Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quotes to live by...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Apr 2, 2018.

1. As my father used to say, if it ain’t one thing it’s another.

Bill's Auto Works and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Do it for your grand kids-cause nobody likes there kids!

Boneyard51 and juan motime like this.
  3. F62054BC-7AD7-4798-A56C-7664904C7034.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  4. At least you are "Self Aware"

Wanderlust and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

“Everything you need to know , you can find in “Ferris Buehler’s Day Off.” The fact that there is no sequel, only proves there is nothing left to say.”

Hello,

Despite the fact that the movie was shown in 1986 nationwide, it had implications all the way back to our early high school days of having fun while making new friends during 1959-62. Or for that matter, in any particular high school era. Hot rods not withstanding.
    upload_2022-7-15_5-35-14.png
    The main character is always one of a kind that is on every high school campus. There is just something that makes this guy/girl someone that stands out, while having a behind the scenes appearance and characteristics. Ferris is fearless and seems larger-than-life. He has the unconditional love of his parents and skips through his teenage days in a self-assured swagger. He is what every teenage guy dreams of being: a raging, narcissistic kid, who gets away with it, or at least pushes to the limits.
    upload_2022-7-15_5-36-26.png
    The supposed Ferris Bueller house in Chicago neighborhood was actually in our old stomping grounds in a cool Bixby Knolls neighborhood. The movie not only had some throwbacks to our neck of the woods in Bixby Knolls, but several other Long Beach locations familiar to us. Ferris Bueller’s home in the film is actually at 4160 Country Club Drive in Long Beach.

When the principal get his due, he is found at 3800 block of Country Club Drive, just South of where it intersects with West San Antonio Drive, was where we worked in a Christmas tree lot during 1961 and 62 winter seasons. It was just down the street from our two old drive-in restaurants we lived in, for our high school days/nights. Grissinger's and Ken's restaurants.

The interiors for Ferris Bueller’s high school were filmed at the California State University Long Beach. It was disbelief as we noticed those places during the film. I met my wife in a class at the university during our junior/senior year. It changed the whole world for me and for her, to this day.

But, all in all, the magic of Hollywood makes is seem as if it all takes place in the Chicago neighborhood we see in the movie. That is Hollywood movie making in real time.

Jnaki

We have all experienced some of those shenanigans and teen situations. It was more to real life than a fantasy like AG. But, as in real life, the choices can come cheap in a movie, whereas for the rest of us, the teenage foibles led to much anticipation and anxiety. YRMV

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your hind legs? Do you also have front legs? :D

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. verde742

verde742

I ask the waitress that served me chicken "Are those Front legs or Hind legs ? "

she took them and said "I will go ask, I am new "

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s kinda like I tell the pizza cook…..just slice that pizza in six slices…..I can’t eat eight slices! :D

Bones

9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

"Never be afraid to try something new. If you fall flat on your face, at least you fell forward." Dad.

10. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"The thing that separates man from the animals is our ability to weasel out of things..."

"... well, except for the weasels."

SS327, Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

At my age life in prison is no longer much of a deterrent

Wanderlust, Boneyard51, X-cpe and 5 others like this.
  12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Don't let your mouth overload your ass. Your mouth is writing a check my ass has to cash.

13. jnaki

jnaki

“It is an insult the way your body turns on you as you get old.”

Hello,

As much as I would love to do another build of an early hot rod idea from the old days, started all the way back to 1956-57 time era, those days are gone. First, I am no longer 15-19 or even in the powerful 20s. Heck the most fun we had growing up doing all of the things we did back then and through the long years to today, limitations are now in place. Sensibility is the key word. What we could do with a flexible strong growing teenage/20 something body is no longer the key element.

"60's style hotrods, street, race, custom - come on, post pictures of what you like !"
    Thanks, guys…

upload_2022-7-22_5-28-56.png
    There are some that still think I have the ability… yea, thanks for your support and ideas, even though it was in jest. There are plenty of ideas and still some art skills left. So, an old guy can come up with plenty of memories and utilize what skills and thought is still left wandering around up there in the old “noggin.”

But, like most of us getting on into the later years, the old body is catching up with the times. What used to be a fast stepping climb upstairs is now, one step at a time and hope the knee does not give out, unexpectantly. Coming down is another story all together. I can see the headlines, now… “big old guy found on the stairs landing motionless…” Wow, that is not a good idea.

Jnaki

So, we live to tell another story or write/draw to our heart’s content. Taking care of ourselves is a process and over the long run, it has been fun as young teens. Once the final road was enhanced by meeting my wife, there has been tons of support to keep the spirits up. But, as good as it gets, time is not on our side. But, a great ride it has been…

One of our original ideas was started by my wife back in the 1990s and was brought up recently. We can give the house and belongings to our son and granddaughter. Then we can get one of those 50 foot catamaran sailing boats to live on with minimal possessions and worries. What about the ability to move all over the catamaran during sailing all over the oceans? Well, if the old bones can’t make it, we hire a crew to do what we cannot handle due to “old folks syndrome.”

What we used to do by ourselves in the physical sense can easily be done, but the heavy physical aspect of sailing should still be left to someone younger. So, with that in mind, there are future possibilities. It is a way to get over the insults old age has cast upon all of us…
    upload_2022-7-22_5-30-35.png New/old slides found in a recent photo box.

Again, Thanks, But, the eyes can see what the brain tells us is no longer in the overall picture, now or in the future…YRMV

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

“There was nobody that compared to my baby,
    And nobody came between us, nor could ever come above,
    She had me going crazy,
    Oh, I was starstruck,
    She woke me up daily, don’t need no Starbucks,
    She made my heart pound, and skip a beat when I see her in the street and at school,
    But I really want to see her on the weekend”

Hello,

One of the recent popular songs our young granddaughter liked was an upbeat dance song by a teen idol. The quoted wording within the song was sung by another popular vocalist. Later to become a “F&F” franchise star. The implication in the wording was explained to our granddaughter who instantly learned the words and tune. (She wanted to know if that is how my wife and I met in college.) She used the song in two separate performances for her, a modern dance recital and a single piano+ vocal concert in an auditorium.

When I was a junior in college, I was still in the throes of doing nothing but studying and surfing. When we had time, in the summer, we raced 250cc Greeves desert motorcycles in those 100 mile loop races (Hare and Hound) out in the Mojave Desert courses.
    upload_2022-7-29_4-48-18.png
    But, seeing all of those couples together, sharing the excitement and camaraderie made me wonder if there was something I was missing. So, during the next semester, I met someone in one of my college classes. We got along quite well and it was really something. I lost all track of the normal college stuff and centered my attention to one thing. Making sure this relationship was going to work in the long run.

Jnaki

Instead of Starbucks, it was the ever-present automatic coffee machines that were multiplying everywhere on campus. And/or it was the cool no name coffee shops down in the Alamitos Bay Harbor.

The lyrics told the story and our granddaughter laughed, then said we were too young !!! Ha!

56 years later tells the story in a clear light. YRMV

15. verde742

verde742

I was studying to be a free lance gynecologist, but my ex wife cured me of THAT..

My motto was ; " I am no gynecologist, but I will have a look"

tr_rodder, Wanderlust and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
    "I'll have to take it to the shop."

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He who lives by the sword...

... has no need for nail clippers.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.

Until I met a man who had no feet.

So I kindly asked...
    "Since you're not going to be using your shoes...
    Can I have 'em?"

19. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My uncle stopped a waitress in her tracks when he said "I think this fish was dead when it got cooked". Gene.

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I used to go into Churches Chicken in my Fire dept uniform and tell them that I heard you guys are hacking up dead chickens and boiling them in oil and feeding them to people! Invariable they would deny it at first, until they figured out that was exactly what the were doing! Always got a good laugh!

Bones

21. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You can judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can't do anything for him.

22. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

When I was a kid and my dad had a plumbing business, I had to help him in the summers. He told me "Son, whether it's a pipe wrench or a shovel, you got to be smarter than the equipment you're operating"

X-cpe, Hollywood-East and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Don’t make your problems my problem

24. jnaki

jnaki

“Listening is The Key to Longevity”

Hello,

When I met my future wife in the last two years of our college classes, it opened up a whole new direction in both of our lives. What used to be, was now as clear as mud. Why? Getting along with someone new was a direction that was the future at this stage of the game. With the college life still going on all around us, it was tempting to join in the fray. But, for both of us, it was a new direction that we saw as a way to “join/but leave,” the future for the both of us. Somehow, we knew at the time.

What was going to make this together feeling different from all of the other encounters? Quietly listening to the other person’s ideas, wishes and general outlook for living. The surreal community all over the USA college kids and the society’s values for/against college kids was on our minds. There had to be a better way.

Jnaki

upload_2022-8-5_3-40-55.png
    We laugh, now, but having spent all of these years listening to what my girlfriend said during our long road trips in an enclosed 800 mile vacation 1965 El Camino road trip has paid off. Most of our hot rods were single couple builds and there was no room for others. So, we had the whole trip to ourselves. What else was there, but to listen.

After we got married, now, the importance of listening was heightened. Our conversations were much varied and when we went on our long vacations again, we had plenty to talk about as young adults. At first, it was a continuation of our time together in college and in our early road trips. Now, it was new horizons and adventures as a couple of crazy young kids…
    upload_2022-8-5_3-44-37.jpeg
    Now that we have gone through the listening to each other stage, we thought it was going to continue the listening to the modern music playlists. But, the talking to each other while listening, was just as important and took over, rather than listening to music. Our road trips prior to the pandemic were up North to our favorite, Santa Barbara area, off to the PNW, South to San Diego & to Mexico, finally, inland into the mountains. But, the feeling is the same, we listen to each other’s ideas and thoughts.
    YRMV

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. I am not the Solution to your Problem.

Jim

26. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one is kinda for real...10 or so years ago my wife and I were helping her older brother, he had a bunch of health problems. We went to a couple Elder-care and Elder-law meetings. The first thing out of the speakers mouth in both cases was "Do not make yourself sick, taking care of a sick person". I don't think I will ever forget that! Gene.

27. X-cpe

X-cpe

My dad watched his brother do that with an Alzheimer wife and then couldn't stop himself in the same situation.

28. jnaki

jnaki

“Good people don’t change all that much…
    People grow older and become a fine honed version of their younger selves…”

Hello,

When I look back at our family history and its struggles throughout the beginning, it is a wonder why we turned out the way we did. While saying good bye to our old Westside of Long Beach homes and local adventures, we did not know what lay ahead for us. But, as the quote surmises, what we were as little kids, the kindness we had shown others, the development of our teenage lives al played a big part as to how we would turn out in today’s hectic pandemic times.

My wife says the same thing. Her life was different from mine and coming from a strict family from OKC area. Her cross-country jaunts for many years and uncertainty, played a big part of their lives. It certainly did not have the same history and culture as growing up in the Westside of Long Beach. We were stable, as much as we could manage. We stayed in the Westside of Long Beach from pre school to college. We only had two houses and our whole family stayed in the small two bedroom house from 1953 to 1998.

But, despite the differences, my wife and I somehow got the same idea of how to get along in life with the minimal incursions into society. Our college experiences solidified our togetherness idea into solid ground. Our ideas were similar and were influenced from others, as standard. But together, we adapted to others, including family, and stayed on the outskirts of mainstream America for many years.

Jnaki

Our ideas meshed, as did our lives. It was a great way to get along, first with each other, then the important thing… getting along with others… Again, despite our different upbringing, our personality was one and as the years grew past 50+ years of being together, it must have been that we were good as “honing our younger lives.” But, we stayed true to our kind selves as little kids through young adults…to... the future...YRMV