Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SURVIVOR 1932 FORD 3 WINDOW CHOPPED 327 HYDRO OLDS REAR

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Green Voodoo, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

AF21_L6146_001 (2).jpg WANTED!! HISTORY AF21_L6146_004 (2).jpg WANTED HISTORY FOR SURVIVOR 1932 3W Chopped Coupe.

The car features:
    • Corvette 327 4BBL
    • Hydro with shifter mounted in front of driver's seat, for quick shifts!
    • Dago style chromed front axle with 40 -48 brakes
    • Chromed Olds rear and chrome transverse spring.
    • Mid 60's style square patterned Brown upholstery

EVL401, alfin32, Jalopy Joker and 7 others like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too “new” appearing for any history unless it was a total reconstruction that we would need to see before it was started. My C&O hydramatic shifter was like that in 1965. It kept the control rod straight.

3. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Jimmy Six, the wheels are a later "upgrade" probably fitted in the late 70s or 80s, but the car is not "new appearing" as you suggest. the car is an older build and has all the hallmarks of an early or mid1960s build.

4. Rckt98

Rckt98

Built in Australia or the States?

5. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Car was built in the USA

6. Fogger

Fogger

Post the state or city that you purchased the '32. May have someone locally that knew the builder.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  7. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Hoping someone will recognise the car and knows a former owner or its history.

8. alchemy

alchemy

When my Dad built his 33 tudor in the mid 70's, he used an upholstery pattern and color almost exactly like that coupe's. He also had a wooden dash insert similar to the coupe's. I'd guess this coupe is an early 70's build.

badshifter, mad mikey and 19Eddy30 like this.
  9. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Alchemy, did your father's 33 have a Dago style dropped axle, Hydromatic and chromed Olds rear end with transverse spring, 40-48 Front Brakes etc?

10. alchemy

alchemy

Nope. He was one of the first to use a Pinto IFS (pretty much the same as MII), with a Corvette IRS, and 350/350.

Maybe your car was built first in the 60's, then tuned up in the early 70's with new interior? Seems the paint was redone since then even, and I'd place those wheels in the 80's.

kevinrevin likes this.
  11. From what I can see, I would say late 60's-early 70's build.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Olds & hydro date it to '60s. Recall the big run on Ford rears (not to mention 350TH behind the ubiquitous small block Chevies...)

13. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

You might be able to date the start of the build by determining what year the engine block/trans/rear is...is there an adaptor? maybe you can find out when the trans adaptor was made? suspension and drive line say late '60's, engine and interior '70's, paint and wheels early '80's...probably started in the late '60's and "finished" by early '80's ...
    The USA is a big country so that's not very helpful...what state was it last titled in? ...good luck

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I saw that car at the RM auction in Auburn Indiana 2 years ago. It is certainly a mid 60's or earlier build. It has all the right parts from the era except the wheels and tires. It even has a super rare teakwood Moon steering wheel. not to mention the chromed Dago axle , Hydro trans and other vintage goodies. If I remember correctly it has a chromed L79 factory intake manifold on it. Part of the trouble buying at auction is that there is not an opportunity to talk to the previous owner....

badshifter, mad mikey and J.Ukrop like this.
  15. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

hmm...the running boards with Ford script scream mid to late '70's to early '80's to me...maybe the car started out as a previously built less "street rod" version then was rebuilt for show at a later date?

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the car was certainly first built much earlier based on the parts under it, that is not to say that nothing was added later....

Nailhead A-V8, 19Eddy30 and mad mikey like this.
  17. I agree Mark, the car was a early build and had changes done over the years and most likely several different owners. Thats how it presents it's self to me. Very cool hot rod with vintage drive train.

Moriarity likes this.
  18. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Cool hot rod and best of luck with the history

19. I enlarged picture and now realize it has a generator instead of an alternator and also appears to have single master cylinder. With those, I change my guess to early 60's.

alchemy likes this.
  20. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Can't help with any info, just wanted to say what a killer car!

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​