Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hot Rods In Louisville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Aug 2, 2022.

1. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

No, you are not alone. Probably the only ones that aren’t in your camp are those that brought those “other” cars. In other words, I’m with ya.

WiredSpider and Moriarity like this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

We need a National, or at least Mini-Nationals gathering like “The Rock”, but for mid 60’s and earlier cars that are not quite so “top end builds”. And without any approaching the RR crap, if you get my drift! Middle of the road type, “H.A.M.B.” era cool cars.

jim snow, wicarnut and Kelly Burns like this.
  3. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

They lost me at that point. Not saying I wouldn't go again, but it is not the priority it used to be for me.

4. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Personally, I wish they would have maybe went for 64 and earlier instead of such a drastic change. I can usually just walk past the crap that I feel doesn’t belong there, and find stuff that I like. It is however, getting harder to do as the crap numbers look to be growing to me. Sadly, it’s all about the Benjamins.

willysguy likes this.
  5. 42merc

42merc

Time marches on. Younger guys, younger cars.
    It's not going to get better, only worse.
    Pre '49 cars get you pre '49 guys, me included. Grey hair & scooters, Enjoy while we can.

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Let's keep civil, I didn't start this thread to bash NSRA, I was impressed by the number of younger persons at the event. If it takes later models to get them engaged then so be it. They might even get the bug some day to build an early car or custom?

rod1, pprather, Rramjet1 and 10 others like this.
  7. tim troutman

tim troutman

I put some miles on my cars .bought some cool stuff in the swap meet. bought some new parts from new vendors picked up some parts I had ordered ahead . hung out with friends & looked at a lot of cool cars so a pretty great week .that being said 1/3 of the cars there I wouldn't notice in the grocery store parking lot. I seen a Mustang 2 or 3 body styles to new riding around . I remember when NSRA would hunt down the owner of a 49 ford to throw them out. Next years giveaway will be a 1977 C10 I think an era has ended!

pprather, WiredSpider and wicarnut like this.
  8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I had bad week. Felt bad. i was a grouchy ole fart. I paid no attention to the "LATE MODEL "cars. I looked at what I like and STILL DIDN'T SEE THEM ALL. If I don't go back, it will be because I cant find a alternative route. KY and Tn Interstate is crap. I bottomed out so many time I lost count. I have to put truck on lift to see what kind of damage I did!!

rod1, DC40, ekimneirbo and 1 other person like this.
  9. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, you are not alone. I wish they would of at least cut it off at '62. As the folks who built this hobby continue to age and pass on, there are unfortunately not enough new people entering into the hobby to sustain it at the levels it once was. I guess that's why they call it "the good old days".

Same with the W.O.T. Rod and Custom Jamboree, used to be open to '62 and earlier. This year it's open up to '91. So you have rods and customs with foxbody Mustangs and 80's GM G-bodys mixed in, which stinks IMHO.
    You are right though, it does become all about the Benjamins. The cost of running one of these shows; the venue, insurance ,staff, etc...continue to increase while attendance continues to decrease. At some point, the juice has to be worth the squeeze. So they add later model stuff trying to recoup the car count and the cash.

wicarnut likes this.
  10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I posted on the NSRA Nat’s 2022 roll call thread info for 2 pre 49 only events..........

pprather, MMM1693 and DC40 like this.
  11. Crocodile

Crocodile

I agree to a large part. I understand why they keep moving the lines up, because they want to keep the show alive.
    I just wish they would have a segregation point where the 64 and older cars went in one area, and everything newer went to another.
    Hell, the cut-off could even be 1970, because most of us enjoy true muscle cars.
    Kind of like how I wish back to the Fifties cut off at 1960. Pretty sure you could get a new 1960 in 1959, but not a 64 Biscayne 4 door...

Moriarity likes this.
  12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thanks ! for the Pics, lots of Kool cars as always. NSRA and GoodGuys had to open up guidelines to stay in business, they are a business not a hobby show. I'm a country pumpkin from Northwoods Wi. and if they threw out the newer cars, trucks and RR type vehicles it would be a very small car show, all of our shows are with small town festivals which is good IMO, cruises are local restaurants, ice cream stands, All is good in the Great North woods. An FYI, the Rockabilly some what HAMB guide line type shows are growing here, SYMCO is this weekend, a very Kool show well worth attending, again IMO. NSRA nationals, for the price of your entry you have a chance of winning a great Hot Rod, odds 1 in 8500 this year, very good odds, the best door prize ever.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    ekimneirbo likes this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, I thought that too. just seems like a money grab and doesn't make any sense .... nothing screams "back to the fifties" like a 64 falcon 4 door

Crocodile, Tim and cornfield county like this.
  14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While I support NSRA's need to stay in business, I do agree that they should set up two or three separate parking areas to make it easier for attendees to see what they want.

15. FityFive

FityFive

I used the Michigan Hot Rod Repair Shop years ago. I stop by every year to make a donation to their tip jar as they provide a great service to so many of us!

wfo guy, MO_JUNK, B.A.KING and 3 others like this.
  16. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the jar and was happy to do it. I have one observation, but I'm hesitant to make it; parked near us was a JR ( the R is for rod) that was LS powered on a late model P/U frame with an older bed and who knows sort of a roadster body with all metal parts rusted. Bummer just walking past it... even after some liquid refreshment. If it is the owners pride and joy, I feel sorry for him and if it was to insult the other participants in the area..... mission accomplished. I'll go back.

The 39 guy and V8 Bob like this.
  17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think something everyone should consider is that the "Street Rod" Nationals implies that its for people who actually drive their cars......many on a daily basis. They are the heart and soul that makes this hobby viable. Many on the Hamb consider the term Street Rod a dirty word. Not everyone can afford.........or even wants a car thats "too pretty to drive". There is however an abundance of very expensive cars there in addition to the low buck guys trying to decide between next months house payment and a nice set of wheels.Don't forget where we came from guys.............I still remember buying the largest available tires from Big O Tires. They were recaps........any size $9.99 while a well-to-do friend whose dad had some money only worried about which part of his car was going to the chrome plater next. My cars never got in any shows or got any awards, but I got the same busted knuckles, broken nails with grease under them, and rust dropping in my eye that every hot rodder got........and that same feeling of exileration when I outran someone.
    Personally, while I don't care for many of the later models...........I do however appreciate the fact that someone can't afford but one car and has no shop to work in also loves cars and does the best they can to be in this hobby. Don't forget, that once was me.......or us.:)

wfo guy, wicarnut, 2MNYTYS and 2 others like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and a a lot of older rodders kids and or grandkids drive those what you refer to as late models.
    30 years old and older does mean 1992 or earlier and I agree that is seemingly too new.

On the other hand my 1948 Chevy truck was the newest vehicle allowed to register for the 1973 Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa and it was 25 years old and I got hassled by some olf at the back gate about it being too new then. A 40 Ford was only 33 years old that year.
    Since a lot of local folks know me and that I have always been in to old cars I get comments all the time from people who tell me that they just bought a "classic" when asked what it is most ot the time it is a 70/80's car or truck and not a 30's, 40's or 50's.
    Worse yet is that every vehicle I own is elegable for "classic" plates by it's age as the newest vehicle I own is 20 years old which is the age for classic plates in this state that I firmly believe should be changed to 40 years old.

ekimneirbo, Just Gary and Moriarity like this.
  19. I asked the same question Mark asked, only to an NSRA official. His explanation to me was that everybody wants a 32 Ford, or a 40 Ford, but not everybody can afford them. And that's if they can even find one. The alternative is these fiberglass kit cars, and those aren't 32 Ford's, those are brand new kit cars. I just avoid the shit that doesn't interest me.

20. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

It really is pretty simple aint it!!!!

chopped, ekimneirbo and Kelly Burns like this.
  21. 2MNYTYS

2MNYTYS
    from MN

Yes, that is John Z's B-400 from Minnesota, it was parked inside the main building in the "Builders Showcase" area. Most people have no idea what John started with when he started building that car.

22. Flathead47

Flathead47
    from ontario

I agree , I have been to every NSRA National event at Louisville until covid hit & due to the restrictions at the Canadian/US border was not allowed to cross the border for 2 years so I have seen the changes evolve thru the years. All my cars all pre 49 so I get what people feel about the changes NSRA has done , Goodguys as well. Their are so many great cars to be seen at these shows so why worry about the ones you do not agree with.
    Ask your self why are you going there , meet up with old friends , make new ones , enjoy the ride to the event , get parts from venders , win the car , lots of good reasons to enjoy the hobby. Now ask yourself if there was not an NSRA or Goodguys putting all these events on , both National & Regional what would the conversation be then ..... we need to enjoy what we have as who knows for how long these major events will last .....

23. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I'm one of the vocal ones about the changes, however! Its hard to argue with what @Flathead47 said.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah, could hold it in the center of the country… maybe add some drag racing.

25. Yes sir, you nailed. My favorite get together of all time is the reunion in Bowling Green, and we were greeted this year with a rumor that this is the last year for it. Like to freaking destroyed me! I go there to see my friends and walk the swap meet a bazillion times, and watch the drag races. If you go there as a spectator it cost $25 per person to get in the gate, each day. For me and my wife that equals $150. But, if I register my car in the show & shine, it's $75. No spectator parking to deal with, drive right into the fairgrounds, 2 passes to the whole event, etc... but I spoke with the grandson of the guy that owns it all, and he laughed, then reassured me that it was just a rumor, and the reunion isn't going anywhere.

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Yes Lloyd, you made a very good post here that should cause many people to think about what they are saying before trying to start a movement to stop something great. What were your thoughts when you heard "the rumor" ? What good would come from trying to boycott one of the best automotive events in the world? If it went away, would the automotive world be a better place?

The truth is, if we want the older 30s/40s/50s cars to remain popular, you have to interact with new generations........cause an awful lot of us ain't gonna be around much longer. When a guy drives his mid-80s car to the event, he is exposed to the thousands of much older vehicles on site. That gives them a chance to develop an interest in these older cars as well as his newer one.

And lets face it, would hot rods be cool if everyone on the planet drove one? We have sufficient numbers to have a voice in the laws that are passed, but still small enough numbers that when we go for a drive we aren't just like the other cars around us. I think thats a good thing. So some people should be careful what they wish for, because the major voices in the automotive world help keep our hobby from being legislated out of existence..........so far.:)

Max Gearhead, 40ragtopdown and 42merc like this.
  27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Very well said. I've thought about that.When its gone ,it's gone.

28. Following the current thought, we are all ambassadors for the hobby. Are we going to show younger people where we found the magic or be the one that makes them run the other way. If you have a smile and emotion in your voice when telling someone about your rod, it goes a long way. :)

joel likes this.