Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Rambler Adventure-Up The River

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Aug 2, 2022.

1. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The breakfast of champions !
    And its even got the word " SUPER " on it.
    IMG_2118.jpg

2. BF04898D-93FE-4448-B41E-3DA96F481135.jpeg

Go man this looks like a hoot !!

maybe an idea of what to do with the ‘lil rambler once your done with the indurance race !

I was part of the crew years ago keeping two jags running for the lemons races up here at mosport and other tracks back in the day , lots of fun .

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That pile always leaves me wondering what happened to our car culture!

1Nimrod, badshifter, rlsteel and 7 others like this.
  4. OKAY! Nothing since SAT! NOT acceptable:p:p.
    Yeah, I saw the breakdown thread, so know you finished . But how? Where? Can't leave us hanging! Can you? We need the Paul H. finish.

Ben

Turnipseed and 427 sleeper like this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

Sunday....ended up in 2nd or 3rd place on the rally. It was really close between a few cars. Pretty fun when it's like that.

I spent the night in SLO, and in the morning headed east to visit friends in Vegas on my way home, it only adds a little time to the trip, and it's nice to go a different way back then how I went the first time.

somewhere along highway 41, there was a weird thump with the car. I stopped and didnt see anything wrong. Kept going, but I noticed it was making a whirring sound, that changed under some conditions. Eventually I figured out a rear wheel bearing was going out. By the time I got to Bakersfield, it was sounding pretty noticeable. I had been texting my brother and his friend who knows Ramblers, about the odds of fixing it, and stopped at a parts store to get the bearings that it might use (A-5 and A-6). I asked the counter guy if they pressed bearings, he said no, but recommended Chester Brake. So I called, and he said he could probably do it. I drove over there, talked to him a bit, and then pulled the axle out on the street. I had to borrow a slide hammer from the mechanic. They got the hub and bearing off, and the new bearing pressed on. I walked to the part store nearby and got a few things I needed to finish the job. the whole ordeal took less than three hours. so I got real lucky!

And back on the road to Vegas...nice and warm out, the car runs cool most of the time, but warms up a bit climbing long grades when it's 90 or 100 out. as soon as it levels out, cools right off. Pretty amazing.

Hit a nice storm near Barstow...dust, rain, traffic backed up going the other way for miles, glad I wasn't in that.

Made it to vegas just in time for a home cooked dinner...and a trip to walmart to get another jug of oil.

Now I'm getting ready to head southeast. It'll be hot. And probably rain. Should be fun.

rain.jpg bearing3.jpg bearing0.jpg bearing2.jpg bearing1.jpg spee.jpg creatire.jpg

6. It never ceases to amaze me how trouble free some of these old cars can be, also never understand why people are afraid to drive their old cars any distance, that’s the fun in owning them.

7. The trunk on your car looks somehow really shiny in comparison with the outer appearance, did someone start to restore it or is this still some original paint? :confused:

41 GMC K-18 and alanp561 like this.
  8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The bearing gods were on your side...something about a positive attitude attracts things and people ....Ever notice that...i do !!

9. Loving the axle bearing repair, pull axle in the street, take in to the shop, and then put back together. Good job Jim, and agree fortunate the bearing was in stock common size. Have fun on the way home.

41 GMC K-18 and AHotRod like this.
  10. A trouble free old car depends a great deal on the level of mechanical ability of the owner. And as far as distance driving, the fun gets old real fast when you're broke down in Bumfuck USA trying to figure out how to get you and that old car home when that unobtainium part breaks.

11. Yup better keep them in the garage to avoid any hassle.

12. How else will the hotrodding community get to discover all those 'garage and barn' finds? Can't have one without the other.

41 GMC K-18 and Wanderlust like this.
  13. If you don't drive your old car, what is the fun of owning it?

14. Sounds like a great adventure Jim! Thanks for taking us along and helping encourage others to use these old cars for what they are meant for.

15. LOL

Ben

Cosmo49 and guthriesmith like this.
  16. Jim, thanks for taking us along on another adventure.

Congratulations on final position.

Until next year.

Ben

41 GMC K-18 and guthriesmith like this.
  17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Didn't you have an axle bearing or a rearend go out in another car on another trip ?

18. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Happy motoring! ride along to this song about another epic Rambler journey ...

Thor1, 52HardTop, kevinrevin and 2 others like this.
  19. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Jim!!! Your annual LeMons adventure is a high point on the Hamb calendar. I enjoy the ride-along every year.

20. Yes sir, even new cars can leave you sitting on the side of the road and in most cases there is not anything you can do except call a wrecked. HRP

1Nimrod, VANDENPLAS, alanp561 and 5 others like this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

I'm halfway home. Car is running good, all the hubs are cool

22. squirrel

squirrel

Hopefully the wreck up ahead on I 10 will get cleared up before I get there

23. squirrel

squirrel

I got home in time to go out to dinner with my wife. Yay!

I was cruising at 75 for a while near the end....since I was within hitchhiking distance of home :)

I used 4 jugs of oil on the trip....I guess it needs rings! and the other rear wheel bearing replaced.
    A really nice driving car.

moving3.jpg moving2.jpg moving1.jpg

24. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I am surprised the 3 on the tree did not require a field repair. When I drove them as a teenager, they would jump the neutral gate and stay in one gear... till i reset the arms.

25. riv63

riv63
    from Texas

Awesome. I look forward to these stories.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

It did once, but I forgot to mention it. Locked up, took some effort to unstick it, and was fine after that. The linkage is adjusted wrong, there's a little offset to the gates, but I didn't find time to fix it, I was just careful shifting.

27. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bravo @squirrel !
    Another fine adventure/journey of the absurd, in a so called rust bucket, that drank oil faithfully, and after a few micro problems, got you home safely !

I and the entire H.A.M.B. Universe are deeply impressed !

discovery (2).jpg

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Congrats on another finish Jim! Always look forward to riding along with you on these trips. They're always well written and entertaining. Love it!

29. tomcat11

tomcat11

Well said. Pretty dam cool! I wonder if the push button AM radio still works? What's next.. the entire Route 66?

1Nimrod, alanp561 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.