Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whats Everyone Using For Template Material?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegearhead, Aug 1, 2022.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Poster board and tape for flat stuff.

Tissue paper and small magnets for stuff with curve, crown, and/or compound-crown.

Bruce A Lyke likes this.
  2. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I have used most everything mentioned but for my interior upholstery panels I bought a couple 4 x 8 ft sheets of single flute cardboard from my glass company. They use it to make templates also. My upholsterer and glass company used my patterns without modifications to do my RPU

3. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

When we built the lakester we used old window advertising posters. Cheap and available

4. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We had plenty of art drawing paper for any kind of templates. But, most of the templates necessary came from larger thin poster paper from the local Standard Brands Paint Store that had art supplies. The thin version of poster paper allowed some flex, but also stood its shape when folded or curved with masking tape holding the shape down. When we made the floorboard cover for the LaSalle transmission, we used this thin posterboard taped down for the look and measurements.
    upload_2022-8-7_3-27-30.png
    We used thicker posterboard for the firewall measurement and install. Mainly due to the rigidity of the thicker posterboard staying straight on the cut out area. The extra thicker sheets worked well on the door panels, too. Once used, the used posterboard blank areas could still be used for other smaller or different designs.

Jnaki

The larger the area or place where a pattern is necessary, a thicker version of posterboard is good. It stays straighter and still allows for template holes. If a curve was necessary, we taped on some thinner poster paper that still kept the curve sheet, but allowed good folds and bends.

We always used new white poster paper and thicker posterboard. They just functioned well, as it looked good, clean and white. Cereal boxes can be used for many patterns, but the clean, white look was a better background for the lines and circle areas for holes. (even on smaller projects) ... YRMV