Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP Marion Fairchild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell Rish, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Uncle Marion as he was known to a few of us passed Saturday. Master Machinist and Legend in both dirt track and drag racing.
    He was always Modest and always a little mans machinist /racer. He was a giant killer and the records in this part of the world prove it. There is so much that can be said and all of it good. He helped me figure out the blower combo on my fed from years ago and did all of my machine work until he unofficially retired. His health pretty much forced it. Loved a racing story and loved people in general. There are many who he loaned engines /parts /tools /even haulers to with no instructions other than bring it back when you get yours up and going.

He was also owner/ driver of many Well known early funny cars/etc. Specifically the MS Rebel ( built originally by Jerry Inman ), also owned the Liberty Motors ( originally owned /built by JC South ) renamed Satans Chariot. Also owned the Cyclops funny car that was built byCarlton Franks. Feel free to post any and all photos you have here. If you knew him you know he would love it.
    God Speed.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    AHotRod, fauj, harpo1313 and 10 others like this.
  2. Sorry for your loss - sounds like a guy we all would have loved to been around.

loudbang, Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

Your testimony about Marion shows that he was much more than a racer.
    Talented, generous, freely giving help and information, he was a giant of a man. I’m sorry for your loss.
    Godspeed Uncle Marion.

4. reagen

reagen

RIP

loudbang and Thor1 like this.

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

My condolences to his family and friends

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

There is actually some live 8 mm film of the rebel and liberty motors car( in like 67 -year I was born wow ) if I can figure out how to get it on. It was posted on Facebook and this is the only social media I do. Friend sent it to me. Gonna try no promises

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  7. cpraceman

cpraceman
    from walls, ms

That is sad to lose Marion. I enjoyed visiting with him a few times. A very nice and
    interesting man for sure ! CP Marion Fairchild.jpg

8. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

My condolences. Your testimony speaks volumes. RIP

loudbang likes this.
  9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

RIP Marion , we're losing a lot of them. Lippy

loudbang likes this.
  10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

The Legend and the Mississippi Rebel. The Rebel got painted several times. Was even named the Alabama Traveler. I believe Wallace Barton of Lynn Al /Was owner at that time.

Attached Files:

11. Lil32

Lil32

R.I.P from Aussie

12. troybert

troybert
    from muncie in.

He will be missed greatly, he was a very smart and kind man with plenty of stories. my condolences to Joyce and family DSCN3400.JPG DSCN3388.JPG DSCN3204.JPG

13. loudbang

loudbang

Man tough year for you. Sorry to hear yet one more friend has passed on. :(

14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

That is the price for having so many good examples to look up to,emulate, learn from. They were /and are all of that generation. Wished I had been. If half of what I have heard was true it was the time when a computer and politics didn’t rule the world It would take two life times to learn all that Marion knew in the machine shop. And he was old school. He was self taught out of necessity. He taught me how to use someone else’s junk against them. Fix it. Race it for cheap.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    AHotRod, chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  15. suchadrag

suchadrag

16. CamaroMike

CamaroMike

I was in Mississippi at Columbus Air Force base from 1976 to 1980. I met Marion Fairchild through a friend. I started hanging out at his shop in Hamilton. I would go with him to the dirt track races on the weekend and help as a crew member. Those were great times in my life that I will always remember. Marion was always there to help me with my 68 Camaro. In 2007 we visited Columbus and stopped by the shop. His house had burned but he was there. We talked and walked the property looking at cars for 2 hours. I will try and locate some photos from back then and post them here. RIP Marion, Thank You.

17. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Sorry for your loss.

Rest In Peace Marion Fairchild.

loudbang likes this.
  18. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

My condolences to his family and friends

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Leonard C Lister

Leonard C Lister

I was stationed at Columbus AFB in 1968-69. On some weekends there was drag racing at a old abandoned runway. No timing, just race for fun. Marion would show up occasionally with a Ramchargers car (white with red stripes down the side). It must have been an early funny car. A friend took me to see some of the cars at Marion's home. I recall going g into an old wooded building where there were 3 cars. On the left side was a Chevy Nova with fuel injection tubes sticking through the hood. At the back of the shed was a red metalflake Mustang with a blower sticking through the hood and fuel injection. I can not recall the 3rd car, but, there were three. It was amazing seeing these cars in a old wooden shed. There were a number of fiberglass body parts outside the building. I have never forgotten what I saw there. I have been a drag race fan for many years. Rest in Peace Mr. Fairchild.

20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Uncle Marion would have been 84 today. I will send the 8 mm footage of the Mississippi Rebel to someone if they can figure out how to post it. It’s cool.

kidcampbell71, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  21. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

R.I.P.

loudbang likes this.
  22. catdad49

catdad49

Thank you for the history, but sad to hear about your Uncle. People from that generation had better survival instincts than most and learned that you have to earn your way thru life. Some of use were lucky to been around them and had that same instinct passed on. Farewell, Uncle Marion!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Sad to post this information Mrs Joyce Passed 8/25/22. As long as I had known Marion she had always been by side. Don’t know anymore information other than she was at home when she passed. God Speed.

24. loudbang

loudbang

25. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Digging through some older photos. Came across these. He once had a box of those stickers that measured almost a foot across. This is one of three I have left. These were the small version.

Attached Files:

26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Today would have been Uncle Marions 85th. Remembering all the knowledge and skill that I learned from him.
    There is some sadness but 100 times more happy good times and memories.
    One day I’ll share the whole story on when my best friend /brother Mickey Miller and I asked him to adopt us - but not today.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    AHotRod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

RIP. Sad to see another legend pass away.

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just saw this. You mentioned Wallace Barton up above, Wallace passed away around the same time as Marion. His last year's after they closed Winston County Dragstrip down he put his race cars back on the street. He had a wicked 56 Chevy and his wife had the 34 coupe. I used to sit and talk with him at cruise ins and he mentioned Marion Fairchild many times. They had a kinda Alabama-Mississippi rivalry for years.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Remember his trailer. I bought it from them and reskinned it. When I bought it it had the remains of a rear engine dragster it it that blew an engine and slammed the wall at Lynn. Was bbc injected. Maroon color we actually used most of the front end pieces from it. It was included when I bought the trailer. Was inside of it as a matter of fact.
    Wallace wouldn’t talk about the rail other than he wanted it gone.

Attached Files:

AHotRod and chryslerfan55 like this.