Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Snap-On Tool Handle Deteoriating, How To Replace

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl Hungness, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Carl Hungness

Carl Hungness

I hate to stop a Snap-On truck and try to get a new tool. In the first place I didn't buy the thousands of dollars worth of Snap-On tools I own, I traded for them. I called Snap-On for about 15 years and tried to sell them an ad in my Indianapolis 500 Yearbook, and each time they said no. Finally I said, "Let's make a trade, I'll give you a full page ad and you give me a $2,500 credit for tools." They liked that proposition, so I traded for tools for a few years.

egads and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Carl Hungness likes this.
  3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Carl:
    As far as not "buying" it, you traded Value for it, it just happened that cash/check wasn't used. However, equal credit was involved both from & on both sides.
    It doesn't(didn't - things may have changed in the last year) matter for Snap-on. They guarantee the integrity of the tool, not someone using it. Any dealer *should* replace it, it doesn't come out of their pocket, since they are then reimbursed completely by the Snap-on company. There are some "dealers" that don't understand this, but you can then get hold of the main office & things will be dealt with - including P.I.A. "dealer". I did get a friends' screwdrivers, prybars & some sockets warrantied, they were probably 30-35+yrs old, handles broken & mostly rotted plastics. Dealer said he'd do it, because I was one of his customers, friend should've gone thru main corporate, esp since those particular tools were known to have major trouble & should've been replaced decades ago. I just said thanks, friend didn't think they were warrantable, but I told him Snap-on was/is *life*, BluePoint is very limited. Worst case, find any friend who works at some Snap-on serviced shop & have him/her get the exchange done. I've flagged down Mac guys before. Never gotten chewed out. Have only run into 2 tool-dealer assholes, years ago.

If you want to cast-up your own handles/etc, go to Smooth-on.com. Has everything you could want for casting/mold-making/etc. Good tutorials, & prices weren't horrible - although it's been a couple of years since I bought n used their stuff. Which btw, is excellent quality.

Marcus...

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Geez, I don't know what all the fuss is about! A Snap On tool is guaranteed! If you can't find a local dealer, truck, or he blows you off, you can send it back to Snap On for a replacement or repair. Since I've been retired, and live in a rural area, that's what I did a couple times. Find the address online.

5. saltracer219

saltracer219

I had the same problem with the handles of my Snap On screwdrivers a couple of years back. I have two full Deluxe sets, they were all going bad. The local dealer refused to warranty them because I bought them many years ago (from another Snap On dealer, not from him) when I worked as a line mechanic. It really pissed me off so I went directly to the Snap On Company, they had me send them in to the factory. It took a few weeks but I received two new sets in the mail no charge. Needless to say the local dealer will never get another dollar from me!

6. My dealer at work pulls the same stunt. It doesn’t work that way. I absolutely love SnapOn Tools, they are the best there are, but I buy exclusively Mac because I have a great dealer and they tend to be slightly cheaper.

Carl Hungness, saltracer219 and egads like this.
  7. Love the video 19Fordy Posted but I don't have the equiptment to use. My snap on gasket scraper's handle took a shit. I'll just have the snap-on guy replace it.

8. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Total boat makes good epoxy resin. Liquid glass is also great, both will harden enough you can sand and polish it too... i make resin poured tables on the side. Word of caution, it generates heat, more heat the more hardener you use (faster chemical reaction) it will destroy everything you get it on so wear gloves and use drop clothes

9. Carl Hungness

Carl Hungness

Sort of a good idea, but the shaft is square and it isn't going to fit well in a round hole. I've made handles previously for such stuff and the best way to make a wood one is to carve or router a square into the wood.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was holding one day and went to throw away an empty in the cab by one of the tee boxes and in the can was the head of a ping driver. Some one must have snapped it off and chucked it nor knowing that ping has a life time warranty. I retrieved it, sent it to ping and they sent it back with a new shaft , grip and head cover.

I sold it on CL for $200.

send the screwdriver to snap on. Or throw it away and let me know what can it’s in.