Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y-Block in a Shoebox Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Mar 21, 2022.

1. If you can swing it, buy the 50 back and build it while still driving the 56. Because it may mean being without a driver for a while. If the 50 gets done and you like it, send the 56 down the road, but if the 50 doesn't get finished, you aren't car-less.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I can’t imagine a 50 chassis being much different than a 54. I’d take a look at using factory 54 stuff to make it fit?

bet @Tuck has done it

Tuck and guthriesmith like this.
  3. I did it 60 years ago used Hurst motor mounts a dropped tie rod from JC Whitney . This was my first engine swap I was 17 .

4. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

how much $ for the fifty ?

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

That is a tough decision. I second what Dan Hay said, see if you can get the shoe box back and make a decision on the '56 later. A Y block would be awesome in the '50.

guthriesmith likes this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My cousin put a 292 in a shoe box, back in the fifties. It set on the ranch for 40 years, he came got it several years ago. I think I saw the Hurst front engine mount in the barn the other day. That would make putting that Y-block in your car a snap!

Bones

guthriesmith likes this.
  7. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

from what i've heard, the mitchum car had a t-bird engine and probably a dropped tierod, which hurst made back in the day. the problem with a t-bird pan is they're very expensive and rare, but the truck pans are common. with the sbf swap, you only need a $30 f-100 oil pan to clear the steering.

mctim64 and guthriesmith like this.
  8. The '54 was completely different; steering linkage, location of the crossmember, front suspension.

dan c and guthriesmith like this.
  9. jeffred

jeffred

I had a292 in my 50 coupe , could not get it to steer right motor is too tall so I moved steering down and couldn’t get rid of bump steer.

guthriesmith likes this.

10. Yes, I understand the dilemma..... been there more than once! Is the Model A something you can flip without committing too much time and money on? Will time spent flipping the Model A jeopardize the timing/$$$ on the shoebox? Do you have the time for an interim project (the flip.... we all know it will take more than just bringing it home)? Do you have an available reliable (old) driver to carry you through? Can you interest your son in working on the shoebox with you (time with our kids is important and rewarding)? Is the shoebox something your kid would like to have back in the family, and maybe eventually own himself?
    Do any HAMBers want to step up and start negotiations on the Model A? Anyone...Anyone???
    Glad it's you and not me.... my head hurts from just coming up with questions, let alone answers!
    Good luck!!!

guthriesmith likes this.
  11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I dropped a 292 in a business coupe. Used the manual bell from a truck and it mated to the original shoebox overdrive. Made mounts but had to drop the drag link… making a drop for the drag link wasn’t as bad as it sounds. I feel like we used a pickup oil pan for this so the sump was in the right spot…. It besides that it literally went right in.

guthriesmith and Tim like this.
  12. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

That would be an awesome engine and trans combo. A very fitting upgrade to a 302. Hope you get it done.

13. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I have nothing against Y-blocks; my 55 Tbird has one. However, I've got nothing against the small Ford Windsor engines either. I know someone who has two Tbirds; one is a 57/w 312 that's on display at the California Automobile Museum, the other is a 55/w 289. He recently drove the 55 to a car event in Tehachapi (5 hours each way). I would not necessarily consider a Y-block a step up from the 302. If the 302 is installed correctly, I would leave it in the Shoebox; you'll still have a Ford in a Ford. Parts? You have a much better selection of 302 performance parts available, and they are more affordable. For instance, Mummert's aluminum Y-block heads (rocker assemblies not included) will cost $3,000/pair. Originality? Neither engine is correct, so why not keep the 302? What don't you like about the 302?