Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 1932 Ford Historic Hot Rods @ 2022 PBCd'E

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Here's the twelve 2022 PBCd'E V Class - 1932 Ford Historic Hot Rods.JPG that will be displayed on the lawn Sunday, August 21st:

• The Ted Wingate Roadster (current caretaker: Rich & Karen Atwell):

Ted Wingate Roadster on the cover of the July1964 issue of HRM.jpg
      V-01 description.JPG

• The Pacific Gunsight Special Roadster (current caretaker: Kim and Mitch McCullough):

Pacific Gunsight Roadster at Drag Strip.jpg
      V-02 description.JPG

• The Bob McGee Roadster (current caretaker: @Deuce Bruce Meyer):

Bob McGee (by Robert E. Canaan).JPG
      V-03 description.JPG

• The Ken Gross Roadster (owner & curator/judge of the V class: @Chopperken Gross:

Ken Gross Roadster.jpg
      V-04 description.JPG

• The Ray Brown Roadster (current caretaker: Peterson Automotive Museum):

Ray Brown #99 Roadster.jpg
      V-05 decription.JPG

• The Kirk F. White Roadster (current caretaker: Rob & Melani Walton):

Kirk F. White PC3 Roadster.jpg
      V-07 decription.JPG

• The Gray Baskerville Roadster (current caretaker: Jim & Chris Shelton):

Gray Baskerville Roadster.jpg
      V-08 decription.JPG

• The Tom McMullen Roadster (current caretaker: Mecum Auctions):

Tom McMullen Roadster.jpg
      V-09 decription.JPG

• The Ian Cusey Roadster (current caretaker: @FLAT-TOP BOB Owens):

Ian Cusey Roadster - 1962 R&C photo shoot.jpg
      V-10 description.JPG

• The Ed "Axle" Stewart Roadster (current caretaker: John Mumford):

Ed 'Axle' Stewart Roadster.jpg
      V-11 description.JPG

• The Randy Lauen Roadster (current caretaker: Ed & Sherry Gilbertson):

Randy Lauen Roadster.jpg
      V-12 description.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  2. 2022 PBCdE - Classic Car Forum - 'Deuces Wild -The 1932 Ford Celebrates its 90th Anniversary'.JPG
    The ’32 Ford is the hot rod everyone wants.

The Deuce, as it’s popularly known, was in production for only about six months, but it pioneered the first V-8 engine in the low-price field. Hot rodders wasted no time modifying those flathead engines and chassis for more power, great looks, and much more speed. Over the years, some of the most famous hot rods have been ’32 Fords -- and on Sunday, we’ll have a dozen great Deuces on the Concours field.

Learn more about the ’32 Ford's fascinating history from a panel of experts including noted hot rod builder Roy Brizio; award-winning collector @Deuce Bruce Meyer, (he owns nine ’32 Fords!) and @Jive-Bomber Jay Ward, co-founder of Billetproof and Creative Director at Pixar for the “Cars!” franchise. The panel will be moderated by @Chopperken Gross, author of “Hot Rod Milestones, “Art of the Hot Rod,” “Deuce!”, and countless articles on hot rods — and whose ’32 Ford roadster will be on the lawn this weekend.

Moderator - @Chopperken Gross:

Ken Gross.jpg
    Ken Gross, former Director of the Petersen Automotive Museum, is an award-winning journalist, having written 24 books and countless articles celebrating the automobile in over 40 publications. He also collaborates with Jay Leno on his column for AutoWeek. A Pebble Beach Chief Judge for 30 years, he is a member of the Pebble Beach Concours Selection Committee.
    Panelist - @Deuce Bruce Meyer:

Bruce Meyer.jpg
    Bruce Meyer is the founding chairman of the Petersen Automotive Museum Foundation. He is a longtime auto collector and member of three automotive halls of fame. He is also a Beverly Hills real estate investor and president of Meyer Pacific. He serves on the board of the Henry Ford Museum and St. John’s Health Center Foundation and is a founding board member of the CHP 11-99 Foundation, a nonprofit that provides assistance to California Highway Patrol employees and their families. Bruce is a member of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance Advisory Board and was instrumental in having the Hot Rod class added to the event. He owns such treasures as a 1932 Ford Doane Spencer roadster and a Bonneville Salt Flats belly tanker. In 2012, at age 71, he earned membership in the Bonneville 200 MPH Club when the 1932 roadster he was piloting reached 205 mph.
    Panelist - Roy Brizio:

Roy Brizio.jpg
    Roy Brizio opened his first shop in San Bruno, building hot rod chassis for Model As, Ts, and ’32 Fords. By 1980, he’d become one of the world’s premier hot rod builders. He builds straightforward hot rods that are simple but very well-detailed, with plenty of power. Perhaps the ultimate testimonial to Brizio’s commitment to his clients, is a heavy volume of repeat business. From celebrity musicians like Jeff Beck, Neil Young, and Eric Clapton, and famous athletes like Reggie Jackson to wealthy businessmen, it’s not uncommon for a single hot rodder to come to Roy Brizio Street Rods two, five, or a dozen times. “Without my customers,” Roy says appreciatively, I’d have simply been the guy in the two-car garage building roadsters for a hobby.” He’s had several hot rods on the lawn and one of his restorations — the ex-Jack Calori ’32 Ford coupe — won the class a few years ago.
    Panelist - David Steele:

David Steele.jpg
    David Steele is the Executive Director of the American Hot Rod Foundation, a 501(c)3 founded in 2002 by Steve and Carol Memishian for the sole purpose of Saving Hot Rod History. A native of Buffalo, New York, David grew up with a car-guy father who exposed him to everything from AACA and CCCA concours events, local drag and circle track racing, to his father’s SCCA club racing and everything in between. During his 25 years as a professional musician, David performed regularly on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with David Letterman, and played guitar on many hit records as a Nashville-based studio musician. Currently residing in Los Angeles, California, David now enjoys working on his vintage cars, judging at national concours events and hosting his hot rod history podcast titled, “The Rodcast”.
    Panelist - @Jive-Bomber Jay Ward:

Jay Ward.jpg
    As Creative Director for the world of Cars, Jay Ward consults on all CARS-related projects around the world, providing automotive and franchise expertise to both Disney and its partners in matters pertaining to Consumer Products, Interactive, Marketing, Publishing, and Theme Parks. He also serves as a liaison with automotive manufacturers and museums working on Pixar-related projects. Jay was the automotive and later franchise creative consultant on all three ‘CARS’ films, the Cars Toons, and Cars Land at Disney’s California Adventure Park in Anaheim, California. In addition to his work on Cars projects, Jay worked in the art departments of Monsters Inc., Ratatouille, and Brave, and served as the associate producer of the 2008 Pixar short film “Presto.” Ward also runs the campus classic car show, the “Pixar Motorama” hosting vehicles from Jay Leno, Chip Foose, and many others.

Prior to joining Pixar, Jay co-created and ran the traditional hot rod & custom show “BILLETPROOF” from it’s inception in 1997 up until 2002, when he branched into other automotive endeavors including being the Managing Editor for Hop Up magazine and now writing monthly articles on-line for The Jalopy Journal, reaching millions of vintage hot rod enthusiasts around the world. He currently resides in Orinda, California with his wife, their two children, and plenty of old cars and motorcycles.

3. KKrod

KKrod

Looks like it is going to great.

Nobey, Stogy and HEMI32 like this.

4. Bob @The37Kid -

Just an FYI that I'm gonna try to post "Sunday Live Coverage Pics from the Lawn" in this thread.​

- Todd @HEMI32

Jim Bouchard, Nobey, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

GREAT! Thursday is the Tour, viewing that is Free to anyone in the area. Look forward to all the photos.

Stogy, ct1932ford and HEMI32 like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

HEMI32, BrerHair and Stogy like this.
  7. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Deuce preview from Thursday's tour. Our beloved 32 Fords pale in comparison to the true classics, but what the hell.

IMG_9705.JPG IMG_9737.JPG IMG_9694.JPG IMG_9667.JPG IMG_9693.JPG

8. Thanks @The37Kid! ... Thanks @V8RPU! ... Here's some more photos from Thursday's events (i.e., Tour d'Elegance & Classic Car Forum):

Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Rémi Dargegen.jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Rémi Dargegen (1).jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Rémi Dargegen (2).jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Rémi Dargegen (3).jpg
    images by Rémi Dargegen
    for Classic Driver logo.JPG

Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Ken Gross (1).jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Ken Gross (2).jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Ken Gross (3).jpg
    images from the August 18th chopper_ken (@Chopperken Gross) Instagram feed

Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - Ray Brown Roadster (by The Guild).jpg
    image from the August 18th Facebook feed of The Guild's logo.jpg

Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Jay Ward (1).jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Jay Ward (2).jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Jay Ward (3).jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Jay Ward (4).jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Jay Ward (5).jpg
    images from the August 18th eastbay_j (@Jive-Bomber Jay Ward) Instagram feed

Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Roy Sorenson (1).jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - by Roy Sorenson (2).jpg
    Pebble Beach Classic Car Forum - 'Deuces Wild - Thursday August.jpg
    images from the August 18th roysorenson (Roy Sorenson) Instagram feed​

OzMerc39, 41 GMC K-18, Tman and 9 others like this.
  9. So wish I could have been there this year.

Stogy likes this.
  10. For those that don't like to click links:

Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - Ray Brown Roadster (by autoblog).jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - Ian Cusey Roadster (by autoblog).jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - Ken Gross Roadster (by autoblog).jpg
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - Baskerville Roadster (by autoblog).jpg
    all images by the Staff at autoblog logo.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  11. "Yer ol' Dad" Gray Baskerville's bitchin' road-duster!
    Those primered fenders prevented him from entering a "finished" car show. Gotta wonder what he'd think about deuce roadsters on the lawn at Pebble Beach?:D :cool::):D:cool::)
    Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance - Thursday August 18th 2022 - Baskerville Roadster (by autoblog).jpg

12. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

He was my hero

Stogy and Just Gary like this.
  13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I got a big chuckle out of the second post! I think it only mentioned one or two “owners” versus a lot of caretakers... I believe the origins of hot rods came about from young guys who wanted to own a car that could go faster and quicker than the next guy’s. I wonder how they would feel about their formerly owned car now being the property of a caretaker. Rather la-de-da vibe being given off just because there at PB?

14. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

I'm struggling to find Ken Gross' '32 as being "historic" or a least any more historic than any other '32. Is there any history previous to Ken owning the car or is it entered as pure hubris on his part as he's the moderator of the event? I would think they could have found a couple Brizio cars that would be considered historic.

15. Great thread and an excellent lineup of cars.

I understand Ken Gross’ roadster is display only

Stogy, Just Gary and HEMI32 like this.
  16. Fogger

Fogger

As I recall from the Rodder's Journal article on Gross' '32 it was built by Dave Simard from a collection of parts. In the above series of photos the full fendered Roadster with the white top is the Ian Cusey (spl) car that Ian owned when a member of the LA Roadsters. It's now owned by Bob Owens from Texas and was restored by Jamie Johnson at Hot Rod Haven in Albuquerque. Jamie and his dad, Jim, are '32 Ford experts and are second to no one in the quality of their work. Some may know Bob Owens as Flat Top Bobby and a nicer person you will not meet. Bob's Roadster definitely has a documented hot rod history.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    FLAT-TOP BOB, Stogy, teach'm and 4 others like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

To keep things interesting cars on the lawn at Pebble Beach, can't return for 10 years. If you think some '32 should be there this year, they may have already been there in the past 10 years.

jim snow, 41 GMC K-18, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  18. @Fortunateson -

Technically, they are all "owners" of these "1932 Ford Historic Hot Rods" ... but out of respect for the original owners / builders of each car, I chose to use the term "current caretaker" instead of "current owner".

Case in point: Although I'm the legal owner (i.e., my name is on the title) of the Hemi-powered, Chopped & Channeled '32 Ford 5wd Coupe that my father started building in 1954 ... and I have hundreds of hours worth of blood, sweat, & tears invested in building & maintaining the car; I do consider myself the caretaker of my late father's Hot Rod.​

- @HEMI32

Nominal, Texas57, alfin32 and 18 others like this.
  19. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Thanks Todd for posting this info and pics for those of us who can't be there to enjoy. Just having our hot rods in the company of some of the auto worlds elite is special. With time, we are slowly being recognized for our own uniqueness and beauty.

41 GMC K-18, Stogy, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  20. Here's some of the 1932 Ford Historic Hot Rods at the start of the Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance (Thursday, August 18th 2022):

Start of Tour d'Elegance (V-02) Pacific Gunsight Roadster.jpg
    Start of Tour d'Elegance (V-04) Ken Gross Roadster.jpg
    Start of Tour d'Elegance (V-05) Ray Brown Roadster.jpg
    Start of Tour d'Elegance (V-06) Lee Titus Roadster.jpg
    Start of Tour d'Elegance (V-08) Gray Baskerville Roadster.jpg
    Start of Tour d'Elegance (V-09) Tom McMullen Roadster (3).jpg
    Start of Tour d'Elegance (V-10) Ian Cusey Roadster.jpg
    Start of Tour d'Elegance (V-11) Ed Stewart Roadster.jpg
    Start of Tour d'Elegance (V-12) Randy Lauen Roadster.jpg

NOTE: These images are stills from this YouTube video:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022

21. Class V - 1932 Ford Historic Hot Rods.JPG
    CLASS WINNERS

Class V - 1932 Ford Historic Hot Rods - 3rd Place - Ian Cusey Roadster.jpg
    3rd Place
    The Ian Cusey Roadster - @FLAT-TOP BOB Owens

Class V - 1932 Ford Historic Hot Rods - 2nd Place - Pacific Gunsight Special Roadster.JPG
    2nd Place
    The Pacific Gunsight Special Roadster - Kim McCollough

Class V - 1932 Ford Historic Hot Rods - 1st Place - Bob McGee Roadster.JPG
    1st Place
    The Bob McGee Roadster - @Deuce Bruce Meyer

Class V - 1932 Ford Historic Hot Rods - Dean Batchelor Trophy - Lee Titus Roadster.jpg

Dean Batchelor Trophy
    The Lee Titus Roadster - Ross & Beth Myers

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    alfin32, 41 GMC K-18, Nobey and 8 others like this.
  22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOORAY!!!!!! SCRITCH SCORES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

KKrod, deucemac, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  23. KKrod

KKrod

All three of them are exceptional.

Just Gary, Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for all the photos. I watched the live coverage of the awards, some really great cars this year, hope to get there in 2023.

Bob

41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  25. Thanks for taking the time to share these pics and stories.
    Congratulations to the owners and restorers

26. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

All the "Scritch" has been erased . . .

SS327, primed34, HemiDeuce and 7 others like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Hemi..a group of Hamb freindly movers and shakers of the yesteryear...Good for Hotrod...

Nobey, 41 GMC K-18 and KKrod like this.
  28. Fogger

Fogger

Like Pete said, Dick Scritchfields version of the Magee '32 is long gone. It was a real record setting Hot Rod when Dick owned it. The current version is beautiful and a tribute to the Bob Magee build.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    Stogy, HemiDeuce and Just Gary like this.
  29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, but Scritch made the most history in the street rodding world, right?

Stogy, deucemac and Fogger like this.