Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical **August is for a Bang of a Good Time**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by winduptoy, Aug 3, 2022.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Kevin Pharis

looking good!

ever thought about doing a run of Winfield "M" float tops?

winduptoy likes this.
  2. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

I kicked it around years ago... but never ended up running the carb I had, so the project never took priority. I know every darn cover out there is broken, and most of the running carbs have glued together covers. Wouldn’t be a big deal as the hardest part of the cover is the ball detent tower, and I’ve already figured that part out! Very similar to the S/SR.

ADB4B160-8F50-4B7C-B481-3615C2D0E37D.png

I gave all my model M stuff away, and not really lookin to get involved in any more distractions right now... but if a handful of fellas were interested...?

3. Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    v8flat44, Old Dawg, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  4. Best of luck with the every day guys !

winduptoy likes this.
  5. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

This just came up on marketplace, seller is figuring out shipping from the other side of the country. He knows nothing about it apart from thinking it's low comp, looks like a pretty small chamber to me.

Can anyone identify it or share their thoughts regarding compression?

20220807_191623.jpg 20220807_191704.jpg 20220807_191727.jpg 20220807_191748.jpg

6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bummer, just got word Bonneville Speed Week is officially cancelled due to rain

7. Yeah Speedweek is canceled
    Picking up trailer this morning

Attached Files:

winduptoy likes this.
  8. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider
    from Australia

I see it's missing some water outlets too. May be for a Pommy motor, small cube?
    Still it's cool.

winduptoy likes this.
  9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Anyone running the IA285 camshaft?

Thinking of pulling my Stipe 340 cam out and going to something more radical... I need some more lope in my life....

Brierley CAMSHAFTS.JPG

Savage Coupe and winduptoy like this.
  10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@stubbsrodandcustom I'd call Brierley and have a chat with him. In my mind it depends on what you want to do with the car. It looks like you drive it and that is a factor. I have a banger buddy that has a coupe that he drives routinely...long trips in there too, and he had a ' high rise, performance cam' that lacked lower end torque and wouldn't make it up a hill without a downshift or three. He did a cam change in it to install a cam that performed in the torque range, he drives it in. It runs real respectfully and he has assembled a Roadster that is more purpose built for 'racing'. Brierleys cams are regrinds and to get the base circle and achieve the lift, the cross sectional diameter is reduced on the adjacent areas of the cam. It can need additional internal support especially if you increase the valve spring pressure...but, that's another discussion

Old Dawg, burl, 29 Speedster and 2 others like this.
  11. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Listed as A model, water pump and outlet flanges are definitely A, I may have to wait until it turns up and CC the chambers, could weld them up and re-dome if need be I guess

Midnight Rider likes this.
  12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

bummer john ! i guess next year

winduptoy likes this.
  13. Thanks Steve, it sucks
    Friday afternoon it was looking real good, set trailer up and went for dinner.
    Sat morning about 4:00 was awakened by hard rain and standing water at Bend in the road.
    Pulled buddies pickup out of the mud and went for breakfast.
    The rest of the day was watching the boat ramp and hoping.
    Next year we will do it again, John

winduptoy likes this.
  14. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Checking in, been awhile haven't had much internet time. Almost ready to put the good engine in. IMG_6199.jpg IMG_6197.jpg IMG_6198.jpg

Savage Coupe, Jet96, v8flat44 and 9 others like this.
  15. 5280A2

5280A2

16. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Checking in , been busy working on the 1930 coupe -cutting grinding and welding "new parts" to install my 1932 engine and gearbox ,get the clutch and brakes working from brackets attached to the engine,splitting the wishbones and getting the drop down brackets made for the front end.Pictures soon (if anyone is wanting to see my dodgy fabrication !)

17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sure we want pictures

18. Hell yes!
    Pictures and videos please
    My Son is learning what not to do with some of the sketchy stuff I do
    J

19. callcoy

callcoy

Bonneville 2022
    Yes it was cancelled, we pulled in last Wed after lunch, they were just finishing up the overhead canopy on Tech Inspection row. Sent the evening with most of the BNI Crew, learned they could only scratch out two courses this year, a long and the short which was to double as the Rookie course also. My daughter, who is in charge of Pre Inspection and I setup for 8:00 AM inspection opening Thursday. I had a chance to look over a few cars, but never made it to the pits.

Rick Vesco was in line with the Turbinator, had a chance to share share some photos of his Dads 4 Banger streamliner I took in 1960. His dad built that and ran it the first time in 1957, with a Riley 4 port, the car design of which caused some to say it was going to fall over. The car was voted the the best engineered car of the meet. When Rick started driving, they stretched to install a Liberty 5 speed, after of which, Rick rolled the car. When they did the stretch they allowed better than 2" for a 7 speed, which as you know they will be running next year. Rick said that they stuffed 2 Tesla motors in last year and ran 347, which should be a worlds record for Electric Cars.

I quizzed Rick about the car and what they were going to do, he said no real changes, but they will have a new Riley 4 Port if Ron gets it done, and directed me to the guy setting on the fender. Ron is a machinist and helps Rick, he said they trying to duplicate an original head so they wont have any problems. He said the only changes will be be valve train, but he said they will not doing any valve inclination. They are having problems with porosity, Ron told me that if any of the Bangers guys wanted to contact him, you are welcome at Peek Bros. Racing, they are just outside of Salt Lake City.

I have said enough for tonight, but maybe I can corner my daughter to help me send at least one video and maybe some photos of the water.

Steve

20. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I made a video of my progress so far- not a high end film production ,and I have tried to adjust my accent so that people can understand what I am saying! The conversion not finished yet as I was expecting to make some mistakes but so far it is working out ok,my plan next week is to finish the hydraulic master cylinder mount and get all the finishing and painting done on the brackets(maybe some speed holes to lighten it up a bit).My main aim is to get it so that when you look inside the cab the pedals are exactly where they are in an A .

21. Savage Coupe

Savage Coupe
    from Washington

I am running a 1A. Aggressive for street use, likes to be in the upper RPM range. Actually thinking of building a more mild engine with the 1R cam for use when not racing.

winduptoy likes this.
  22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

1928.jpeg

can anyone tell me year & make on this car ?? ........... thanks .. steve

Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  23. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I've searched and couldn't find it. Who is making harmonic balancers for a Model A or B motor? Or will anything else work?Thank you!

24. I truly sympathize with all the "Salt Runners"! A REAL bummer after towing from all parts of the Land. We too have been "Beached" as the promoters eliminated the PreWar Race Group at the Rolex at Monterey (the 1st time in everybody's memory). Maybe next year (if we live that long).

RMMR2017-2 (2017_08_31 14_28_20 UTC).jpg

25. callcoy

callcoy

Not only those entries from the Mid-West but the east Coast, not to mention the 13 International teams.

Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  26. John
    Sure sorry to hear that, the Indy Vintage/Historic events have been discontinued also.
    Yes, it just was mother natures way of saying she is still here, all hot and moist
    It was looking good Friday afternoon on the salt

john

Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  27. Savage Coupe

Savage Coupe
    from Washington

Summer time banging… 773AE7DE-C2AF-4826-9D15-BBBF4409402C.jpeg

28. walls

walls

Can you guys help me think through a stupid idea I’m having at the moment?
    I just picked up a nice B size Winfield intake but don’t have a carb at the moment.
    I’m thinking of running a Stromberg with an adapter until I find one.
    That said, I’d like to avoid running an electric fuel pump for the sake of simplicity, but realize the Stromberg won’t do that very well.

Thoughts on whether a vacuum pump would flow enough to keep things going?
    Specs state a flow rate per hour. Not sure how to equate that to the rate needed for the Stromberg on a Model A engine.
    74948447-0FC9-4BE4-AB6C-8E1B8D3C4DF8.png 058FDBE8-51CF-465E-8F40-7D7D4BD6EA7A.png

now that I’m thinking a little more, I’m guessing the rate of flow is not the issue, it’s the pressure.
    Anyway, have any thoughts? Or just run the stupid electric pump.

29. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting....but my initial thought is you are going to run out of vacuum. I know the windshield wipers quit under full throttle. Is flow and pressure with these a function that is proportional to how much vacuum there is with these pumps?
    And a vacuum leak is a vacuum leak. I would think it could make tuning a challenge
    and and the Holley 12-426 electric pump that feeds two Stromberg 81's does fine. It is rated for 25 GPH, which if you think about it...that's a lot of fuel

My thoughts

30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

awesome carb !!

winduptoy likes this.