Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical WTF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've heard a lot of crazy BS about some of the oil change businesses but this is insane.

My daughter went to the local jiffy lube to get her oil changed because her boss wanted her to go to North Carolina this afternoon and she kept putting it off and didn't ask me, had she it would have already been done, but that point is moot.

Anyway they seem to do severally system checks and they tell her the brake fluid is showing 10% moisture, I'm old school and I have never heard anything like this, they suggested they flush the system and put new brake fluid in.

I checked her brakes and I can't detect any problem, I removed the master cylinder cover and see no indication of any contaminates.

Is this a scheme like some of the brake shops pull? HRP

deadbeat, dana barlow, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  2. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Money sucking scam.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

When businesses adopt...
    [​IMG]

4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Maybe this will shed some light......

Basic up sell - depending on the age of the car and miles.
    If she needs pads/ rotors - good time to do it for longevity but if no issues, I wouldn't do it unless it's time/needed.
    Brake fluid does absorb some moisture.
    Maybe at 60,00 miles. ( like tranny fluid ) changing it - basic upkeep I guess if she plans on keeping the car.

jimgoetz, 5window, clem and 10 others like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of those extra fee gotchas but it is something the two of you can do in the garage at home later.

My mom used to pull the ""My son is a mechanic at ________ I'll ask him about it and then she did the My son teaches auto mechanics I'll ask him about it" thing. I always got asked and always checked it out but upselling is what creates a decent profit margin.

6. They do test for moisture when having a oil change. Pretty much every manufacturer recommends changing brake fluid every 3 years these days.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the trouble free cars we have today and closing service bays shops are looking at anything to make a buck especially with women. Someday I’ll change brake fluid in a car and it will be the first time ever. When I changed the complete rear end and added disc brakes to the front I’m sure it got changed then but because I had to.

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

I change brake fluid every 15 or 20 years, or it leaks out. Which ever comes first. Scam !!

9. hepme

hepme

I think my antifreeze has some moisture in it----------

10. 4ty

4ty

That's why when I go I tell them only the oil/filter change. Do NOT touch anything else.
    Paul in CT

11. Hopefully they didn't use a Fram filter...

12. Basically nothing is free anymore (if it ever was), those 10, 20, 100 point check is for them to find something to up sell......and they WILL find something. BTW around here Jiffy lubes are f'ing horrible, forgetting oil (or not putting in the correct amount), stripping drain plugs.......should stay away at all costs.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not a scam. You guys are paranoid. She does not need to consent to the service, but it is good that they checked.

I can remember the brake fluid change interval being called out since the 1970s.

Yes, you need to change your brake fluid. It is a thing. It has ALWAYS BEEN A THING!

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means that it absorbs moisture. It is supposed to do that. The desired function is to suspend moisture in the fluid, in an effort to keep it off of metal surfaces.

This is not only to prevent corrosion that could to lead to brake failure, it is also to reduce the likelihood of turning that moisture into steam in the brake fluid, under hard braking.

Brake fluid, and even water, are both not compressible. Steam, however, is. That can make for a awful surprise.

In this era of vehicles that do not need any major service for 100,000 miles, people have become detached from the notion that vehicles need any maintenance, at-all!

At GM we would see cars come in from lease return with one bald set of post-OEM tires, OEM belts, and what appear to be all of the original filters in-place, and un-touched.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, and 2% moisture in brake fluid is not good.

10% is not acceptable.

joel, wfo guy, 19Eddy30 and 3 others like this.
  15. cshades

cshades
    from wi

i change the brake fluid in all of my cars every 5 years

16. jaracer

jaracer

Sounds like you have never been to a Jiffy Lube or one of the clones. They typically lay out the air filter and the pcv valve and any other filters the car has.

My Jiffy Lube story: I had just moved here and didn't have my shop setup. I managed to change the u-joints in my truck, but couldn't find my grease gun adapter to get in small spaces to lube them. I went to a Jiffy Lube and asked specifically for them to grease the u-joints. The young man said yes sir, we lube every point listed on the manufacturer's chart. I told him the truck came with non-greasable u-joints, I just changed them and I wanted them lubed. I think I got the same answer.

I watched them service the truck and pull it out. I told the young man at the desk that I never saw the lube mechanic go anywhere near the u-joints. Would you check with him and make sure he lubed them? The young man went out and talked to the lube mechanic then came in and asked me for my keys. They brought the truck back in and the lube mechanic proceeded to lube the upper ball joints (guess he didn't do that the first time). I took the truck home, searched around and found my small adapter for my grease gun and lubed them myself.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I change the brake fluid in every vehicle that I own, except for those that have mechanical brakes, every 3-years.

18. <-------- I have owned this car for 33 years now and have never changed the brake fluid, they still work as goon as the day I installed them. HRP

ekimneirbo, dirt t, Montana1 and 7 others like this.
  19. GM literature
    B1A2532E-9FFA-4A42-BF9F-88129F3175C2.jpeg
    the oil change place is performing a CYA.
    If you refuse the service, they have done their job legally to inform you

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But your daughter knew to ask you first.
    And you knew to ask here.
    Glad you did.

21. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

I have a muscle car that I've never changed the brake fluid in and it developed a leaky rear wheel cylinder.

I have 4 OT cars, one with 209,000 miles on it, that I've changed the brake fluid on the manufacturer's schedule which I think is every 2 years. The brake fluid comes out black and while I haven't checked the moisture content, I expect it has a bit.

22. Gimpy is absolutely correct, most people grossly neglect their brake fluid, just because you haven’t had a problem doesn’t make it right.

23. I don't trust the oil change places or brake shops, but you guys have opened my eyes on the moisture content in brake fluid.

I plan on taking the 32 and my daughters car to my pal Earl's Shop early next week and get him to check the brake fluid moisture content in both cars,

24. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

It's also true when they recommend air filter changes. One of those places wanted to charge my daughter $80 for an air filter change. A trip to the auto parts store for a $15 air filter, and taking 10 minutes to show her how to do it,
    and done.

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Friend of our had an OT Mercedes wagon, they always took it to the dealer for service. About once a year they would change all the fluids, brake and all. She told me normal service on that car was about $300, the yearly was close to $1500! They got rid of it after a couple of years, cost too much to keep up!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just change the fluid. It is preventive maintenance. You don't wait until you spin a rod bearing to change your oil!

I don't understand the resistance to this notion.

This would be like saying "I feel fine. I'm not listening to my doctor, what does he know, anyways?! Telling me that I need to take steps to lower my cholesterol is just a Big Medicine scam!"

Surprise birthday parties can be fun. Surprise brake failures, probably not.

Don't gamble with life-safety equipment.

VANDENPLAS, Cosmo49, G-son and 7 others like this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

When I worked at the Subaru dealer it was an annual service. None of are regular customers had any hydraulic problem with the brakes.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. alchemy

alchemy

So, when a Jiffy Lube changes the brake fluid, they bleed every wheel cylinder? That is the only way to do it completely. Or are they just sucking most of the master dry then topping off with new fluid?

jimgoetz, 5window, ct1932ford and 4 others like this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, how exactly is this measured? Inquiring minds want to know…..

If someone has already said…my apologies. I have Automotive Deficit Disorder.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Every three years old man.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.