Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 9" rear

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rwscmf, Aug 7, 2022.

1. rwscmf

rwscmf
    from Maryland

Axle leaking problem. Older ford 9" maybe late 1960's, 70's. Notice oil on inside rim, seems gasket leaking. replaced gasket still leaks. Right side only. There seems to be a weep hole on the axle flange. Could my seal not be sealing around an old axle. The dip in gasket is the area where the weeping is from. Or find a gasket without the dip. ford_gasket.jpg

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Fix your seal first! The gasket is designed to leak , if they seal is bad!

Bones

Wanderlust, INVISIBLEKID and rockable like this.
  3. That gasket is for between the backing plate and the housing end, the gear oil is getting past the axle seal, your axle is no where near as big in diameter as the hole in that gasket.

4. big john d

big john d
    from ma

i think that gasket goes between the backing plate and the axle retainer both in the brake drum i think if rear end lube leaks past the seal it it exits inside the drum area but the oil is directed to the notch at the bottom i think the backing plate has a small hole to let the oil out without it getting on the brakes it drips down onto the tire

5. If the seal looks bad check the bearings.

6. Also check the vent. A clogged vent will push oil past the seals.

7. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Pull the axle and replace the seal -which is in the housing.

squirrel likes this.
  8. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

A ford nine inch can use 2 different style seals.
    One style is easy to change, slip out the axle and the seal sits down in the tube.

The other style the seal sits on the axle and the axle bearing is pressed on top of it.
    This requires the bearing to be cut off and a new one pressed on.

9. Most likely you have a bad axle seal caused by a bad bearing. Pull the axle, turn the bearing and you will probably feel some roughness, or it may be VERY obvious and be quite sloppy.