Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Good times at Louisville in spite of a little rain and a whole hell of a lot of OT cars.cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garage2small, Aug 8, 2022.

1. You can always count on Gary for a good eye and great pics!
    Thanks for sharing!

garage2small and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. NJ Don

NJ Don

It's sad to say but when I go to ANY show it's at least 75% muscle cars, rods are slowly dying off ... like me.

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Garage, I hear what you are saying about cancelling my trip, but I got burned once and swore it would never happen again. It was the East Coast Nationals and they were predicting rain, but I said what the heck, the weatherman is probably wrong anyway. Well he wasn't. We spent Friday and Saturday stuck in our hotel room while my Deuce roadster sat under the car cover in the parking lot with torrential rain. Sunday was no better, packing up a wet cover and we drove 200 miles home, also in rain. When we got home my roadster was an absolute mess. I had water and road grime everywhere and it took about a week to get it cleaned. Louisville is 800 miles for me, so I just could not chance it. I'm glad the weathermen were wrong in your case.

4. wicarnut

wicarnut

I made that mistake 1 X for Back to the 50's, sometime low 2000's I mentioned to our group, a huge weather system coming/predicted, not just showers for Midwest, Mn. south to Ms. and everyone said, weathermen are rarely right,(somewhat true) lets go, OK.............. we went, group of 10, Thursday it rained all the way there, no problem for me, my Roadster in my box trailer. Friday AM raining, all day rain, let up some late afternoon, went back to motel, sat at bar with car group, Saturday AM rain again all day, let up in PM back to motel and bar, Sunday AM finally cleared off, our travel day home. Our leader, a die hard "got to drive them" his wife rode home with me as she had enough roadster fun, (a fun ride for me, she bitched for 6 hours) So.......... guess who bought a trailer, our leader, touchy subject when ribbing him. From that day on I learned to understand the weather and weather news because if you listened to their BS you would never go anywhere anymore and for all their modern tech, still a hit/miss deal. My no fender Roadster had a bolt on top, snap in windows, still no fun driving in rain, standing/sitting under a popup all day is stupid, all in all the dumbest $600 ever spent for a big show, could have stayed home,went to a local tavern, went with my wife out to dinner. funny part of the tavern time for me, I don't drink LOL.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    garage2small likes this.
  5. Nice photos. Thanks for taking the time to post. ‘Been a long time since I went to Louisville…sounds like things have changed quite a bit.

6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Same boat (no pun intended) for me wicar. I do have a Bop-Top and side curtains on my roadster but as you know a fenderless car gets water everywhere. Simply not worth the aggravation. Try driving a Deuce roadster on the Cross Bronx Expressway in heavy rain! I was throwing up "rooster tails" and getting the "one finger salute" from every car that was behind me.

garage2small and mcsfabrication like this.
  7. Gary, thank you so much for sharing the cars you have posted, you have always had a good eye and know what we all like.

I watched a video on you tube last night and was shocked to see so many of what we refer too as late model cars it appeared that more than half what I normally see in the Walmart parking lot.:rolleyes:

Thanks again. HRP

lo c dan and garage2small like this.
  8. stpaulsdealmaker

stpaulsdealmaker

Thanks for taking time to share photos , looks like it turned out O K weather wise , and there were some nice cars there, thanks again

garage2small likes this.
  9. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Thanks for the pictures

garage2small likes this.
  10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Great Pictures, Thanks for taking the time to share them .........:)

Something you guys might want to consider is that you have no clue as to which people are able bodied or not. I used to pride myself on walking the whole event, but it is a rather large venue for just about anyone to cover on foot......especially if they only have one day to do so.
    I used to walk 4 miles EVERY morning to start my day after I retired. I'm not, to the naked eye in bad physical condition for my age, but after a personal health issue it is impossible for me to walk the whole venue for 1 day.....much less 4 days. My son who is just 42 and very healthy looking was unable to attend because he just had a knee replacement and is still in therapy. Will have to have his other knee done next year. I would imagine that most people riding scooters have a reason and would prefer to be able to walk rather than ride.........but life happens. So instead of whining about how inconvenient we make it for you, just remember the old saying, "There but for the grace of God....go I". One day you may be riding a scooter too. I never thought I would........

Again, thanks for the great pictures.;)

X-cpe, Carter, garage2small and 6 others like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice coverage and great pics. Never seen so many chevy trucks. Thank you for your photos.

garage2small likes this.
  12. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I agree with both sides of the scooter views. My girlfriend could/should have gotten one but she won't. And I made the comment that I just hope the younger boy, not man, either really needed it or was taking it to or returning it for someone who did. I tried not to judge, because I don't know the situation.

On a lighter note on the topic, we did cross paths with a "gang" of older women on them. And I mean it was fun to watch them! They were in formation and didn't give a rat's! All looked spunky too, God bless them!

catdad49 and garage2small like this.
  13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have always looked down on those able bodied folks [at least looking so] on scooters at events. This year after walking both Thursday and Friday when it became apparent that there might be some scooters still available I rented one. As did my two friends. I saw more in one day than the previous two. I was polite towards anyone walking, and was conscious of the fact that some were thinking like I had in the past. But had I not then I would have spent Saturday setting on my 77 year old butt. I won't rent one at smaller events but I might again at the Nats.

DC40, garage2small, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Bunch of neat stuff. Thank you for the photos.

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

15. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

These photos made my day, thanks............

garage2small likes this.
  16. Way cool to see Gary Leach's "Floyd" there. I chose this car at the MidAm Nat's for the "Thumbs Up" award this year. It's got a heck of a cool backstory behind it and Gary is having a ball with it.

garage2small likes this.
  17. garage2small

garage2small

Guilty as charged, you make a good point we should not judge without knowing the facts.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  18. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Didn't mean to be harsh, but I used to feel the same way and never thought "I" would have to use a scooter. Rather than accept it gracefully, I made me a scooter out of an old lawn mower combined with electric scooter power. Kinda makin the best of a bad situation. Yes, I believe there are a lot of people who could walk if they chose to, but I still have to remind myself on occasion that I don't really know what someones reason actually is. Thanks for being a stand up guy about it...........:)

Scooter 1.jpg
    Say Hello if you see me next year........

garage2small likes this.
  19. verde742

verde742

Thank you for the great coverage, and I really enjoy the "big " pictures with other cars in the background , THANKS AGAIN !!!

garage2small likes this.
  20. We had an influx of EZgo scooters at the LARS one year. It was frustrating. And they were mostly all rentals. But some people do need them. I literally saw some ladies on some boozing and cruising and wrecking them. If it were those stand up Bird scooters that would be way more annoying and dangerous. Only a matter of time and they go away. Some people will just opt for smaller shows. This year was not so bad.
    either way good pics and thanks for posting.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    garage2small likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please do not judge people by their appearances.

Not all disabilities are visible.

X-cpe, garage2small and arkiehotrods like this.