Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The AUGUST 12 FRIDAY ART SHOW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Aug 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My understanding of the rules is that you can post art you created, or art that you actually own, in this show. If you're just posting other people's art that you like, but for which you don't have the rights, that's what the Saturday Art Show is for.

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will relay this to @Jeff Norwell for his opinion...When I'm dead and gone and before that, if and when someone shares my work, I would be personally honored provided they give Credit to the the Artist with the post...If that is not known a Credit to the Artist Unknown is a minimum requirement...

If your printing and selling others Artwork without permission that is a different ballgame...

The key here is anyone posting Artwork without Credit to the Artist or Unknown Artist basically gives the assumption that they themselves did it...that is my only criticism...

@Moriarity clearly Credited the Artist...again anyone posting Art not their own must/should Credit the Unknown or Known Artist.

I enjoyed for some time here sharing past Artists work that was not my own to expose their work to others to appreciate giving applicable Credit that anyone viewing knows it was not my own doing...

Others, not All shared masses of work not their own without Credit again giving anyone viewing the impression They are the Artist...That blew up in our faces...They were called out on Occasion right here and not positively either...One time was Gary C and not only that his work was cropped with his signature cut and of course NO Credit

I never Share others work without giving some form of Credit and the Saturday show should be giving Credit as well...

Unfortunately this has proven to be a real stickler here due to a few disregarding or not understanding the complexities of their decisions...

It's kind of like My Ole Hotrod...I get asked ALL the time did you build it...My answer is always the same. No it was built by so and so...Taking Credit for Others work is genuinely unethical...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    3quarter32, Jigger, 51pontiac and 7 others like this.
  3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moriarity did more than credit the artist. The art belongs to Moriarity since he said the artist created it for him. I think that's the key.

Jigger and Stogy like this.
  4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CREDIT !

I guess I'm the exception. ALL of my posted artwork here on the HAMB is FREE to use, reuse or duplicate.
    Most of my 50 years worth of artwork was ONE USE only stuff...flyer art, T-shirt art or cartoons from my Street Rodder Magazine days. It then got buried away in my portfolio (for years)...which does no one any good. If ANYONE can find a use for, and give a new life to any of my old artwork (and several HAMBers have), I feel I've at least, contributed to the hobby in some small way...and that's good enough for me. 1987.jpg blue.jpg use5.jpg

Spoggie, Sancho, Okie Pete and 19 others like this.
  5. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Why, Thank You Jack. Glad you enjoyed creating.
    In school, my only A s were art class. Never really pursued it.
    In the pic above, I'm looking down on the cut down coupe.

chryslerfan55, hotrodjack33 and Stogy like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jack you have contributed to the Hobby through your entire career through your participation in wherever your Art was used...events, monthly columns, T-Shirts...yes most is all part of the historical big picture here now but at the time for example your work made events possible, put smiles on those who saw, hung and wore your designs also aiding in profits to your businesses of contract...

You have every right to give your work to the Hamb artistically inclined to utilize in collaboration with their own works without credit and I am one that took you up on it...most that have to date have shared their thanks to you in kind, including myself...regardless of the fact you didn't ask for it...it also highlights why you should rethink your contributions to the culture as a whole...

I don't build Aircraft any more but my work is still contributing to fighting fires, health and getting people around the globe their goods and to their travel destinations...

I guess it takes looking at things from a different perspective...anybody who helps me create gets credit regardless of their association with my Art...I know and am truly thankful for it...and thank you too...

J_SC2c.jpg

Again credit to the Artists is a small thing to ask when a work is shared and does highlight an important distinction in an Art Show...or where Art is being shared...

My Collaboration with your Artistic Hand was and always will be a honored, credited event. Thank you

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The A Bone Hotrod meets the Bone Stock A...:D

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may be right, my opinions are just based on my limilted exposure to copyright over my years as a Graphic Artist which is hugely complicated subject. There are many here that are much more at liberty to direct how others work should be shared for the entertainment purpose here...that is why I would like Jeff to share his views...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CryslerfanbeachY.jpg

:rolleyes:...Hamber @chryslerfan55 and his beachen F100...

Credit to All That Inspired This

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Doing a little work on the side with Dean at HRG... a really patient man,
    As for giving credit.. very simple.. just state who the creator is or if you don't know or not sure.. just simply state that.

Good stuff guys...thank you.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Chavezk21, e1956v, Sancho and 17 others like this.
  11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

During my heavy work weeks when I get 30-45 down waiting upon clients. I scribble up stuff that will really go nowhere... Between work, family and my cars.... time is a supreme commodity.

Very good show guys this weekend.

Image 2022-08-11 at 8.00 PM.jpg E7BFD785-B454-471D-A585-B7DCE02DC2D6.jpg

Spoggie, e1956v, Sancho and 17 others like this.
  12. I knew about Jack’s generosity and used one of his roadster images in a hand flier invitation to a little breakfast run I put on, it generated a couple of positive comments, and was much appreciated, thanks again Jack.

41 GMC K-18, hotrodjack33 and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @Jeff Norwell for the info and you sure have a way with Art...always enjoy what you others are up too...;)

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

J_SC2_fv3.jpg

:rolleyes:...my full on Collaboration utilizing @hotrodjack33's Artwork so graciously offered to us...

All digitally altered, enhanced and rendered in Photoshop...

Thanks Jack...I just love this work...

mctim64, Sancho, Okie Pete and 9 others like this.
  15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Working on getting some space to be able to continue its evolution.. every time I see this rendering with one of my favorite Art Deco facades in the background, it keeps me fired up . When Brad Masterson gets back in So-Cal hopefully we’ll be able to make more progress. Thank you for the post Stogy ;).

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To all that participate and contribute to the FAS, I say thank you !
    This is a great venue to share with fellow HAMBERS, what we draw, and construct, and photograph. Observe the guidelines, but don't be afraid to think outside of the box.
    Thanks from Dennis.

I make my own wrapping paper out of white butcher paper, for special gifts to friends. The center hot rod, was a cut out section from the recent Greenwood car show poster, here in Seattle. The rest is all colored pencil and magic marker, the gift inside will be delivered to a fellow HAMBER today.

hoodlum wrapping paper full black dot.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ONCE AGAIN, SETTING A BAD EXAMPLE:eek:

Thanks for the kind words guys, but...

My apologies to all you professional artists out there...offering up my art for free use sets kind of a sets a bad example.

I know "pirating" of Copyrighted/registered/protected artwork is a real problem on the internet, but maybe, just maybe, by offering of my FREE stuff, it might keep someone from pilfering your stuff.

Myself, although being a "competent" automotive illustrator, it has never been any kind of career or money making venture for me...more of just another tool in my "bag of tricks". I certainly don't want to be stepping on the toes of those professional artists out there.
    And THAT'S exactly why I do it:D;). Thanks buddy:).
    xrod3.jpg xx1.jpg 0.000.jpg

Wanderlust, e1956v, rbrewer and 16 others like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ElCamino3'.jpg
    :rolleyes:...A El Customino...one of a series I did based on a request by @41 GMC K-18 based on a more snotty looking Street warrior some time ago...

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oakland_FE_A22.jpg
    https://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=107074

:rolleyes:...Like their Chevy friends many Vintage Cars were full of wooden structure and flopped onto the earth but if the wood was good and they were still of reasonable shape the possibilities of a real cool Hotrod are highly evident...this was a Coupe a Hamber was eyeing for a project...I did this Inspiration for him...

21. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

A question for all of the contributors to FAS…
    40 years ago my sketches were “loose”, much like some of the amazing drawings posted here this week where there was enough detail and approximately correct shape to clearly identify the vehicle but “loose” enough to allow the artistic side to flourish. Now, after a long career in engineering and CAD drafting I am struggling to regain the ability to loosen up the accuracy. It seems that I spend so much time being technically accurate I lose the ability to have some artistic “fun “ with the sketch.
    Have any of you been in the same boat? Any suggestions? Most of the “fun” drawings I have attempted since getting back into drawing have been abandoned half way through…they just didn’t seem right.
    Anyway, I would welcome any advice. The artistic skill set on this board is amazing so I hope to continue learning from you folk to improve my craft. Thanks and cheers!

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps an investment or a free painting/drawing app might be a good sidekick to your dilemma...Nowadays I just photograph my sketches and open them in Photoshop and edit away...

I have an free app on my phone called Autodesk Sketchbook and if your phone or tablet has a stylus you can draw right on the screen...and you can make very big custom canvas's with it...

0_20220218_155546.jpg

:rolleyes:...I did this with it...I also imported the bxw Coupe image I shared on the 1st page with the crude Flames/licks on the side and the smoke wafting over the rear tires...

Free program with lots of power...see link below...

I have Photoshop proper but there are many cheaper programs that have similar capabilities at a cheaper entry level...

All that jibber jabber aside drawing freehand is very rewarding many times...get your sketches as close to what your wanting before you get it in the digital environment...

https://www.sketchbook.com/apps

It's free and I don't get all kinds of ads either...in fact none...

rbrewer, Sancho, 41 GMC K-18 and 6 others like this.
  23. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

I used to use Photoshop…recently switched to a free app called iArt for my iPad so that is what all the drawings I have posted have been done with. It is not nearly as powerful as photoshop but rather simple to use. My main issue is allowing myself to go away from the engineering approach where one inaccurate line ruins a drawing. Maybe I will just have to finish one of my discards and post it…perhaps they are not as bad as I think.

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The great thing in digital is the undos and cut, move, duplicate, and, and, and

...Still have your original...I use the bezier tool to draw my lines in sketches as they can be edited to any angle you wish...

I can spend many hours on these inspirations...

41 GMC K-18 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

This is an example of a drawing I did that I think turned out ok…but every time I try to make a bit less technical and a lot more “art” I end up walking away from it. 1EF3389F-F69C-4309-8E5D-9A97A469FBD0.jpeg

RICH B, rbrewer, 41 GMC K-18 and 11 others like this.
  26. ...I used to draw like this, trying to get every line just so, upload_2022-8-14_15-9-22.jpeg

Chavezk21, e1956v, rbrewer and 13 others like this.
  27. ...now, over the last 2-3 years, I've "loosened up" my stuff to what I refer to as "chicken scratch" or quick sketches,...I like this much better...if a line or two doesn't look correct, you just throw in a couple more scratch lines to help it out....hope this makes sense.
    ...anyway, it makes it a lot more fun and relaxing., and that's what it's all about for me.
    woodart 2020 010.jpg

Chavezk21, e1956v, rbrewer and 16 others like this.
  28. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Yes..that is exactly what I mean. Both look awesome but the 2nd one looks more fun…I think I just need to play with the lines more. Thanks!

41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Visualize! I don't know about any of you other guys, but I already know what a piece of artwork will look like before I start. The real trick is to coordinate my eyes and hands to produce what is in my mind/imagination. used5.0.jpg

rbrewer, Sancho, JimC and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.