Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville Speed Week (2022) Cancelled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was on Facebook looking for something automotive related and found this from SCTA.

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE SCTA BNI
    Due to unforeseen weather conditions Speedweek 2022 is officially cancelled.
    Please take the following route to the pit area to pick up your equipment from your pit.Drive down the return road from the staging lanes to the pit area. It is marked by red swooper flags.The speed limit is 10 mph or less.
    We are doing our best to recover what we can find out on the lakebed. Missing items can be found in the registration area.
    Pat McDowell-SCTA President
    Bill Lattin-BNI Chairman

2. Remember, there is the USFRA World of Speed and SCTA World finals still on the schedule this year.

aircap, 41 GMC K-18, Roothawg and 3 others like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, that's very unfortunate but not a first for extremes that make the event questionable and difficult...safe trip back all...

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for sharing

41 GMC K-18 and Speed Gems like this.
  5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a screenshot from a video a friend of mine posted on the book of faces earlier today. Loaded up and heading off the flats and towards home.

Salt Flats.JPG
    FB_IMG_1659912976481.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  6. Well that’ll put a damper on your day. It’s preposterous ( uncalled for that is). All that hard work that those men and women went through and they go and pull the plug. I hope they can get the next one off without a hiccup.

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. It's a known risk. I would give up 10 years of racing to see the West have some heavy precip

5window, Stogy, 38Chevy454 and 14 others like this.
  8. Good point.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Nobey

Nobey

Yeah, the boys just called me, they are half way to Reno towing Valley Fever. What a shame....

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

Gotta feel for those long distance guys too. I’ve heard of folks bringing cars from over seas.

Atwater Mike and Stogy like this.
  11. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 and Speed Gems like this.
  12. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Wow ! What's a guy to do? Maybe make the best of it by touring the West coast or upper states working back to wherever home may be? Mother nature's not always fair, the fire ravaged Calif. counties could surely use that moisture.

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

I heard there are quite a few stuck vehicles/campers in the camp areas on the road in.

14. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Turned Into A Sticky Wicket....Sad Indeed.. 297200271_10223668520245263_442840566542421307_n.jpg

15. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^ Yikes…guess the salt isn’t very thick at, “the bend in the road”!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and LOU WELLS like this.
  16. Wowza!! Rain-X can’t help with that!

Stogy, Bandit Billy and LOU WELLS like this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

area sure needs rain but now is not good timing - the Great Salt Lake has broken the 170 year old recorded low level

Stogy likes this.
  18. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

On the bright side, Lake Bonneville is looking good.

Stogy, Bandit Billy, Spooky and 3 others like this.
  19. williebill

williebill

45 minutes ago, local SLC radio said racing was still on for maybe Monday. Guess their info was a little old. For a micro second, I thought oh shit, I already changed flights, hotel, and rental car after trying to fulfill a 60 year wish of mine to be there during Speed Week. Ain't bitching, just bad timing picking this year for bucket list stuff. So I'm headed home in the morning.. Trip cost a lot, but not nearly as much as it cost a lot of people, and race teams. Maybe next year.

20. Thats from the Bend, you will ONLY GET CAUGHT ONCE in the rain there before you know better than to camp there. Trust me, I got the Tshirt. in 13 I bailed in the middle of the downpour before it got sticky. Even in 4wd I was spinning on FLAT GROUND. Took me 40 minutes to make the 40 yards or so and a hail mary to get up on the pavement. Slept on @Rocky hotel floor. I took three showers that night to warm up

21. We have friends from the UK and Austrailia that made the trip. Same thing happened to our guys and gals the went Down Under to Lake Gairdner a few years back

Stogy likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have buddy from Australia, came only in 13, 19, and this year. I took him the first 2 times, and he didn't see any runs, but Covid kept me home this time, and I arranged for some friends to take him. Typical good natured Aussie, took it in stride. I will however, take him to the Toutle Wa. Drags, a splendid 3 days of some great, true, Nostalgia Drag racing.

Atwater Mike, Stogy, ClarkH and 9 others like this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gonna be a lot of rusty trucks and trailers in a month or so. Every wheel and brake drum on your trailers need to come and be off rinsed. Back door hinges are the worst. I added grease fitting to mine.

Montana1, Spooky, -Brent- and 2 others like this.
  24. Most folks don't do the long slow rinse. I used to take 2 days and use one of these

[​IMG]

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

When I went for the first time in 07, we hauled along a small, disposable, car. When I got home I disposed of it.

26. Paul Wigton

Paul Wigton

I was one who escaped: early Saturday morning, we decided to get the hell out of flooded Dodge, and I'm really glad we did… It was going to be the world debut of my Jaguar-engined Jeepster.

Attached Files:

27. Paul Wigton

Paul Wigton

We would have been one! Fortunately, we were only in the Bend campground about 20 yards.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great idea. I do that every year once I get home. About 2 hours in one place then move. Undercarriage still looks pretty good.

John

Stogy, catdad49, Tman and 1 other person like this.
  29. Paul Wigton

Paul Wigton

Yeah… When I return in 2024, I think I will choose a different camping area!

Stogy and Tman like this.