Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930s Era Champ Car - new project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Nov 20, 2007.

?

Another question: Posi or non-posi?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2021.
  1. Posi for two-wheel traction

100.0%
  2. No Posi for better handling in the corners.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks Mike. It did not solve my mystery but I can now say "I am confused on a much higher level".

chessterd5, 64 DODGE 440 and HJmaniac like this.
  2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Might not work, however have you considered one of those cut to fit axles like Currie and others sell?

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yes I did. But they do not list one for a truck 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern. Plus there still is the question of matching up brake assemblies and drums.

I ordered a custom axle shaft built to the specs I supplied them along with 11 x 1.75 brake assemblies from Quick Performance in Ames IA. It should be here in a couple of weeks.

I still would like to know what this axle came from.

4. No tag on the axle?

5. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

OUCH $$$!

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

nope - none. I acquired it from a friends stash and he only had a vague remembrance that it was from an '81 Bronco, which it isn't.

OUCH $$$$$ but I'm done pinching pennies on this project. If it is to get finished in a timely manner I need to step to the plate.
    As my son likes to say," The first 90% of the project takes 90% of the budget and the last 10% of the project takes the other 90%."

7. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I'm in full agreement with that! You don't want to see this week's discover bill alone. Fortunately SWMBO tolerates my occasional excesses! Besides we can't take it with us!

8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

LOL SWMBO - I had to look that up.
    I get that.

Dave G in Gansevoort likes this.
  9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

After a week of vacationing on another planet I arrived home to see that my new axle arrived. The new brake assemblies were not with the axle. I unboxed it in anticipation and it looked real pretty. I planned to remove the rear axle housing from the car, clean and paint it, and install the 3.25 posi center section so I can take some measurements and make a driveshaft.
    axle rr 02.JPG

Then the Fit hit the Shan.

Comparing it to my old axle the bearing was 1/2" inboard of the old axle. That certainly will not do as the drum and wheel will not be in their proper position. I will call the supplier tomorrow to get this resolved but at the very least it means more delays to the project.
    axle rr 03.1.JPG

axle rr 03.JPG
    axle rr 04.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

After some further searching on the HAMB I was able to locate the backing plate part numbers for the 11 x 1.75 Bendix backing plates:
    305503-L left
    and
    305504 - R right
    Does that help anybody ID this rather elusive truck axle?

11. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Bummer! Hope it works out for you. That's quite a bit of offset difference.

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

After a chat with the supplier I carefully measured my axle so he can make me a correct part.

axle rr 06.JPG

13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

After a phone conversation with the axle supplier I will be getting another axle built to fit my housing.

Today a set of brakes was delivered from the same supplier. I got a tight knot in my stomach as I figured they were not going to fit. After unpacking them I measured the shoes - 2.25" wide. My old shoes are 1.75" wide. So I thought I was now going to have to send the brakes back. I noticed the drums had been drilled for my 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern (there was still evidence of burrs on the holes from modifying them). So at this point I figured I'd try the wider brakes and different backing plates with my one good old axle and guess what!!! It looks like the whole she-bang is going to work. That is actually an upgrade with the wider shoes, self-adjusting ratchets and equalizer bars.

axle rr 07.JPG axle rr 08.JPG

What is the best method to paint the brake drums? I'm thinking clean and prime and paint with hi-temp engine enamel, no?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

While I am waiting to get a replacement axle I will make the driveshaft. I installed a 3.25:1 Equa-Lock (posi) third member to measure the C-C U-joint lengths. It will need to be 12.25", allowing 7/8" of input shaft stickout. I had a used driveshaft that I cut up. I will shorten it. I do not plan to have it balanced due to its short length, but I will remove the weld seam flash from inside of the tube to insure the tube is as concentric as possible. Also, there is a balance weight that I will leave on. The C6 yoke needs to be swapped out for the smaller C4 yoke too. And all new U-joints of course.

axle rr 09.JPG axle rr 10.JPG axle rr 11.JPG axle rr 12.JPG

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  15. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Crazy story! We needed a driveshaft back in the DIRT track days. Relatively short, approximately 27-28 inches between u-joints. And it was a Friday night and no way to get to a machine shop before Saturday night. What to do? Hmmmm...

Take 2 transmission yolks that had the same u-joints as the one in the transmission and the quick change, find a section of tubing that just by chance had the right id to just slip over the splined parts, cut to length, and weld it all together in phase.

It worked out rather well, and stayed in the car for a couple of weeks until a proper driveshaft was made. It was wrapped up in an old towel and visqueen, and went with us as a spare. Never had to use it again, but at least we had a spare!

A side benefit, more room around the shaft.

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That's a good story Dave and a good example of the "desperate people do desperate things" principal.
    I was once at an out-of-state race and the ladder bar bushings got hammered out, making the car ('33 Willys) evil handling. I went around to all the trash barrels finding aluminum pop cans that I was going to cut up into shim strips to roll into the ladder bar ends. But other issues forced me to park the car for the weekend.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here is a sidebar tech tip on how I shorten driveshafts. But before I go on I will give my South Park style of liability disclaimer:

CAUTION: ROTATING AUTOMOTIVE PARTS, INCLUDING DRIVESHAFTS, CAN FAIL, CAUSING INJURY OR DEATH. DO NOT FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS EXPLICITLY. NOBODY SHOULD MAKE THEIR OWN DRIVESHAFTS. SEE A PRO TO HAVE ONE BUILT.

I cut off a piece of the donor shaft a couple inches longer than needed.

I used a work table to mark the exact C -C length that the shaft should be, using the edge of the table as one center point and measuring the other center length from the table edge.

I used that line to place the cut yoke and marked where the final cut should be.

I wrapped the shaft with a piece of paper such that the ends of the paper align perfectly. That will give a square cut.

I carefully cut the tube to length. Roll the tube into the saw so only the top edge of the tube is cut.
    After cutting de-burr and square off perfectly in a disc sander.

Use two pushrods inserted into the bearing bores to get perfect end alignment. By lowering my sight line to the point where the farthest pushrod ends disappear simultaneously I have achieved perfect end alignment. It may be necessary to whack the lose end with a brass hammer to align the loose end. It is a snug fit in the tube.

Press the ends together for a perfect alignment.
    One final check for fit before welding.

driveshaft 01.JPG driveshaft 02.JPG driveshaft 03.JPG driveshaft 04.JPG driveshaft 05.JPG driveshaft 06.JPG driveshaft 07.JPG driveshaft 08.JPG driveshaft 09.JPG driveshaft 10.JPG driveshaft 11.JPG driveshaft 12.JPG driveshaft 13.JPG driveshaft 14.JPG driveshaft 15.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    The Magic Ratchet and chessterd5 like this.
  18. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Question?
    Does parallax error still exist while lining up both of the pushrod ends on either side of the drive shaft by eye?
    Or is it close enough that it is negligible?

19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I think it would be negligible. I suppose if you backed off many feet and used a telescope to watch the white ends disappear it would be incrementally better but frankly it is not necessary. Another consideration - if there is to be any alignment error it may be better to err on the side of having the drive end a teeny bit retarded so torque input causing any wrap-up would tend to make that error diminish.
    But its angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin. Its fine.

chessterd5 likes this.
  20. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Thank you for answering my question.

21. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Carpenters call them winding sticks, don't ask me why, cause he don't know. (HAIR playing in the background).

And you're right, it isn't a recommended method of driveshaft manufacture, and it was desperate times.

Hey, young and dumb...

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER likes this.
  22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I've found that just laying the yokes, holes vertical, on my steel table will phase them close enough.

23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Has anybody had good luck painting brake drums? What method works? These drums will be seen through the wire wheels and I want them to be as inconspicuous as possible.

24. big john d

big john d
    from ma

when shortening a driveshaft i align the yokes by pressing in a ujoint cap allmost all the way i leaving a slight amount sticking out then use an angle finder or a good level on the cap to match the two ends at zero degrees

Jet96 and THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER like this.
  25. AmishMike

AmishMike

Hamber “mrmodelt” has model t project on here “a new project a-tv8” painted drums with plastic coat engine enamel says good to 500 degrees

26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks AmishMike and HJManiac. I looked at both - and also Por 15(good to 350*) and also Rustoleum caliper paint (good to 2000*!!!). The drums will probably end up chassis color - either semi-gloss black or aluminum.

27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I completed construction of the driveshaft. I ground off the parting line flash on the yokes and ground off some of the balance weight, thinking that if that balance weight was needed for a 4 ft. long shaft that considerably less weight should work for my 12.25 inch shaft. Then I welded it up and installed new U-joints. I elected not to use heavy duty U-joints. HD U-joints do not have provisions for a grease fitting and being a traditional rodder I prefer to grease my shaft as needed. I did make sure to install the U-joints so the Zerks were placed in compression - not tension - when accelerating. They will take more abuse that way. Since I am not using a clutch or a transmission brake the standard Spicer joints will do just fine.

driveshaft 16.JPG driveshaft 17.JPG

As soon as my new replacement axle comes in I will now have a functional driveline, assuming the used C4 trans I acquired is as good as stated by the PO.

28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

That is a short shaft!

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER likes this.