Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas Customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kuzze, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Kuzze

Kuzze

Hey!!
    I like the Texas style,let me see some cool customs from Texas.
    And who built them!:cool:

2. Kuzze

Kuzze

3. here is 47 ford coupe but it won't be a texas custom much longer it is going to Utah to hwchaser

Attached Files:

4. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to come to Texas then, enough of that two hours of daylight that's comming up! :D

5. Kuzze

Kuzze

Must be moore in Texas?

6. What is "Texas Style"?

7. Doesn't look like Texas to me :p

[​IMG]

8. My mother and my grandmother and uncles are named Moore, and they are from Texas. These folks from across the pond struggle with our bastardized English and probably don't get the jokes.

9. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

Is this texas enough ? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. DrJ

DrJ

Now ya got me curious about what Customs built in Texas looked like in the 40's to early 50's, before the So.Cal and New York based magazines "corrupted" their local design sense.?
    We know what California cars looked like and the differences from shop to shop and No.Cal to So. Cal, and Great Lakes area with ClarKaiser etc., and New Jersey/NY, even Kansas middle America style, but did Texas have a local "Customizer King(s)" with his/their own regional style(s) back then?
    I really don't know, or don't remember, but would like to learn!

11. jrod60

jrod60
    from Katy, TX

The best part is you can have that truck for only $12k. What a joker...

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

From what I've been told, they were ugly and fast. Them Texas boys get bored on the farm. Dirt track racing was huge in Waco, DFW, and Amarillo.

When I think of Texas style, I usually think of fiberglass, glitz, tweed, billet, blah blah blah. Kinda like the new "chopper" craze, Texas cars are usually pretty tacky (Austinites being the exception ;)).

13. DrJ

DrJ

But that all sounds like 70's to present stuff.
    There MUST have been someone building what we call Customs or Barris called Kustoms back in the pre-SBC days?

14. Kinda what I was thinking, but I'm hoping I'm wrong and don't want to talk shit about my home state. How about some 50s and especially 60s Texas rods and customs?

15. teddyp

teddyp

I Lived In Kyleen Texas By Fort Hood In The 60,s Spent A Lot Of Time In Austin Most Customs Were Mostly West Coast Only At The Fort There Was A Mix Then West Coast Was Clean Black Walls Chome Rev Rims Roll&pleat Guts And On A Rake

16. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

There's an older gentleman that I usually go and buy parts off of every once in a while, everytime I go, I ask to see the pics of his old '40 Ford coupe. Like stated before, most Texas guys were all drag guys, like the DCB Coupe from Grand Praire etc etc... You'd see a few reader's rides from Texas that were mild customs, but that's it. Enough with the tangent... this guy's '40 coupe was chopped, 1/4 windows filled, channelled with the fenders high (appears sectioned) had a '50 Olds grille, '49 Plymouth bumpers and '41 Stude taillights if I remember right... I gotta get me a copy of those pics.

17. Slonaker

Slonaker

There. I bet was what he wanted. :)

Slonaker

18. flathead okie

flathead okie

Don't the early Texas Customs have Longhorn Bull horns on the hood with loud chrome airhorns attached somewhere? Also didn't they have some Holestien seat covers??

19. And six-shooters for door handles.

20. Zumo

Zumo

I didn't realize we had our own style?

21. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

22. Unfortunately, I see more shit like this than anything else...
    [​IMG]

23. shitbox2

shitbox2

i just puked on my keyboard:eek:

24. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Attached Files:

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I would like to see that also, my wife will be getting a 40 custom built here shortly. Anyone have any 41 stude taillights for sale?

26. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Here is my soon to be mild kustom 55 Olds....will soon get a mild shave, bone white/olive metalic panel paint, and if I can dig up enough scratch; I would like to get Fatlucky to do his magic on the guts. Oh and I will try to dig up some more pics of some Gary Howard Kustoms, Texas' King of Kustom IMO.

Attached Files:

27. swimeasy

swimeasy

"MEXKIN STYLE" is what I remember.Lots of really great stitchers and paint paint in DEL RIO!