Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A rdstr from scraps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nailhead A-V8, May 26, 2015.

1. dmar836

dmar836

Nice. Those ball adapters are a great idea. I might also suggest higher grade hardware, lock washers, and having a few threads showing on your nylock nuts. You might want to read up on the radius rod ball cap setup on one of the Model A forums. Not complex but it requires a little different setup. The parts are inexpensive. Not that I need to be right or that I'm criticizing but its the way the system needs to be set up.
    I would wonder about hard mounting my wishbone to my cast trans case without and springs on the caps. The necessary clearance to allow the ball to rotate without wearing out quickly yet still allowing proper caster and suspension geometry(and shock absorption) is shown in this thread:

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/fo...is/80198-wish-bone-radius-ball-info#post80205

D

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Outback and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  2. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Hmm seems to be blocked for non-members @dmar836 but thank you regardless

Stogy likes this.
  3. dmar836

dmar836

Yeah, I think Ford Barn might require a signup. Worth it to me for the info provided though.
    Best of luck,
    D

4. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Well I finally got a 2 day stretch when the the wife and kid went to stay at the Grandparent's...the car is now a couple towns down the valley so it's been tough getting out there to work on it...
    At first it was tough to wrap my head around where I'd left off and where to start so I thought well this build hasn't really had any major milestones...so why not bolt the the trans on and sling the motor in? tie it up to the rear and then I'll know where to put my motor mounts....
    s8 082.jpg
    s8 083.jpg
    But then I got to thinking... How do I know the rear axle isn't forward or back of it's original position??? On a stock model A the engine/trans is locked in by the midmounts but now it's just held loosely by the spring (which has worn bushings etc.) ...So now I guess I have to find some measuring points and figure out if it's forward, back or twisted etc.... sigh ok
    s8 086.jpg Uncovering the engine revealed the mice had been loving on (hopefully not in) the engine and the carb linkage frozen from mouse piss, the intake has fuzzy corrosion etc. Yay!
    s8 087.jpg So I went back to the mounting the body to the subframe...typical with these cars the botton 4-8" of the car was was completely gone or swiss cheese, over the years I managed to find a pass. side door post mount bracket and another that was a cut off from a car hit in an accident but no driver's side bracket...after musing on fabbing one etc. I thought maybe I could reverse engineer the squashed RH one. I unfolded it separated it from the outer skin and pounded it completely flat....on an old tire I beat the formed bulges back into the bracket on the opposite side then bent back the flanges in the opposite direction...the hard part was were the hinge bolts go through as that part wasn't reverse-able but the hammer did it's magic again and now it fits great and looks just like the other side...
    2021-2 289.jpg 2021-2 290.jpg
    s8 089.jpg s8 090.jpg s8 091.jpg s8 092.jpg s8 094.jpg s8 095.jpg
    s8 096.jpg
    I know there aren't a lot (if any;)) following this build but if anyone has any thoughts on centering that axle as always it's much appreciated

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could you not measure from the spindle back to the axle center as in the original wheelbase...One other thing is you could convert to an open drive line with u joints then you can position it anywhere that suits...I'm not sure of the front axle and cross member you have whether it is stock position or not?

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  6. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Hey @Stogy Thanks for chiming in! I thought of that, it is stock model A... unfortunately the front wishbone is now on the loose too as the original locator for that was the transmission flywheel cover lol

right now both the front and rear are leaning outward for sure...the bushings are shot (while in the mock up stage) and the torque tube is sitting on the brake swingarm right now and the front is waving around in space

I'm going with the stock Model A rear and torque tube length...it's bolted to a '37 3 spd....it seems like this should be elementary but yet getting it wrong means all kinds of trouble for alignment, tracking and stress on the 94 year old parts

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's interesting in a way...these old forgotten hulks were driven many times body and frame cracked in numerous areas running balding tires mainly due to the roads and lack of funds for anything but food on the table...and here we are adding a few more beads and repairing them to be revived again for a new day in the near future...

Hows this for an option...plan b if you like...

I know you want to have some things in place to feel the vibe of the potential ahead...so why not fab some brackets that can be clamped in place and moved forward/aft and side to side that can be used when all points are in place for the final reposition...that way you have usable mounts and you achieve a further vision to help direct the project...thats a win win in my eyes...

Basically you need to shop around in A Threads here and look at aftermarket mounts to fab a set to clamp up...and support the Engine/Trans...

I have seen some clamp a bar across the top of the rails and sit the block on to fab mounts as well...

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a Ford Forum but not The Fordbarn aka Jalopy Journal Fordbarn...

For those that don't already know you can log onto The Fordbarn with your Hamb Screename and password...

I have changed my password to the Hamb and the Fordbarn still uses my old password...other than that it's a great place to glean details...

dmar836 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  9. dmar836

dmar836

So if we are talking the rear mounts at the trans, there are several options primarily hanging off the front of the middle crossmember. They have to hang well below the crossmember and come forward several inches. I’ve not done it yet but have considered making trans mounts out of the original A rear motor mounts. I’ve not mocked any up but I wonder if, even with their weird shape, they could be modified and used with some biscuit mounts.
    D

Stogy and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  10. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Thanks again @Stogy i'll check that out...yeah that is my plan in a nutshell...forge ahead and dial it in later:D;)
    I have a sort of K (or even X) member I could build out of a model AA truck trans mount and a pair of cut off A frame rails...but right now I'm leaning toward just leaving the frame stock and going with an idea I had where I sliced a piece off of the stock A trans. mount brackets and flipped them around (post #171) ....I was thinking of just attaching a pair of them to the middle crossmember as the trans. mount...

Stogy likes this.
  11. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

As you wrote that I was just explaining my idea along those lines lol ...see post #171 of this thread...great minds think alike:D
    [​IMG]

Squablow, dmar836 and Stogy like this.
  12. Things have been pretty much covered in the 6 hours, dinner and movie got in the middle, since I started this post; but here goes anyway.
    I'd first double check your frame for twist, squareness, and X measure for sure.

Next bolt the engine, trans, torque tube, rear axle, and rear wishbones into one piece.

Solidly block and support everything where you think it should go.

Pick out a spot and make a center punch mark in the same place on both rails. This can be reference point all during your build.

Then locate the rear axle directly under the hole in the end of the crossmember. I'd then take a piece of flat bar for each side and bolt one end in a convenient hole in the frame and after double checking the axle is still in place and the same distance between it and the frame; weld it to axle enough to secure it place.
    I usually use muffler clamps around the axle with flat bar going to the frame; but that won't work with your spring over A rear axle.

You can also check the front axle when you get that far using the same center punch marks.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  13. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Stogy likes this.
  14. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

After I pulled the mangled bracket out of the even more twisted and wadded up outer skin. I had straightened it to a point where I thought maybe I could use it as a patch for the missing bottom of my RH post....straightened up the bent and broken hinges while I was at it
    s8 003.jpg s8 004.jpg s8 005.jpg s8 006.jpg s8 007.jpg s8 008.jpg s8 011.jpg s8 013.jpg 2021-2 289.jpg

15. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Driver's door.................... from scraps
    S8 084.jpg S8 083.jpg

16. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Love your work!

17. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Cheers mate! much appreciated...been through a lot with this car... 2 floods, a surprise baby, 4 moves, theft of the rear 1/4's, etc. started off as a really rough coupester, became a swiss cheese roadster, back to a more solid coupester, and finally a roadster again (minus the bottom 3"s lol) but one thing that has stayed consistant is that it's made 100% from cast offs ....every single part on this car (except engine) was cut off another restoration or hotrod and deemed junk...fairly soon the body and running gear will be going together for the first time!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    Outback and WalkerMD like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man another good thread I’ve been sleeping on! Time To catch up :)

19. A Boner

A Boner

Any chance you could get a part time job, to make it possible to purchase some better parts, rather than spending lots of hours saving almost rust/dust? I appreciate you tenacity, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Nailhead A-V8 and alanp561 like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

What fun would that be?

alchemy and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  21. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I'm not the only guy on here facing adversity (or maybe I am ;) lol) 2 of the biggest have been a lack of shop space since the flood and raising a 2nd family in my old age...I get sundays and mondays off and my wife (yep believe it or not) has just suggested that I use them to work on the projects!! I've recently got the shop issue worked out too so stay tuned I should be updating sun/mon for the next little while...

Outback, RICH B and Tim like this.
  22. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

@Tim Ba ha ha ha ha:D

Outback likes this.
  23. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Yessir, now that is progress!!

25. Outback

Outback