Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Which makes more sense? SBC or Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alanp561, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Alan, I would install the 283 to the stock trans, plug the extra outlets in the radiator and go forward. You can always upgrade the trans and rearend, if you are happy with the car. Sell the flathead to someone who will use it, where it can be seen. Or, you can convert it to a stunt car, like we did back in '97. img20180723_19142525.jpg

INVISIBLEKID, williebill and alanp561 like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty good advice right there.

What engine you run in a car not only has to be based on "cool" or Bubba point factor it has to be based on how you intend to drive and use the car in the long run. I've got a flathead waiting for a chassis to put it in, What ever it goes in probably won't be a long range reacher. Meaning that it will get to go to events within 200 miles and may get trailered to some over 100 miles. The 48 with the 292 is intended to be the reacher. It will get the road trips to Texas and other long range trips that we would like to take.

Still right now having been to two events in two weekends as a spectator rather than a participant if I had a car sitting there with a decent flathead that I could get running and drive withhout any real issues to hit events within 150 miles, I'd be all over that rater than have the car apart for another year doing and engine and trans swap.

If the flathead was solid but needed a total rebuild before you could drive it I'd probably sell it to someone who really wanted the flathead and was all in love with it and put the 283 in it as long as it didn't require a ton of money spent on it.

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yessir, the fast approaching "physically unable" part is what motivated me to start this thread. I'm going to be 78 in 3 weeks. I do have all the parts to do the Chevy swap, whether I just adapt the 283 to the stock Ford tranny or install a complete drive train. The unknown factor is, am I going to be able to do this twice?

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now there's an idea! Going out in a "Blaze of Glory". ;)

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I appreciate all the comments from you guys. Maybe I can come to a decision while I'm at the dentist, which I just realized I was late for.:oops:

guthriesmith and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My late friend Ernie, drove it over the ramp, 3 years in a row. The Merc and Ern were a couple tough customers.

alanp561 and J. A. Miller like this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

No matter what you do, the glass, brakes, and wiring need to be redone, so why not start there and see if you like it with the flathead. Being that you're 78 years old and a full time caretaker to your wife, while also having another build in-process, wanting to pull a good running engine out and swap it for something else because the other engine could theoretically be more reliable seems crazy.

8. My vote is for the Chevy, I suffer from “paralysis by analysis “ thinking too much instead of just pulling the trigger, my 27 has a 327 / T350 and its a total blast to drive and Im a ford guy, I would never swap another engine in it.( its painted Ford blue).

Truckdoctor Andy and alanp561 like this.
  9. This may seem harsh but you're almost 78, don't have a lot of time to devote to projects and are worried about deteriorating health hindering your ability to work on projects at all. The smart move is pick one of your two cars and sell the other one so you can focus your time on getting one done so you can enjoy it.

alanp561, X38, aussie57wag and 2 others like this.
  10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

If your looking for opinions to support what you want to do, validate your decisions I wouldn’t look for them here. I personally like your path with your car it’s like 1963…

alanp561 likes this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

This is a hot rod site dammit! What's all this talk about keeping the wheezy old flathead? Put the Chevy in it and drive it!

Yeah I said it, and I'm a Ford in a Ford kinda guy!

12. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

For a daily driver I see no issues with running a flathead. Lower the car. Some dress up gear on the flathead and you an easy budget hot rod. A well built and maintained flathead will be every bit as dependable as a sbc. So many old cars have a sbc now that they are nearly as common as Toyota corollas. And about as interesting as well.

CSPIDY, kadillackid and alanp561 like this.
  13. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Why can't he drive it with a well maintained flathead?

kadillackid, alanp561 and Squablow like this.
  14. 57Fury440

57Fury440

I would leave the flathead in it and finish the other things it needs. I'm a few months younger than you and I had a few friends running flatheads back in the 60's. They were stock and they were pretty reliable little motors. If the flathead needed rebuilding, then I would vote for the swap. Good luck.

mrspeedyt, ekimneirbo and alanp561 like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

At 78? Flathead till it pops then put the chevy bolted to the stock drivetrain.

i put the sbc/auto/9 inch in my 46 using chassis inc stuff when I was 29 or so and it kicked my ass. Laying on the floor drilling a billion holes. There is no way I’d build another one like this with out a lift and some serious tool selection at minimum. Full body off if possible really.

16. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm with the Chevy crowd, but on the other hand, how much are you going to drive it anyhow? Would it justify doing a swap?

Tim and X38 like this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve written once but read what others have written. I’m still with the 283 and selling the Flathead which will pay for the adapter to the stock trans which is what I would do after reading. A stock 283 2 barrel was 180 hp if left alone. That’s double your 46 Merc. which takes a lot to get to 150 hp let alone the fuel milage. The extra $$$ will help with the other expenses.

Truckdoctor Andy and alanp561 like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

At 78 and you mentioned some minor (for now) ailments, look around for an”helper” and do some horse trading for labor and some of the stuff you don’t want around gathering dust.
    Supervise the project and work in conjunction with the swap/etc.
    Many can’t afford a running Flathead, but can afford time.
    I’m 60 and recall the days of being able to work on something all weekend and after work during the week, hardest part was getting cleaned up to go back to work;)
    Now at 60, heat bothers me, cold bothers me, so what I used to do in a weekend takes 6 months it seems.
    My dad was lucky, I was able to help him out as he was getting on in years, but I have 3 girls, one can lend a hand when she’s not working one of her two jobs, but I hate imposing on her unless really needed.
    I had a buddy that needed a car. I had an area out back behind the barn that needed a lot of grunt work to clean up.
    I gave him a car, he did the grunt work.
    He came out ahead, but I got what I wanted and didn’t break a sweat.
    Sorry for the long reply. Just my thoughts.

alanp561 likes this.
  19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the offer on the adapter but I've got two hanging on the wall. If you're coming through Cleveland, TN this fall, I'd be glad for you to stop by. It may be the only chance for us to meet and I'm pretty sure you're a guy worth knowing.

20. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good idea, thanks.

Budget36 likes this.
  21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I appreciate your opinion also. The reason I asked for opinions was that this is as close as I can get to sitting around with a bunch of guys who's experience and knowledge I value. My circle of acquaintances in this area is very small and only two of them have experience in what I'm doing. They are both working full time so, if I'm going to get anything done, it will be by myself.

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my collection of Flathead parts, I have a good Winfield SU-1 cam, an Edelbrock Super manifold and a couple of really nice Stromberg 81's. It would be doable.

23. A Boner

A Boner

Normally I’d say SBC in a heartbeat, but seeing as though it has a running flathead in it, I’d keep the flathead and just get the rest sorted out to be able to drive it. Don’t bother painting it…wax and buff it. Put seat cover on the front seat, if the original is too grungy. Rebuild the brakes, and use ni-copper, for new brake lines.
    Then drive it…and do an engine swap if the flathead blows. Keep the stock driveline, and use an adapter to install the Chevy.
    How about posting a pic the the project car?

24. Got any pics?
    With the flathead parts mentioned, I can see your quandary.
    But if the rest of the running gears is serviceable, you might be ahead keeping it. I helped a friend of mine of similar age as yourself, (with health issues) do a similar swap. Another friend helped with the engine/trans mounts. He used my shop and scissor lift for the rear. Even with the install kit from CE, it was still work.

alanp561 and Budget36 like this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am not a flathead guy. Most know that. Here’s food for thought. A rebuilt V8 was roughly 85 hp. Give some wear and tear and you are probably 65-75 hp. My zero turn mower is 35hp. The stock 283 is probably 185hp.

To me it’s a no brainer. I would advertise it to a guy wanting a FH and let them pull it after hearing it run. That way, you don’t have to mess with it and they get a good running Merc flatty.

26. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is, or was a running, driving car. I say was because I haven't started it in over a year. There's no headliner and the front seat is shredded. The body was perfect until I backed down my driveway and caught a tree stump with the right rear fender. It will bump out easily but still, it's just one more thing.
    DSCN2826.JPG DSCN2827.JPG

27. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

If you decide to go with the 283 i'd be interested in buying the 59AB off of you. The one in my '40 is on it's last leg. I'll even drive up and give you a hand with pulling it.

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

There you go…

jimmy six likes this.
  29. I drive it just like it is.(paint wise anyway)
    With a big ole grin.
    Cool cruiser