Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Odd 331 Hemi serial number.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by In_Benzin_Veritas, Aug 8, 2022.

1. In_Benzin_Veritas

In_Benzin_Veritas
    from Toronto

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and my first venture into the world of traditional hot rods. I've typically been into modern cars or vintage motorcycles. I own and run a heavy equipment hydraulic repair shop, as a career.
    Im going to be building a "period" 28-34 ford for my son over the next couple of years and look forward to soaking up everyones knowledge as I brows the forum.

I recently acquired a 331 Hemi but I'm having a bit of trouble with the serial number. The engine is out of a Chrysler and appears to be a 51 to 54 but the date code/serial number is "C55-1790C"
    I've done some digging but can't find another example of that "C55" beginning.

Was this a factory replacement in 1955?

Please help!

Thanks in advance
    Chris

AZVQmWA+T%Ck9H1BxZMapA.jpg 7tx4EqCTTzygRhTYF010eg.jpg

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CE55 was a 250 HP 331 in 1955. I 'm afraid I am not much help.

vtx1800 likes this.
  3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I also don't know what "C55" indicates. The stamping is clean and straight and looks very much like an original OEM stamping, but that C55 code is not documented anywhere and 1790C is not a standard engine number. Maybe it was as you say, a service replacement issued in 1955.

The engine you have there has a wet intake and an extended bellhousing, which narrows it down to a passenger car '51 to '53 331 Chrysler. Good news, there are new and vintage adapters out there that allow you to bolt several different transmissions up to that block without modification. Search for "Hemi Tech Index" here on the HAMB and you will find an amazing amount of information. Here's the thread on adapters:
    HEMI Tech- Transmission adapters, flywheels, starters | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)

41 GMC K-18 and Bandit Billy like this.

4. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Stamping to me looks to be a non factory deal....Just my opinion...

5. phat rat

phat rat

Give Hot Heads a call.
    (336) 352-4866

6. I can’t speak to the stamping,,,,,,,,other than to say the font and layout are factory style .
    It certainly looks original to me ,,,,,,I can’t decipher it though .

Tommy

milwscruffy likes this.
  7. In_Benzin_Veritas

In_Benzin_Veritas
    from Toronto

Would it being a Canadian market car have anything to do with it ?

8. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I have nothing here. I have the same info that I’m sure everyone else has. Given the extended bell housing it should be C51-8 C52-8 or C53-8. And nothing in the industrial comes up. I’m not even sure they used the extended bell for industrial stuff but I could be wrong 02EEA740-7063-4466-8FED-2CB0E6366930.jpeg

vtx1800 likes this.
  9. In_Benzin_Veritas

In_Benzin_Veritas
    from Toronto

So @George has figured out that the engine is from a 51-52 Saratoga. The engine being stamped with the chassis code rather than the typical nomenclature - Saratoga being a "C55"

51 mercules and milwscruffy like this.