referencing this tragedy...I suspect there may have been an accident involved but will wait for more news before assuming anything...I wish it was all a bad mishandling of information...but unfortunately there may be truth in the mixed messaging...

4. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

RIP Pat. You will be missed.

5. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

First read him in R&C in 1971. Invaluable asset to TRJ as well. Terrible loss.

6. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

7. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Struck by this. Memories will live on. Such a rarity
    I don't feel like sitting up tonight.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sad day for our hot rodding family. Pat was a gentleman and he was a great part of what influenced me and so many others with his writing, passion and knowledge of our hobby.

Rip Pat and God bless your family and friends.

9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Oh man, so sad to hear this. We have lost a treasure.

10. John Stimac

John Stimac

Rotten news, I helped him with coverage of the Bill Breece coupe. Very special man.

11. twenty8

twenty8

We have all been blessed and lucky to have had Pat Ganahl with us in our world.
    A legend gone, yet he will live on............. forever.
    Godspeed.

12. junkman8888

junkman8888

What a blessed life, to have so many friends and to be a friend to so many.

13. Woodie

Woodie

Very Sad News.!! You will be Welcome up there by those that have gone before you. They now have an Editor.!!
    You will be Missed.!!

14. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

A true loss for all of us who love hot rods. An incalculable loss for his family.

Uncle Ronn, John Starr and Stogy like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even David Freiburger didn't know much when he posted this on FB (20+) David Freiburger | Facebook

16. Dan Phillips

Dan Phillips

true blue collar hot rodder - very sad news . r.i.p.

17. Uribe

Uribe

So sorry to hear this , may he rest in peace. This is a huge blow to the hot rod world. I enjoyed reading his articles and will continue to do so. My condoleces to his family and friends.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This will be unfortunately a rough time for our group. Others closer to Pat and the situation will share the pain and his legacy but I'm sure there is a great deal of activity still going on around this unfolding situation. May he rest in peace.

19. XERB

XERB

Tragic news, sincere condolences to Pat's family. Grew up reading Pat's work it inspired me to follow that path...the world was a better place with Pat in it, may he RIP. So awesome meeting him in person with my friend Steve in 2016 at Santa Maria, treasured memory.

Attached Files:

20. Lil32

Lil32

Sad News
    Prayers to Family
    Met him at LARS, was standing near his roadster and as he walked up I
    asked " Are you Pat" his response was "Do I owe you money"
    He kindly signed a photo for me, great guy

21. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Major bummer, Pat was a real credit to our hobby/sport. I am glad to have met him a couple times.

From what I heard (and I wasn't there), he ran off the end with no attempt to brake. May have been a medical event. The track is certainly crude but not to blame. That would certainly put a damper on the start to a really cool event.

22. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

23. KKrod

KKrod

Oh no, terrible news. I'm in shock. My condolences for Anna and Bill and his other relatives.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Uncle Ronn, John Starr and Stogy like this.
  24. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

So sad to hear of Pat's passing. Loved his blog a lot. He was a hot rodder to his core. I will miss seeing him at all the places we would bump into each other. RIP Pat !
    My deepest condolences to Anna, Bill, the family and friends.

25. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

Rip pat! I feel so bad for Bill and pats wife. Heavy hearts for all close to him.

Uncle Ronn, Stogy and John Starr like this.
  26. John Starr

John Starr

Saddened to my core.

Within days of my wife and I moving in one house down from Pat and Anna ten years ago, they knocked on our door and welcomed us to the neighborhood with baked goods. Who does that anymore? Pat and Anna, that’s who! It’s one of my most cherished Ganahl memories.

Thanks for your friendship and help over the years, Pat. I’m so glad I told you that often.

27. :(

My day off yesterday and I was catching up with his blog.
    And now this.

Rip Too Tall. Quite the legacy you've left behind but.....I'm going to miss you.

Algoma56, Uncle Ronn and Stogy like this.
  28. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

No eloquent words here. Sad to have lost a giant of the hobby.

29. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

30. Jon Hill

Jon Hill

NO!
    Pat was a great inspiration to me as a journo on this side of the pond. Everything he wrote gave you hope and simply fired you up - from the story of re-tiling his own shower to explaining why the worlds top rods and customs are so.
    I was privileged to meet him once at Famoso (I think). Inspired me so much in my own writing and rod building. Such a sad day - much love sent to his family!