Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's the point? Pertronix ignition...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Aug 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Good on you, Brian!
    Just keep a stiff upper lip! [ or sumpin like that]. We that are different and SMARTER need to have a tough skin, I guess. All in all, more likers than haters, I believe.

Now DRIVE the thing!

Ben

Truckdoctor Andy, Stogy and Algoma56 like this.
  2. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

first-time-james-franco.gif

Stogy, Algoma56 and Blues4U like this.
  3. 55blacktie

55blacktie

What you are saying is don't use solid-core plug wires with the Pertronix?

Stogy and firstinsteele like this.
  4. A good carb and a good set of points makes this worn out motor wake up instantly...

Stogy, Blues4U and Moriarity like this.
  5. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

6. Budget36

Budget36

That is priceless!

7. Budget36

Budget36

I’m not for or against a conversion, never have done one on a vehicle. The only issue I see and read about with points ignition, is getting a good condenser. Buying NOS points is fine, but I’ve heard of NOS condensers being bad out of the box from leakage or drying out.

Elcohaulic, Stogy, warbird1 and 2 others like this.
  8. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

I got my hands on an old school ignition coil tester recently, and spent some time getting it back in working order. An electric motor moving the points, a condenser and an adjustable gap to see how strong spark the coil can supply. Nothing with any kind of radio interference suppression in mind.

I thought it would be interesting to hook up my oscilloscope to it, to get a closer look to how the spark performs, things like seeing the voltage increasing and the spark duration reducing when the spark length increases.
    Some more info good to know: The oscilloscope is a computerized version, the scope itself is a separate box connected to the laptop by USB.

The interference knocked out the computer mouse all the time the coil tester was running. It knocked out the USB communication from the scope to the computer several times, requiring a reboot to get it running again. When it actually did work it showed some horrible voltage spikes that I normally wouldn't expect, I don't think that was the actual primary voltage, more likely it was interference from the spark on the secondary side.

I know some resistance in the spark plugs or ignition wires is common to reduce such interference, so I tried putting a 510 ohm resistor in series (just because that's what I had), the voltage spikes were reduced quite a lot.

So, as a scope test of sparks I'd call the entire test a failure, but it did show that some added resistance in the high voltage circuit absolutely can reduce voltage spikes and interference in other things nearby. If the manual to any electronic ignition system says to use plugs, plug wires or spark plug caps with resistance for reducing interference, you really should follow that instruction.

ekimneirbo and Blues4U like this.
  9. birdman1

birdman1

Wow, this conversation reminds me of what happens when you ask a question about what oil to use!!! It never ends!!

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Bro, I know you've been doing a good job on that car, but maybe it should leave your yard under it's own power before you wade into this conversation.

11. Parts have come in, will be a lot easier to fix the radiator when its on the ground, did some tuning, runs really great for having sat as long as it has.

Budget36 likes this.
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like the people who think if the pertronix fails you can't take the points you removed and put in your glovebox and put them back in.

put one in my old 49 sedan, then it would not start. turns out the original push button starter button had 12 volts going in and like 8 coming our the other side.

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
  13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great!! A pearl of wisdom from that paragon of virtue, Spiro T. Agnew.:D

ffr1222k, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never had a problem with my Pertronix distributor and coil. I run the stock look cast version. The engine runs smooth as silk with it. I carry a spare coil and ignition module just in case.

However, I did have problems with their PNX-600 rev limiter. After it went out, it wouldn't fire at all. I replaced it and haven't had any issues in a couple of years.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a side note with my '63 Nova - info in above post - previous owner installed a Tpe II distributor with a different brand high performance coil. decided to get Pertronix coil. lucky I did. There was some oil inside hole where distrib coil wire goes. not normal to me. also used stock angled upright bracket. this positioned coil upper lip against distributor cap. not good. added slight wedges under mounting bolt tabs to correct this. fully upright not style will not work. coils need to have some type of angle.

16. I went with a Chrysler 340 distributor on my 331 hemi. Just weld a 1/4" long tab on the end of the dist shaft and it bolts up. Added a MSD5 module and have a great system. I put an ACCEL clone of a Pertronix on my grandson's SBC and we fried two electronic modules within a month. Called their tech dept and they said I should ground to the body, not the engine. Did that and it runs fine. Electronics are dark magic!!

Question for the moderators; electronic ignitions are definitely NOT vintage HAMB tech but are allowed on HAMB. Conversely MII front suspensions are not vintage either but have been hard core hot rod items for many decades but are banned from discussion. Why the difference?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Because electronic ignition is invisible once the distributor cap is on. Pinto ifs is right out front for everyone to see.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    Baumi, Stogy, jimmy six and 4 others like this.
  18. KenC

KenC

Not a moderator, but this sounds a lot like one of the favorite sayings in the corporate world I left, thank God.
    There isn't a reason, it's company, or in this case HAMB, policy. Good enough for me.

firstinsteele and Moriarity like this.
  19. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

He probably will have a huge blown up one right in the middle of the back window... LOUD AND PROUD.

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well, there's the moist pointless comment yet. :rolleyes:

21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I made a point or 2....

moto_points_embed2441fede-5321-4384-9715-f4e261137bbb.jpg

Baumi likes this.
  22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Are you saying that only the Pinto version(s) of independent front suspension are not legal on the Hamb, or that any visible type of independent front suspension is unacceptable? There were some noteable cars built in the early sixties that had prominently visible independent front suspensions. Ed Roths Beatnik Bandit comes to mind.

I know its difficult to make "perfect" distinctions on what is nostalgic and what is not. I'd kinda like to see another "department" added to the Hamb and called "Newstalgia" where the 65 and older vehicle was still the standard for builds, but allowed participation by people who want to incorporate newer tech into their pre-66 vehicles. I think it would gradually increase participation on the site and draw some younger guys in to replace those of us who are nearing the finish line. It might cause some of the younger guys to investigate nostalgia and some of the older guys to broaden their horizons as well. At the street rod nationals, which is always heavily populated with 30s vehicles, I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of the 32 Fords sporting independent front suspensions. They are often beautiful cars, and to the average person full of nostalgia....but have some newer tech incorporated here and there. Personally I enjoy seeing them......and when I bought my front suspension, I opted for an independent set-up. I think the Hamb would only improve itself and expand itself if it provided a venue thats somewhat more inclusive while still mantaining it's exclusivity in the original format. The basic car/truck would remain pre-66 only. Anyway, might be something worth thinking about, because the fan base will only get smaller if we don't reach out and try to interest others in what the Hamb offers.:)

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan has made it pretty clear that he has no intention of allowing more modern type cars to participate here. when I said pinto I meant mustang 2 type and aftermarket variances of the same. all not allowed per the rules here. This place has a very narrow focus by design and as such is not for everyone. The internet is a huge place and there are forums for all facets of the hobby. Those that favor modern street rod type builds should seek out some of those other forums that cater to those builds... pretty simple really

24. she finally did it!

Budget36 likes this.
  25. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Converting is a process and these parts houses sell it by telling you it's all done in a jiffy . Converting anything you have to roll out the red carpet for your new addition you can't just slap parts on like slapping putty in a gorilla cage. People don't realize there's an input source and even output components will give you feedback which could be detrimental to the longevity of any electronic ignition system . Across the board of available electronic ignition systems the manufacturer is also relying on the quality of the components on their bread board . Also these systems need maintenance also you don't just throw it in and gaurantee it's a lifetime love affair with your engine . Automotive Electrics and Electronics must work harmoniously if that's a word lol

Budget36 likes this.
  26. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a Friend of mine who has been rebuilding dizzies for several years convert the distributor in the 312 in my 57 Ford . It has been running great for the last 5 years. I would like to convert the distributor on a tractor we use to run grain augers on the farm . John Deere and after market replacement points , condensers and rotors are poor quality. The last rotor I installed was to big and cut a grove inside the cap .
    Maybe y’all have a stockpile of quality ignition parts . But I’m having a hard time finding them . The 390 in my feed truck I gave up and converted to HEI . It was eating the cheap points on a monthly basis.
    So do what is needed to keep the old iron on the road .

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  27. sunbeam

sunbeam

So what does this distributor fit it looks like each set of points open and close one time per revolution.

28. sunbeam

sunbeam

Weren't condensers on generators there to bleed off any AC voltage?

29. ive always thought it was for the radio so you cant hear the generator generating on certain frequencies

Okie Pete likes this.
  30. sunbeam

sunbeam

But that's how they do it by getting rid of AC current. I hear about petronix stranding you then I see cars that you would be lucky to get a tire changed on the side of the road.

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.