Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Please help me identify this part

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by karolko, Aug 10, 2022.

1. karolko

karolko

Hello Hamb'ers.

Could someone please help me to identify this part for me: Apparently, it can be used as a replacement to running a panhard bar.

If anyone knows where to buy one, or better yet, if anyone has an old one laying around and would like to sell it, please let me know.

65fb8bcb-e6b3-4323-bb86-0ede5c7e29c1.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

That's a tuning fork.

See: Tuning your suspension.

*Grabs coat and leaves

4. thats not the same as a panhard bar. It may work somewhat, but that "custom built" device literally reduces suspension travel to about 1/2 inch before it bottoms out.

5. karolko

karolko

i can see how there is very little movement available for the front end in the photo shown.

I understand that in principle this item does not function the exact same way as a panhard bar, but it does restrict the movement of the axle laterally... The reason i ask is that i am planning on running cross steer, but i want to avoid cluttering up my front end with too many bars as this will be a fenderless build.

Thus the 'Tuning fork" idea.

Phil A, i am fairly new to this forum and do not know how to navigate it well. Is there an area that has Tech articles like the one you mentioned? Maybe a link if you have a moment?

Thanks all.

6. TCTND

TCTND

The principle is sound and has been used in other vehicles. That particular example is deficient in several respects.

7. karolko

karolko

care to elaborate? other than the lack of travel available.
    How would someone make a better one? I’m here to learn. Photos possibly?

8. If you don't want to run a panhard bar have you considered a dead perch? it was used on dirt track cars a ton back in the day and pretty much eliminates lateral movement in the front end. I know SoCal speed shop sells them if you wanted to look into that. It eliminates a shackle on one side of the front spring thereby restricting lateral movement.

https://www.socalnorthwest.com/store/Item/SOC-001-61109-61110

soc-001-61109-61110.jpg

jaracer likes this.
  9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Axle. Bolt. Drain Hose. Portion of a radiator.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's Jim Busbys' waaay cool 32 5window, don't recall seeing more than a handful of that style of locator.
    upload_2022-8-10_10-54-17.png

chevyfordman and Just Gary like this.
  11. karolko

karolko

Found the article of Busby article...cool story that's for sure.

The part is very easy to make and would turn out very nice on my milling machine, but finding a bringing life back to an old hot rod part would be much more rewarding.

Adrian

12. Actually, a dead perch only eliminates 1/2 of the lateral movement, but always in a predictable direction....

Nailhead Jason, twenty8 and Stan Back like this.
  13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Best way is a panhard type, that's why ford from 1941 did it. What that tuning fork does is give you a roll center you probably won't like, notice I said ROLL center. The drag link will still arc so its your choice.

14. karolko

karolko

Hmmm. Something I don’t know anything about: Roll center.

15. you know what, you’re right. Never even thought of that till now but that makes perfect sense.

16. TCTND

TCTND

Sure. First, the purpose of this device is to control (inhibit) side to side movement. It needs to be strong and rigid enough to resist normal cornering loads and the occasional impact from bad pavement and whatnot. The one pictured would bend or break off if you farted on it. The pin in slot is a recipe for fast wear and the noise that goes with it. A better arrangement would be a sliding rectangular block to provide some "bearing area" with a pin in the center to allow a bit of rotation. I would probably use an aluminum block with an oilite bushing in the center and teflon sliders on the sides. This system can be mounted with either component on the axle and other on the chassis but bear in mind that the roll center is determined by the pin location. If it's fixed to the axle it will be constant in relation to the ground; if fastened to the chassis it will move up and down a bit. On a hot rod with the usual limited suspension travel you would probably never notice the difference. For the most comfortable mechanical arrangement draw a line between the spring ends at rest and another at max deflection (likely 2-3 inches above the first) and place the pin height halfway between them. Then just design the parts to be strong enough, allow full travel. and fit in the car without being an aesthetic abomination. It can be done.

loudbang and '28phonebooth like this.
  17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Just run a panhard bar, it doesn't look terrible and they can be hidden behind the axle. I had one on my last roadster and it was barely noticeable. Same with the steering damper.

My new roadster doesn't have either one yet but it might get one depending on how it drives.

18. karolko

karolko

Understood ElScotto, I’m just trying for a minimalistic look for the front end.
    Tctnd, thank you for the detailed explaination. Some good advice there that will help tons. As you mentioned the front end travel on these types of cars is minimal, so I don’t think driving these types of steering setups will be death traps. Sure, they are not perfect, but absolutely drivable.