Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 56 ford car motor mounts i'm stumped

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot rust, Aug 19, 2022.

1. hot rust

hot rust

hello everyone , working on a new project and i need some info, it is a 1956 ford club sedan 2 dr and i am trying to install the starter and do not have enough room to get it in, my question is can i have the motor mounts installed backwards and would this create the problem i'm having. the mounts were off a new build 272 that was gifted to me. the mounts are installed with you being able to see the bolts that bolt it to the block from the front of engine, if they were turned around you would be able to see the bolts looking from back of engine, which way is the correct install for the 56 car. hope my explanation doesn't confuse anyone but the danged starter will not go.. thanks in advance for all your help

2. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Pictures man pictures, we can only guess what mounts you have : ). That said y block starters are notoriously hard to install particularly in cars.

loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  3. hot rust

hot rust

will get pics tomorrow i didn't have it with me today found the pic on google and these are the mounts i have on it. my mounts are the opposite way these are shown. is the picture the way they should be installed for a car?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  4. hot rust

hot rust

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just looked at my 56 and the mount is the same as the engine shown. If yours are not that way it’s incorrect. The drivers side is also like the one shown. Does the front still have the steady rest mount. Many take them off. I did 5 years ago.

6. hot rust

hot rust

o.k. looks like my mounts are installed wrong which must throw the engine forward, will swap them around tomorrow and see if that takes care of the problem....

7. Take the mount off. Install starter. Replace mount.

Wanderlust likes this.
  8. KenC

KenC

Been a long time, but I think I remember having to turn the front wheels hard left, then lay the starter on the tie rod and wiggle it in place between the frame an rod before it would line up. But I also think your mounts are installed wrong.

loudbang and jaracer like this.
  9. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Also make sure to have the correct shouldered bolts for the side and bottom, the top bolt is not shouldered, otherwise the starter can eat up your ring gear or jam.

10. hot rust

hot rust

swapped the mounts, it moved the motor back as it should be, starter still wasn't easy to get in but it's on......thanks for all the help

loudbang likes this.
  11. First thing you learn changing a starter on a '55-'56 Ford Y block is that the factory obviously installed the starter before the engine/trans unit was bolted into the chassis. Got to turn the front wheels hard left and you still need a universal joint between your wrist and elbow.

12. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I may be off on this as I have never owned a 56 BUT have had a lotta yblocks in different vehicles.In my truck, on the bell housing find the bolt hole closest to the engine block. Make up a stud the correct size (I used all-thread) When you lift up the starter you can first hang it on this stud and spin on a lock washer and nut. Worked for me in my circumstances. I know that the 56 is a very tight squeeze.

13. KenC

KenC

In addition to turning the wheels hard left as I mentioned earlier I had a 3/8drive extension cut and welded to the exact length needed. Insert the inside bolt into the socket on that extension and put it into the starter hole before lifting it into place. Start the bolt by 'feeling' it into the hole and turning the ext by hand. Then the extension just barely cleared the end of the starter and allowed a ratchet to work.

loudbang likes this.