Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical multi carbs why so popular?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastcar1953, Aug 14, 2022.

1. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

The economy of a two bbl., the performance of 6

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Love my Horne 4x2 on my 40 Ford. runs as smooth as a gravy sandwich...

401.JPG 403.jpg

3. Performance wise...1 carb is good, 6 carbs is gooder! faster!!! Today, I think it's more about looking the part. Multi carbs look so much better on a Hotrod...even a Custom. If you never open your hood, single carb is fine. If you want to open some mouths...drop some jaws, multi-carb setups are so sweet. Many guys run 6 carbs but only two or 4 are actually used. All in what you like.
    Another thing to keep in mind...multi-carbs take more fine tuning, setting up, more fuel, more possible leaks. Good carbs, like the REAL Strombergs are very expensive.

mad mikey, swade41 and Kelly Burns like this.
  4. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Well, I have a new saying as of today!

mad mikey and Shalamo like this.
  5. mad mikey and Moriarity like this.
  6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Because in your lifetime , cars have been looked upon as conveyances with computers & efi , o.d. transmissions & an overwhelming bent on economy ( now pollution) & safety , you weren't able to experience what the 50's , 60's & even the '70's car culture was like . my oldest daughter is your age , she grew up with performance cars , trucks. Motorcycles , boats & snowmobiles , she " likes " because her dad does , her family drives a Prius .

Shalamo, Driver50x and Ned Ludd like this.
  7. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

What a stupid question! This forum is about Hot Rods not practical daily drivers. If the sight of multiple carburetors doesn’t warm your pants this is the wrong place for you.

mad mikey, WC145, swade41 and 5 others like this.
  8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If I'm not mistaken, the same oval port 427 Chevy made 390 hp with single 4bbl and 400 with the trips, up into late '60s. Maybe looks also had something to do with it.

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

haha, you're welcome... I got a million of em....

mad mikey and Kelly Burns like this.
  10. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I as well.

dana barlow and Moriarity like this.
  11. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

The way it was explained to me is with progressive linkage, youre driving on 2 maybe 4 barrels, the idea being fuel efficiency but if you mash it, all 6 open up and you get ze powa. That doesnt really apply to race applications of course but more of the general daily driver stoplight to stoplight car

scotts52 likes this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Probably a better set up….I just like the 3X2s, not sure why! Maybe it was because I was exposed to them at an early age? Not sure. And I have spent the last several years piecing a 3x2 set up for an FE together! I think I now have everything. 87995E68-9C31-45E3-9447-3C2FC4C88E54.jpeg 35F5465C-681D-4DD4-86E1-0179E1E7388D.jpeg

Bones

mad mikey, KKrod, deadbeat and 4 others like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This reminds me of what you saw in the Q&A section of Popular Mechanics!

14. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Yes!

carbking and Hollywood-East like this.
  15. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

The 327 in my '39 Coupe ran three Rochester two-barrels with progressive linkage; the first and third were blocked off.

I had no use for marginal power; it was the looks I was after.

16. Because it's traditional, although the electric fan is not.:rolleyes: HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    fordflambe, mad mikey, WC145 and 2 others like this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Better than any single four-barrel in both looks and performance.
    Tuning isn't difficult.

weber-lead.jpg

18. I never open the hood on my car as it’s filthy and not detailed and generally just plain ugly but the dual AFBs sure make me happy when I see them.

williebill, egads and rbrewer like this.
  19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

A rare Weiand Hemi WC3D I want to run on my merc, because it's cool. It's one of 75.

Attached Files:

rod1, mad mikey, WC145 and 3 others like this.
  20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

many many years ago after a long day of wrenching i took my old truck out for a test drive with my daughter,
    as we got in the truck she turned to me and asked "daddy, did they ever make a car with only one carburetor?"
    i said, "not in my world honey"
    as i peeled out onto the road we both laughed and laughed

true story

21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Multiple carbs , properly tuned , do not use more fuel

22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Originally it was done to hopefully increase performance by not only getting more fuel and air into an engine, but to distribute the fuel and air more equally to each cylinder. When you have one entry point for fuel and air and its in the center of the engine, the cylinders near the center of the engine tend to run richer than the cylinders at the ends of the motor. The reason for this is that fuel is denser than air and as the air makes the required turns to snake toward the end cylinders, it often loses some of the fuel. That is also compounded by poor mixing of the fuel into the flowing air. By that I mean that the size of the fuel droplets wasn't always atomized completely.
    IF (and thats a big IF) the multiple carb manifold was properly designed, it allowed the air and fuel to enter the intake manifold at multiple locations nearer to each cylinder and more equal distribution to each cylinder.

Performance carburetors can be tuned to perform well but they lack some of the benefits of fuel injection.....where fuel is sprayed into the intake of each cylinder.
    Then the air flows somewhat more equally to each cylinder without being affected by carrying fuel with it. They only conjoin just as they enter the cylinder.

So multiple carb set ups CAN provide more power if tuned correctly and installed on a well designed intake manifold. Many of the designs that originally were manufactured often provide no real benefit and can actually cost power in some set ups. So its as much about looks as it is about adding any real power in most installations. Basically if someone is really looking for power, they use either 3x2 or 2x4 set ups. Hope this answers your question.......:)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    sidewayzz69, carbking and dana barlow like this.
  23. goldmountain

goldmountain

I blame it on Hoyt's Hardware. The store had a built up model of the Monogram Big T on display. It had three carbs.

Boneyard51, Rickybop and 51 mercules like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I just love the look of a 4 bbl on a flathead V8 ford" said no one ever!

25. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I think Cadillac started with 2X4s on the 1955 Eldorado, but by 1958 or so some models had 3X2.

ekimneirbo and warbird1 like this.
  26. HAHA, That's funny. I bet you believe that....

27. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Try learning to tune correctly , then you'll be a believer as well !

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dyno'd my flathead with a known Holley 4 bbl. It made more HP, ran better and had a snappier rev with it over the three 97's. But the 97's look soo much cooler sticking through my hood.

mad mikey, WC145, X-cpe and 7 others like this.
  30. williebill

williebill

More is better.. except, well... a few things.

Nobody does this shit trying to be practical.
    Practical is found on The Boring Ass Car Message Board.

mad mikey, WC145, Driver50x and 6 others like this.