Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Glory Days Vintage Drag Racing. Byron ILL. Aug. 19,- 21 2022.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Torkwrench, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

It's less than a month away. Who all is going?

This drag meet continues what was started by The Melt Down Drags. It's a great time with all pre 1966 and older cars, trucks and bikes. Racing all day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Open night racing on Friday night, and Group night racing on Saturday night.

ZZZ  Glory Days 2022.png

2. lake_harley

lake_harley

Driving about 6 hours one way and spending the weekend with a Nephew near Chicago so we can attend Friday and Saturday. I've only been looking forward to it since last year's Glory Days!

Lynn

3. I hope to get there on Friday.

Torkwrench, 427 sleeper and mad mikey like this.
  4. hrbhrb

hrbhrb
    from Polo,IL

5. Buckle up boys and girls, it’s gonna be good.

Torkwrench, 427 sleeper and mad mikey like this.
  6. I'll be there at the Gasser Wars magazine trailer under the timing tower and possibly in the swap meet

7. As usual Dad and I are registered with our two. 106920801_10216195440699063_3875104034407267848_o.jpg

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You guys and gals be safe and have fun.

9. I do mis seing you running the Salt Shaker at byron.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I always enjoyed those races. Maybe next year.
    Going to try and make a race at the end of August if I can get life out of the way to have time on the car.

11. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

12. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't wait! Hope the weather holds out for a good event!

Torkwrench and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I retired May first and have been bombarded with honey do list from my wife, my mother and my sister so I will be there next Sat, otherwise I am going back to work for a living, so I have time to myself again!

14. The weather forecast looks great for next weekend! Can't wait

Torkwrench, pprather and 427 sleeper like this.
  15. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Any one know if this is this projected to have a big turnout?

Torkwrench likes this.
  16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It usually does.

Torkwrench likes this.
  17. This is usually one of the larger events at Byron Dragway.

18. old school rodder

old school rodder

Just curious.. is Friday any better or worse than Saturday, neglecting weather?

Torkwrench likes this.
  19. cs39ford

cs39ford

It’s one of there’s bigger meets. Has a good turnout Friday and Saturday

Torkwrench and T&A Flathead like this.
  20. 6sally6

6sally6

Gotta hand it to Byron Dragway......their "event-planner" (or what ever its called) should get a raise in pay!!
    Seems as though they ALWAYS have some cool event planned to keep the attendance and racers coming back!
    So many of these guys just open the gate and "hope" some cool stuff shows up. Real low effort job.
    They seem to forget (or never knew!) ...it's the high attendance of spectators that pay the big purses for top quality races to come and compete for the bux!! One depends on the other.
    Seems Byron Dragway has "got-it"!
    Wish I lived closer
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 and Torkwrench like this.
  21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Both Friday and Saturday are good days for spectators with night racing on both days. Sunday has always been the slow day. Many of the long haul racers start heading home either late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

Starting at last year's Glory Days, Sunday racing was opened up to American muscle cars up to 1979, (O.T. here on The HAMB).

Byron Dragway also has live streaming of the entire meet. Here's the live streaming from Friday last year.

Glory Days Vintage Drag Race - Friday, July 16, 2021 - YouTube
    At 1:08:00 you can see my older brother Bob in his 57 BelAir Sport Sedan. :cool:
    At 1:08:45 you can see my oldest brother Larry in his 59 Impala. :cool:

And Saturday last year.

Glory Days Vintage Drag Race - Saturday, July 17, 2021 - YouTube

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Really bummed that I am going to miss the event. It would have made 10 years in a row racing at the Meltdown or Glory Days at Byron. My back surgery has not gone quite as planned and will have to plan on getting it back to normal so I can attend in 2023-hopefully. Byron has always done a great job and it has been the highlight of my summer. I will try and catch it live streaming if I can, but it will certainly not be the same. Hope you guys have fun and stay safe.

23. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

That's too bad, Jim. Hope that your back heals up well and gets back to normal. We'll miss seeing you there with your Vette.

chryslerfan55 and jimdillon like this.
  24. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have made the last 7 events, but sadly I won't be at this one. I had some motor problems with my new one during break in, and it seized up in 20 minutes. I was hoping to turn out a 10 sec run there but, now I won't.

Tony

25. lake_harley

lake_harley

My wife and I planned to be there along with another couple to take in all the sights, sounds and aroma of the Glory Days drags. I've been looking forward to it and it's been on our calendar since the dates were announced, and we planned to leave this morning to make a weekend of it. The last few days have killed the whole trip. I'm in a somewhat similar situation as jimdillon described. I developed some pretty intense pain in the lower back and pelvic area over the weekend and so far haven't gotten an opinion on what the problem might be after doctor visit and exam, blood work, ultrasound and CT scan. I'm way beyond disappointed to say the least. To those going, I wish you all a great time of some super nostalgia racing.

Will Byron be live streaming it again this year?

Lynn

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

That's too bad you guys. Hopefully, everything goes well healthwise, and with your cars.

There should be live streaming again this year. The weather is looking really good for Friday. Saturday and Sunday, not so much, but we'll see.

chryslerfan55, saltflats and slayer like this.
  27. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

All packed up and ready to go. Heading over to the strip in a matter of moments.

Cameo Towing 8 14 22 B.jpg

Cameo Towing 8 14 22 A.jpg

28. Friday rite now looks like the best day weather-wise, maybe even Saturday depending which way the rain heads,...we set up our swapmeet crew tent today, a few vendors showed up and probly a few more will pull in tonite, usually a real good swapmeet, along with at least a few hundred cars in the show area.
    ...It's my favorite show in this area all year...

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be sure to take pics & post here

30. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

My friend Matt and I drove the two and a half hours down from Wisconsin Dells. Got there about ten thirty. Weather was okay. Took about 10 minutes to go through swap, bought an old body hammer I did not need but had money burning a hole. Talked to a few different guys we knew in the pits, Saw Slayers cars and Torkwrenck and Jeff Jachob's Scarelane make a pass. I am well aware of issues with potential weather, cost of traveling and guys that I know that have been having a great deal of ongoing parts breakage. Thumbs up to all the guys who competed and the guys who worked the show. Going to head up to Rock Falls next month, but I fear these events are becoming a dying breed