Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bias Tire Balance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Aug 10, 2022.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I wore out the rear tires on Plan II, so I got a new pair, now that they're back in stock. Coker Classic L78-15. I mounted the first one, and put it on the little bubble balancer. Hmmmm..... I guess it's traditional to have lots of weight, that's why I have all these huge weights that I took off old rims!

tires1.jpg

tires2.jpg

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Seems excessive.

3. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

makes me wonder if they're not out of round, I like spin balance, answers both questions

rusty valley and gimpyshotrods like this.

4. Blake 27

Blake 27

Try breaking the bead then rotating the tire 180`. Back in the day we used to do that all the time, it often worked.

nunattax, Davesblue50, Jimmy and 18 others like this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

I don't think these wheels are that far out of whack.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are Cokers. They might not be round.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would find the spot directly opposite where the bulk of the weights are. That should be the heaviest spot on the tire.

Put a piece of tape or a chalk mark there.

Break the beads and find the weld seam in the outer hoop. That should be the heaviest spot on the wheel.

Turn the tire so that the marked spot on the tire is directly opposite the welded seam.

Re-seat, and re-balance.

8. squirrel

squirrel

That's the most likely explanation.

I doubt I'm gonna get 8 ounces of correction from doing that.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try my trick first.

Few wheels are zero-balanced. Tires certainly are not.

You may only need 4oz of correction. If they are 8oz out, and the heavy spots are just too close to each other, placing them opposite each other will certainly help.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen wheels where the heavy spot is inexplicably NOT at the weld seam.

Since you have a bubble balancer, you can figure out where it is pretty quickly.

If you find a drastic imbalance in the wheel, and they have welded centers, look for a honkin' overlarge weld bead for the center.

I have seen that put a wheel way out.

Stogy and bchctybob like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks, I'll play with it in the morning. I'll put the other wheel on the balancer before mounting the tire.

12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Thats alot.!! turn 180 , I figure you know that. true-ing and on the car strobe light balance is best. Trouble is finding someone who still does that. Some Big truck shops still do it You may have to send tires back.

Stogy and WalkerMD like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not sending them back, they're reproductions of lousy tires....they're not modern tires that are CNC mfd to be dead on.

14. A Boner

A Boner

15. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Uh yeah, That was the way it was.
    Only formal training I ever had was a seminar by B.F. Goodrich.
    We spent the day with a bubble balancer learning to split the weights by straddling the heavy spot. Must use crayon.
    We go about thirty degrees apart centering our crayon mark. Then pick weight sizes that allow us to place one half the amount on the front of the rim, and one half on the back, or inside rim.
    This means that for each heavy spot, weights are placed in four positions.
    The large weights shown were indeed common. Small ones were of course also often needed. They referred to this process as 'Dynamic Balancing'.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    Stogy, bchctybob, warbird1 and 3 others like this.
  16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Look up "Snap-on WBK-2 " wheel balancer , one of the more confusing systems of the '60's

Stogy likes this.
  17. banjorear

banjorear

Just went through this. I finally found a great shop that was able to shave my new Cokers to round. First question he asked was where did the tires come from. When I said Coker, he said I'll see what I can do. He said they are the worst and he's called them numerous times about their tires being out of round or taking a shit ton of weight to balance. They don't seem to care.

My tires were absolutely out of round and the pile of rubber laying there was a testament. And it wasn't just in one spot.

I really hope Coker gets their act together because they pretty much have a monopoly on the vintage tire game.

Elcohaulic, Stogy, A Boner and 3 others like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have one of those. they are a great wheel balancer. I have not used mine though since I got my snap on spin balancer (swap meet bargain of the century for 100 bucks) a few years back.

and yes, another vote for breaking the bead and spinning the tire on the rim. I had to do that the other day when I put my new radir cheater slicks on my impala. spinning the tire changed the amt of weight from 6.5 oz to 3.5, as far as cokers being out of round, I have had dozens of coker tires and I put them all on a spin balancer and have never seen an out of round tire. Why am I seemingly the only person who has never had any trouble??

bchctybob, badshifter, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  19. banjorear

banjorear

At first, I was able to balance my tires also using my buddy's Snap-On spin balancer. They will balance even being out of round.

What would happen is at 50-55 mph, the front end would start bouncing like a basketball. Since my car is fenderless, I could watch it happen.

At first I thought it was the ruts in the road. Found a stretch of perfect, newly paved road and it did the same thing.

When I got to the shop, he asked what is happening. Even before I finished, he said at around 50-55 mph? I knew I found the right guy.

He chucked them up in the shaver and the proof was in the rubber.

After shaving, car runs smooth at all speeds. I did not bother doing the rears. It cost $50 a tire to have them shaved and I didn't want to spend even more on top of the price of the new tires.

20. There’s an article in this month’s Hot Rod magazine about tire shaving. Apparently, if you know someone that does it, you’re lucky.

image.jpg

1D05469C-D6CB-443C-A5C9-740CAF9746B9.jpeg

21. banjorear

banjorear

Anyone in the tri-state area, I can't recommend K&T highly enough. Great folks.

Here is a link to their webpage.

http://www.ktvintagecars.com/

I kick myself for someone was selling a 711 Truer for $500. I regret not buying. Seems like I could have a nice little side gig going.

There real culprit here is Coker. They really need to get their act together. Either fix the molds or true the tires before they leave the factory. With the prices they charge, it is bordering on robbery that you need to spend another $200 to make their tires runnable.

22. squirrel

squirrel

I learned how to use a bubble balancer in high school auto shop, using 4 weights....but it's not really dynamic balancing, for that you need a spin balancer, which can detect where the weight needs to go on the front and on the back to balance it in both planes at once. When using a bubble balancer to static balance, dividing weights front and back helps, compared to putting all the weight on the front or the back. Using 4 weights instead of 2 lets you get them just right where they need to be, but using a little extra weight to do so.

It's just an old Chevy, it ain't gonna be perfect. And it's a good thing you didn't see the weights on the slicks, which are M&H.

Driver50x, Stogy, bchctybob and 5 others like this.
  23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’ve never used loose beads to balance tires. Has anyone used them?????

Packrat and Stogy like this.
  24. squirrel

squirrel

I broke the bead on the one I had mounted, turned the tire 120 degrees to get the light spot on the tire aligned with the weld in the rim. Still took 8.5 ounces to balance it.

The other wheel took about the same weight also.

The old pair of tires didn't take that much weight, I guess quality is going downhill.

Stogy, bchctybob and AHotRod like this.
  25. If you can remember back to the early 00's we had many discussions on balancing beads. Lots of talk in the archives

Petejoe and Stogy like this.
  26. Ill have to pic that up. In never get that mag anymore, but I do have that same Tire Truer. Maybe it has some tips on using it since i have yet to use mine.

Stogy, bchctybob and Atwater Mike like this.
  27. bchctybob, AHotRod, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I would think that the first thing on any tire mounting would be to check if the tire runs true..........is round/concentric. As you mentioned, newer tires are not generally known to have that issue. Even if you get the tire "balanced" weight wise, the whole mass is going to be moving in an eccentric rather than concentric.
    Then you have to consider that those excentrics will be happening on both wheels at the opposite end of a lever . Might not be as bad with an independent front end, but a guy with a straight axle will probably feel it more.

Has anyone actually talked to Coker and asked why this problem seems to be more prevalent lately? Is it that people talk more (on computers) and become more aware of a problem thats always been there........or is the product quality becoming less important?

To me the important thing here is safety.......would not want to lose you or any other rodder due to misguided loyalty.:)

V8-m, dana barlow and alanp561 like this.
  29. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I've always have had good results, it seems, with a bubble balancer with slicks. But I've always have used stick ons in those situations.