Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. John B

John B

Ed, let me just say THANK YOU. Thank you for all your hard work, thank you for the inspiration, thank you for helping keep memories alive, but most important, thank you for being such a good guy. I'll miss these posts and the thrill of the hunt trying to find a little kernel of information that added a piece to the puzzle. Some of these posts became a great team effort and brought us all closer.

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah @OG lil E , this is without a doubt the greatest thread on the Hamb, hell it could be the greatest content on the entire internet! I can't imagine all the work that goes into this each time... Man Connie winkler was a fixture at the early Kkoa events.. It will be interesting to hear where he is and what he is doing today... Keep up the great work Ed

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I often wondered how I could share my picture collection with everybody. Thanks for helping me do this. You have helped make the HAMB a better place for custom lovers. Before your thread. It was all about Hot Rods. Customs are much more accepted here. Now I need to find something special to do on Tuesdays. Like work on my project car. You have touched alot of people in a good way in their connection with particular cars featured. Sons, daughters, wives, friends and even past owners. Good job Ed. See you soon.

4. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

I'm a late arrival to this thread, but I'm damn sure going to miss it!! Thanks to all involved for the love, dedication, and hard work that has gone into this Tuesday must read for me and many others. A first rate kustom history lesson indeed from many who were there.

5. Let me just say @OG lil E, that since I became a member of this forum I have always enjoyed your thread ( I also appreciate that you liked a few of my picture threads) I will miss it. That said I will just say vaya con dios and good luck.

6. WalkerMD

WalkerMD

@OG lil E Thank you for all you have done. And thank you also to the ones you mentioned. I’m going to miss this. But completely understand.

7. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

DSCN5412.JPG
    DSCN5411.JPG
    DSCN4051 (2).JPG Ed, it has been a great run. Thank you so much for all of this. I looked back at the first page, and there was @Sancho , @drdave , @Moriarity , and @stanlow69 from the beginning. It was Jim (Stanlow69) that brought me back to the HAMB. I found this place in 2004 at the urging of @40StudeDude. As the internet progressed, I still had a very poor, crappy browser. Loading pictures took foreeeeeevvvveeeerrrr and I eventually faded away. But Jim saw me at a swap meet or car show and told me about your W.E.H.T. thread and that I had too get back on the HAMB and check it out.

By that time I had upgraded to a better computer and so glad I did. At first I just read your posts, but soon after I was able to chime in with a picture sighting of Jon Gullet's Ford Coupe that I shot at 2013 Back to the 50's. I was hooked.

I know you don't like to toot your own horn and you rarely post pictures of your stuff, but I feel like sharing a few pics that I've shot at Salina KKOA.

First couple are from old Thomas Park. Your awesome Buick, next to your great friend, Mitch's Chrysler. The last one is about a couple years ago of you being presented a KKOA award for Most Spectacular Hubcaps that you run on your late model Merc. Look close and you will see the drawer pulls and bullets added to these classic Mopar wheelcovers.

Thanks for being such a good Kustom ambassador. Shining the light on the people that helped bring back kustoms in the late 70's and 80's is a task that not everyone would be up to. You nailed it.

Bill H

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I also give you props, and a huge "Thank you", OG lil E for keeping the Kustom memories alive!

9. ED! I don't even know what to say....
    First off, your time/health/family/work are all important! We ALL understand. Seems like I'm all too often reminded that our time is limited and you never know when it will be up.
    I won't lie though, makes me sad to see this thread end.

I can directly thank you @OG lil E for a lot of friendships started over talk of kustoms and tracking them down. You have mentioned most of them already. But what you don't realize is that because of this thread several of us made it a point to seek out and meet the others.

Missed talking to you and Mitch at the Spectacular this year but I know we will meet up again!
    Take care but do keep in touch as you can.

THANK YOU SIR!

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

maybe we can talk @OG lil E into doing an abbreviated version once a month?

11. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

We've actually got some unfinished business. We don't know "what ever happened to" all 300 of the kustoms that Ed chose to feature. Somewhere in the middle of this thread there was a post that brought us up to date on the ones that were 'found' and the ones that are still to be discovered again.

Perhaps us faithful readers spend a few weeks/months revisiting those still unfound kustoms? Think of it as trying to get a grade of 100 on a three hundred question pop-quiz, where you are allowed to use the book, or in this case, the interwebs.

We've had a kool teacher for this class.

12. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ed @OG lil E Thank you for the kind words and the hours you put into the thread. I can't imagine the time it took to do all of the research for the thread, it is mind boggling. You can see the passion you have for our hobby. You can read this thread for days and still not get through it. I agree this is by far the greatest thread on the HAMB. Understand needing a break because this is our hobby and lot more things in life that are more important.

Thank you for all that you have done to keep the Kustom history alive.

I know this post will be staying around for years. Happy Trails, Mick

13. drdave, OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  14. I agree @Moriarity. An abbreviated version of this thread is, in theory, doable. As to whether or not it’s possible is another matter.

drdave, Sancho and OG lil E like this.
  15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hadn't talked to Ed but I feel an abbreviated version would be great for someone else to step up and start a post. I cant imagine the process Ed went through to say he needed to take a break. He has a lot of passion for kustoms and this thread shows it. Looks like to me Ed wouldn't be able to do an abbreviated version. I would say we should respect Ed's post, he needs to take a break.

drdave, downlojoe33, Sancho and 7 others like this.
  16. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I also just wanted to take a moment and thank @OG lil E for all his efforts on this thread over the years. I was only able to contribute to a couple cars over the years, but this was always one of my favorite threads over the 20+ years of the HAMB. If Ryan ever started a Hall of Fame section, this should be included in it.

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to do more than just like it. Very Kool!

18. Wow, all these nice comments are too much! You guys are very kind! Nothing like having your peers say such nice things about you. You guys are the ones whose opinions matter to me the most. Over the years we've had a few people come onto the thread that kinda thumbed their nose at customs and the work we are doing here, but eventually they figured out that their opinions didn't matter to us hardcore custom lovers and they disappeared. Good riddance!
    I just wanted to say I didn't stop the thread at 300 because I was tired of the work. It was because of the way the economy is right now. I had to do something to help keep things afloat here at home. I worked two jobs for about 10 years from 1994 to 2004. Back then it was because I wanted to have extra money to build a custom that the one job couldn't do. After a while I managed to find people to help with getting my sleds off the ground, and what they couldn't do I learned to do myself. Eventually I was able to let the second job go and I was doing fine. Then along came this economy which I don't even want to get into the cause of, and it was like a sucker punch in the gut. I was still getting by, but after paying the bills there wasn't much left. I decided to get a second job again just to make sure we would be ok until the economy gets somewhat back to normal. I hope it does. This two job thing won't be going on too long. Back when I had the two jobs all those years ago it wasn't that big a deal, but now I'm really feeling it. I'm not exactly a kid anymore. Nothing like something like this to let you know father time is chasing you! Once everything settles down I should be able to get going on serious research again. Don't get me wrong, whenever I find a few free moments I'm searching the 'net, looking at books or magazines always keeping my nose to the ground. That next morsel of custom information might just be around the corner! I don't think my search for information on customs and their owners and builders will ever stop. It intrigues me to find out more about these folks who have given me so much enjoyment over the years. It takes me right back to being the young teenager looking at those magazines being amazed at the custom cars these folks were creating. As corny as it sounds, I almost feel like it is my duty to make sure those people get the respect they deserve and make sure they are remembered. It's the least we can do--especially for the little guys. That was one of the main missions of this thread. I wanted to make sure the guys (and gals) that built these cars in a little garage, shop or backyard were honored. We all know about the legends like the Barris Brothers, Bill Hines and Frank DeRosa, just to name a few. It's the guys that no one, or hardly anyone has ever heard of that I want to showcase here. Most are guys that may have never had a magazine feature car or ever won an award, but they were at all the shows promoting customs and having a good time. This reminds me of many, many guys I know. In the game for the fun, not the prize! I guess I'm just covering old ground here. Those of you that have been around the thread for a long time know what it is all about.
    I think Bill (@54delray) said it the best. "Unfinished business". There are still many cars out there to cover. I still have quite a laundry list of cars that I have little information on (wildcards) that I still plan on searching out information on. I also have a few feature cars that still need a little research and organization to button up that will be ready to go in short order. But, with my schedule being what it is, I don't have the time like I did to search, compile and prepare. The every-other-Tuesday timeline made it difficult to get a post put together that was informative and well done. I don't want the content to suffer because of my time restraints. This thread is too important to me (and all of you) for the quality of the content to suffer. Those that have been around the thread for a long time may remember when I was concerned about lack of pictures of customs that I saw on video but found no snapshots. I was reluctant to do the video still pictures. A few of you guys said I should do it anyway and I'm glad I listened. The pictures may have not been very good, but it helped the thread keep moving along. That is how I feel about just posting something thrown together fast. I want this to be a good record of these cars, that is informative, easy to read and will be a great tool in identifying customs for a long time.
    As far as Bill's "Unfinished Business" I went and did some checking. Out of the 300 feature cars to this point, we have 21 that are unsolved "wildcards". These are the cars without the complete owner's name or where he or she was from. I'd eventually like to find all that information to complete these posts. I'm always on the search for them--as you should be too. This thread isn't about me, it's about all of us using our resources and our memories to create the greatest KKOA custom history collection anywhere. If I do stumble upon more information on any of these cars I will post an update. I don't want to wait and have the notes or my memory slip away.
    Mark (@Moriarity) mentioned doing a once a month feature in the future. This is something that I think I will do eventually. I can't say how far into the future because of work and all that I already covered, but it will happen. After reading all of your comments a few things came up that I hadn't thought about in a while. The way that Jim (@stanlow69) talked about sons, daughters, wives and friends I realized how this thread helped many of the relatives and close friends of these car owners come HERE to ask questions and thank us for bringing their loved one and their sled into the spotlight, even though it may have been for a short time. Unbelievable how many times that has happened here. Amazing!
    Then there was @Sancho's comment about how this thread has brought people together and helped people "seek out and meet others". This is a great point. I'm not the most outgoing person in the world, and going up to people I don't know and talking to them is something I've always had a hard time with. This thread has helped me overcome that somewhat and now at a show I don't hesitate to walk up and talk to someone about their car. Many times they are happy to talk about their car, and seem flattered that I remember their car from a long time ago. It has been fun! Now if the thread helped me be able to do that, and help many of you to do that too, this is a good thing that we need to keep going.
    So keep it in mind that "I'll be back", posting feature cars soon, and I'll always do an update as they come up. Keep the faith y'all and remember, KUSTOMS RULE!
    We'll talk again very soon! E

19. I for one would be grateful for any further contributions you make to this thread, wether it’s once a month or once a year.

20. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

If and when you add to this thread @OG lil E, I'll be here reading and soaking it all in. Thank you in advance!

21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Ed,

A sincere Thank You from a late blooming "little guy". All my life, the "car stuff" had to yield to "responsibilities". I wandered onto the Customs side of the HAMB. Your what-ever-happened-to thread re-awoke an interest in customs that I had in the late 1950's. At age 75, I attended a Lead Ain't Dead show and was hooked. I started with what I had running, the body work and paint had to be sent out. A year later, I returned to Lead Ain't Dead with a custom.

20200909 Shamrock, TX - Cropped.jpg
    Over 2,200 miles round trip. Probably the further distance driven at the show. I was very honored to be given the Koolest Kruiser award.

Hang in there, your priority is to your family and to your health.

Thanks again, Russ

22. Hi @OG lil E,

I am one of your readers from Europe and though I was only a young boy reading the few US car magazines available back in the 80s when all the events in your thread happened, I absolutely love this thread. I agree that it's the best on the HAMB and has become the core of the Custom forum.

I am sorry to see it stop but can understand your decision. Everyone who has ever written and researched for an article, can appreciate the great work you did every week.

I hope it can be continued in some way or the other.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  23. drdave, OG lil E and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Thanks for chiming in guys. As always, appreciate the nice comments!

@TrailerTrashToo , just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed following your build on your little Volvo mini-sled. Back when my older brother got his first car when I was a little guy it was a Volvo. I loved that car. Still have quite a sentimental attachment to them. I'd love to build one along the lines of yours someday.
    I also enjoyed "riding along" on your adventure going to Lead Ain't Dead a few years ago. Great to see a person build a custom and then hit the road and drive it to an event that isn't just across town. Also dig the fact that you are a "mature" builder proving you're never too old to start and the fun is always out there. I know you had a slight fallout with the management, but I still look forward to any content you post about your little car. Keep it up my friend! E

@Surfcityrocker I've always enjoyed what you post, and think your custom is slick as a whistle. I wish that more American guys shared the passion and love of customs like so many of the folks overseas. Many, many of you guys get it even though American cars are the foreign cars over there. Thanks for following along on the thread for so long! E

On a sad side note, I got on the computer this morning and one of the first things I saw was that Pat Ganahl passed away. I actually heard myself gasp when I read it. Man, how can that be? I've been reading Pat's articles for years. He was a big part of my early days of reading magazines all the way up to today. His work always got me to dreaming about what it would be like to build a custom and cruise it. One of my favorite articles he wrote was about lowrider "bombas" for Rod & Custom. It was the August '92 issue. If you don't have it, get one and read the article. You'll love it!

Rod and Custom August 1992.jpg

Another great series he did in R&C was when he did a mild restoration of his '46 Chevy. I really enjoyed following along on that build.
    Funny how I just mentioned Pat in the W.E.H.T. #300 last Tuesday and now he's gone. I am almost too sad for words. I guess the Almighty needed needed him for bigger things and took him Home.
    My deepest condolences to his family, friends and myriads of fans. He will be missed. Vaya con Dios Mr. Ganahl..........E

Have a great Sunday y'all. E

25. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

So glad to hear this will carry on. Thanks for all of the hard work Ed, you are a ruler!

26. Well, as usual, here I am late to the party. Been out of town for a couple weeks and just getting my feet back on the ground....and of course, this thread is among the first things on my list. Took almost my whole lunch to "enjoy" the finale....if enjoy is the right word. Ed, the dedication you have showed and the time you have invested in this thing is incredible. I've enjoyed every word of it and am thankful you took on the task of looking for the answers to the question we have all been asking in our minds for decades since these great cars were built and cruised. For every "heavy hitter" there have been 100 little guys at the shows and in the garages. Thank you for taking the time to make their names known. I'm gonna miss it, but I'll also be peeking out of the corner of my eye to see if another report crosses the screen. I understand the pressures and the need to step back and I hope and pray things settle into a less hectic groove real soon!!

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’m bummed to see this close. I have been perusing this. I don’t post because I am a custom virgin and new to this side of things. I was raised by a 1950’s drag racer who never understood customs and why anyone would wanna build one. I ask @Moriarity, @Sancho and @straykatkustoms a lot of rudimentary questions and they always oblige.

Thanks for all of the research and legwork on this thread. Hopefully, you will come down off the mountain sometime and visit.

Root

28. Thanks for the kind words guys, appreciate that. Keep this thread in mind, remember, it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings (lol)..........E

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

chryslerfan55, John B, drdave and 3 others like this.
  30. user232345

user232345

I'd definitely be interested in finding and purchasing this one. "Red Iron" Mike is my uncle and I remember when he bought this. I've ridden to a lot of car shows in the back of this thing!

OG lil E and chryslerfan55 like this.