Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks guys. Ask and ye shall receive. Here are the details.

Can you imagine? I'd be happy to run any of those.

Big Al.png
    I wish I could have seen this thing run. I bet it sounded like a WWII fighter plane.

Thanks! More photos happening soon.

As far as I can tell, it's the original.

Hell yeah! Thank you for reading all the way through it. It's been quite a saga thus far. Next time you're in San Francisco, give me a shout. Looking forward to seeing where the road takes us!

Oh man I saw that. It's exactly what we need for the 'banger version. It's still too early to pull the trigger on something like that, but good to keep in mind.

2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sidebar 660: Off to the Races—Again

From Florida to Kentucky, Kentucky to...Michigan? You got it. I'm writing this update from the Great Lakes State. My report will be in two parts: First, the car update. Second, travel highlights.

Before we kick things off, I'd like to share something big. David and I are going to drive our roadsters to The Race of Gentlemen in Riverside, California—and race—in early December. That's right: a double Model A roadster road trip down the California Coast.

When he introduced the idea, I pretty much lost it. I couldn't believe it. "This December?! My car?" Yes. It's a lofty goal, but we're going to do everything in our power to make it happen.
    TROG Riverside Art.jpeg
    As a journalist, my world revolves around deadlines. This one, however, could be the most exciting to date. Not long after we put the pieces in place, we got right to work on Version 2.0.

Louie, 36 ROKIT, Outback and 12 others like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh baby!

Stogy likes this.
  4. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW ! @J.Ukrop
    That is going to be very cool. There is a lot of history there at FLABOB, its always been one of my favorite airstrips, and there are a lot of cool people there, that are into hot rods there as well.

Thanks for the heads up about this upcoming event, I may have to break a personal rule about flying on commercial airliners, and just go for it to attend this event.

Thanks from Dennis.
    These pictures are from FLABOB.

IMG_1026 (2).JPG IMG_1024 (2).JPG DSC_1002 (3).JPG DSC_1004 (2).JPG DSC_1006 (2).JPG
    DSC_1223 (2).JPG

5. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

Great project and photos. Like the pictures of the Office Depot. My brother worked there when it was a Buick/Opel/GMC Dealership. Across the Street is Roosevelt Jr. High. No, there isn't a swimming pool on top of the "tower", which was built as part of the FDR WFA program.

6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The fun never stops. I'm back in town for the week, and I'm excited to finally get around to the build thread update.

Before my Florida-Kentucky-Virginia trip, I was able to spend the day in Petaluma. With the TROG deadline on our minds, we had a renewed sense of purpose. So, what did we do? We made a master list.
    IMG_6174.jpg
    There's a lot to do, but I know we can make it happen. So, where to begin? I suggested that we finish as much of the chassis fab as possible.
    IMG_6176.jpg
    I focused my attention on the rear crossmember, which was only tacked in place. Using one of the sturdiest periodical mailers of all time, I created templates for my mini reinforcement plates.
    IMG_6177.jpg
    Next, I took to the bandsaw to cut all four of them out. IMG_6180.jpg
    When they were all cleaned up, David welded them into place.
    IMG_6201.jpg
    Sturdy stuff. IMG_6203.jpg
    Having the rear crossmember sorted out means that I'll be able to cut the rear frame horns next time I'm there. Can't wait!

7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As we worked, we had a handful of visitors—most of which were driving Model A hot rods!
    IMG_6175.jpg
    First, @Jeff34 cruised by in his pre-war A. Won't be long before it too will be getting a flathead V8 and juice brakes.
    IMG_6181.jpg
    Next was our friend Justin with his roadster. Originally hot rodded in the 1940s, he brought it back to life better than ever. Not long before the photo, he thrashed it on the Northern California Roadster Reliability Run.
    IMG_6192.jpg
    It's hard to beat a shop scene like this. Reminds me of an old Hop Up cover.
    IMG_6193.jpg
    One more.
    IMG_6194.jpg
    Hot rod bliss.

JalopyJimbo, enloe, dwollam and 18 others like this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

While I chipped away at the frame plates, David built a pair of rear U-bolt clamps out of some very old steel.
    IMG_6178.jpg
    Since we added the spacer springs to the rear leaf pack, the stock clamps no longer work. These will do the trick.
    IMG_6179.jpg
    I'm adamant that David doesn't work on this car when I'm not around, but it was really fun to have us working on separate pieces at the same time. I love the simplicity of these. They're heavy duty, and I'll always think of how much fun we had the day he made them—especially when I look up at my quickchange.
    IMG_6199.jpg

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As the day went on, we continued to check items off the list. We finalized the narrowed tie-rod with the new dropped ends.
    IMG_6195.jpg
    First, we reamed the dropped spindles to 8 degrees.
    IMG_6210.jpg
    And then put the tie-rod in place. I'm very happy with how it looks. Can't wait to paint all of this.
    IMG_6209.jpg
    I also plugged in the hairpin steering arm. We'll be dropping it when we dial in the steering. Note that I lopped off a piece of the perch pin for clearance. I'll do the same on the other side and clean everything up prior to paint.

10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Right before cleaning up for the day, I was able to break out my new, original King Bees from @nickthebandit. As I'm sure many of you know, Nick is a real-deal hot rodder who lived in San Francisco in the 1950s. IMG_6212-1.jpg
    I still remember how exciting it was to mock up headlights on Version 1.0 of the roadster. The same applies for Version 2.0!
    IMG_6214.jpg
    Now I need to find some tags. Building a headlight bar is going to be so much fun.

Tools of the Trade
    IMG_6216.jpg
    When David was making the U-bolt clamps, he was using center punches like these. He asked if I had ever worked with them and if I had my own set. The answer to both was no. Moments later, he walked over with these and gave them to me. They originally belonged to Bruce Gordon. What an honor!
    IMG_6218.jpg
    Is the pen mightier than the sword? In this case, maybe, because I now have a custom di Falco Fabrications Sharpie to cross more items off the roadster list!

11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_6207.jpg
    Here's where things are at right now. Progress!

While I was on my trip, parts trickled in from far and wide. New components include 6.00 x 16 Firestone whitewalls for the front, a master-cylinder, front brake hoses and the contents of this very special box.
    IMG_6945.jpg

JalopyJimbo, dwollam, Stogy and 17 others like this.
  12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That'll do it for today's long overdue update. The wheels keep on turning, and I have a handful of exciting things for you guys rolling out this week. Stay tuned!

JalopyJimbo, dwollam, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's happening!

Exceptional images. I'm getting fired up for the trip.

Thank you for filling in the blanks!

dwollam, Stogy, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  14. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I'm getting excited for you mate! on the downhill run!

Stogy, Six Ball and Nobey like this.
  15. Just a note. But if you flip the hairpin steering arm and have the tie rod come up from below, they are in about the same spot, as if you heated and dropped it and have it come in from the top. The reason I mention this, is that I have seen a significant amount of early hot rods with it done that way. While I won't say that heated and bent wasn't done. It certainly was. I think it was a slightly later addition to the "play book". Regardless. Heating and bending it makes it match the axle. Which is certainly more attractive. Especially on an open wheel car.

Stogy, warbird1, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  16. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

The most lost item in my shop, the Sharpie! I now have dedicated holders for them in specific sites in the shop, and yet they still run off and hide!

rpm56, Stogy, Atwater Mike and 2 others like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man those lights are perfect! My favorite for sure :)

when you pop the retaining ring off if you find some fabric in there I’ve found quite a few like that and have gathered that it was factory to keep it all tight to the bulb. Conversely if your bulb is lose maybe add some “shim” to it.

dwollam, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If David wrote your name on that without using another Sharpie he is more skilled than I thought. :eek:

IMG_6218.jpg

dwollam, The 39 guy, Budget36 and 8 others like this.
  19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Photoshop

Stogy, Woogeroo and Six Ball like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If you’ve been building hot rods out of old ford parts you get really good at doing things that shouldn’t be possible lol

Stogy, Woogeroo, Six Ball and 4 others like this.
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Once upon a time in the '60s a friend called me over to see his roadster parts he'd just 'found'.
    Accessory tube axle, welded brackets, very short hairpins, all chrome.
    Chevy spindles, Bendix brakes, the whole car had become a KIT!!!
    I felt like I was wading in milk... yuk.

Stogy likes this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! Day by day, this thing is getting closer and closer to becoming a car. I often ask myself, "When was the last time these parts were on the road?"

Great info! We plan to drop the hairpin to match. I think it'll have a nice, less-reproduction look.

Hahaha that's so true. We're trying to keep them all in order.

I've always loved King Bees. I actually put in the NOS Wagner bulbs. Great tip about the fabric.

He's a magician with this stuff.

Oh man! A different era for sure. It's hard to say for sure, but I think this car will be about 85% original parts.

Six Ball, Tim and Stogy like this.
  23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sidebar 9: Sticking With It

As I'm sure many of you have heard, we lost Pat Ganahl on Friday. It breaks my heart to even write that. Since then, I've been in a sad haze thinking about it all. At times I've been able to put on a smile, but at the bottom of it I'm really hurt. After feeling like this for three straight days, I did the only thing I could. I wrote about it. And you know what? Putting those words on the page made me feel a little bit better. If you'd like to read them, you can find my tribute here.

On Saturday morning, I made my way up to Petaluma. David and I agreed that even though we both were hurting, we needed to keep going. And I needed to keep writing about it. It's what Pat would have done. So, we looked at the list and got to work.
    IMG_7011.jpg
    When I walked through the shop door, I was carrying my latest treasure: my 1954 Hudson Hornet steering wheel that I bought off the H.A.M.B. The chrome needs some cleaning, but it's the exact wheel I wanted. A friend of mine pointed out that the center looks like a mood ring. She was right. On a ring of that nature, the green signifies a calm, peaceful disposition. Perfect for this car.
    IMG_7015.jpg
    Next, I broke out the cutoff wheel and tackled a task that I've been looking forward to since day one: bobbing the rear frame horns. For my money, things just went from Deuce to Model A territory and I couldn't be more excited. Per David's suggestion, I sprayed a little bit of primer for a more finished look.
    IMG_7017.jpg
    It's interesting that these rails were bobbed for a Model A sometime in their past life, too.
    IMG_7018.jpg
    Anyone want a fresh set of 1932 Ford rear frame horns? Let me know.

24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_7019.jpg Initially, I planned to combine the shock mounts and the headlight bar. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it would be best to make them two separate entities. That meant it was time to get to work on the F-1 shock mounts. As you can see, they were pretty crusty to start with.
    IMG_7020.jpg
    After cleaning them up, we put them in David's trusty fixture that he built while working at Vern Tardel's.
    IMG_7022.jpg
    Next up, heavy heat with the O/A torch. David handled one side.
    IMG_7025.jpg
    "If you don't apply the heat correctly, the metal will take on the consistency of dry Play-Dough," David said.
    Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 12.53.09 AM.png
    I gave it my all. I heated the bending point until it was bright orange, then I used the homemade breaker bar to slowly bend it to shape on the fixture.
    IMG_7030.jpg
    With a little sandblasting, they turned out excellent!

25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

But there was a problem. I'm using 14-inch shocks up front, which means that the mounts were too tall. After weighing our options, we decided to take a little more than two inches out of the freshly bent mounts.
    IMG_7045.jpg
    Shoutout to the bandsaw on this one. I beveled the long pieces prior to David welding them back together.
    IMG_7047.jpg
    I'm going to clean these up as my homework assignment, and then we'll finalize position next time.
    IMG_7046.jpg

26. Nobey

Nobey

The wheel looks great, you really made a good choice. You know sometimes you have an idea
    about something like a wheel, you put it in the car, car says no way. You think to yourself, what
    was I thinking. When everything blends and the cogs all mesh it's pure magic. You must be
    really happy with the way the rear cross member turned out.

J.Ukrop, Outback, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As the primer was drying, David and I took the opportunity to mock up my Weiand intake from my friend Patrick Knight in Kentucky. Months ago, David bet me $100 that my engine had adjustable lifters, since it was rebuilt. I told him I wasn't so sure.
    IMG_7032.jpg
    Looks like I owe him a Benjamin. I couldn't believe how clean it was inside. David says the lifters are Johnson.
    IMG_7035.jpg
    With carbs from Stromberg and 1950s air cleaners from Paul Roy, the engine now has plenty of vintage flavor. Note the narrowed tie-rod.
    IMG_7038.jpg
    Looking good! It's a quick update, but I figured I'd keep everyone up to date.
    IMG_7061.jpg
    Won't be long and we'll be back in the shop turning wrenches. I'm in Texas right now, but I'm looking forward to coming home and checking more items off that big cardboard list.

28. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our Man on the Move, getting crafty ! You have what it takes.

J.Ukrop and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Hey Joey, you may have mentioned it and I’ve forgot, but do you have an event/etc you’re targeting to have it ready for?
    Or is it just it’ll be done when it’s done?
    It sure is coming along nicely, we always see your pics and a smile on your mug, I bet when it’s done that smile will become permanent;)

Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and J.Ukrop like this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good! Reading your update out loud and sharing the photos with my 2.5 year old. He confirms “hotrod!”

see you in Oklahoma?

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Nobey like this.