Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How many are running a stick?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Jun 6, 2022.

1. gene-koning

gene-koning

About the mid 60s, automatic transmissions became popular on the drag strips, once the "modern era" of autos became available. The older versions of the auto trans left a lot to be desired as far as shifting, and durability was concerned. By the mid 60s, more heavy duty auto trans showed up, and some performance parts started showing up. It took a hell of a 4 speed driver to out shift an auto trans, and the shock to the drivetrain from the auto trans was greatly reduced. A very large number of manual trans guys switched to auto transmissions for drag racing.

This forum is based on pre 65. Back in the early days, the manual transmissions were king, most early auto trans simply were power drainers or were fragile, hence the negative auto trans stance.

Nothing wrong with an auto trans, there are two of them here at my place, and both have proven to be pretty tough. I don't race the 5 speed in my coupe. Its more driver involved to drive it, so that adds a bit more fun to the story, as long as my left knee will allow me to use the clutch pedal. Some days, that is a tough job, and I'm pretty happy I have something with an auto trans I can drive.

If the day comes that I have to put an auto trans in my coupe so I can drive it and enjoy it, I think I'm going to leave the 3rd pedal in the car, just so I can say "I have a 3rd pedal." LOL! Gene

vtx1800 and 51504bat like this.
  2. chevy57dude likes this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

And mechanic
    0406201618d_HDR.jpg

mgtstumpy, egads, Toms Dogs and 3 others like this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The idea of owning car as a teenager was one of convenience. It was the car that drew one into the fray. Some were stick shift units and others automatic. It was all based on type of car, availability and convenience.

When my brother got his first 1951 Oldsmobile sedan, it had an automatic transmission. He drove it for several years and his next car was a 3 speed 1958 Impala. Now, he and his friends all had stick shift cars. Whether from the factory or custom installed LaSalle transmissions, like the one in a 34 ford 5 window coupe with a big Oldsmobile motor a stick shift was the way to go for those early teenagers.

upload_2022-8-3_4-29-16.png
    Later, we even put in a LaSalle 3 speed behind our 671 292 cubic inch SBC motor for the 1940 Willys Coupe build. There were only a few race cars that had an automatic transmission in the popular classes. Slowly, the auto transmissions at the drags, came into play in the later 1960 era.

On the street, driving a stick had its moments, as a teen and adult. Today the classic opinion is to own a stick shift car and no one would know how to steal it and be able to drive it away… Ha! Somehow, the activity in driving, coordinating the feet and hands all work together to get moving. Once learned, it was something to be a part of the hot rod, cruiser or family line of cars.
    upload_2022-8-3_4-32-49.jpeg
    The first thing I learned was the “Hill Brake Start” motion for the LaSalle transmission in the Flathead Ford Sedan Delivery.

Many years later, I even taught my wife to drive (Including the dreaded Hill Brake start...) her 5 speed sporty car on slopes and hills of So Cal. Then gave her a road test up the coast through Big Sur to San Francisco for the final test. She passed with flying colors and her ownership for that second car was 13 years before she got a new 5 speed car for the next 11 years and another 5 speed adventure.

She was getting good. The key to security and feeling the road through stick shift driving motions all were made possible by learning the Hill Start maneuver. Once that was a part of the learning process, then everything else falls into place.

Security in stick shift transmission cars, and the feel of being a part of the whole driving scene was a wonderful set of moments. Part of the stick shift driving test was used on an off-camber hill start at a stop sign in Morro Bay. The line up of cars behind us was definitely a pressing moment approaching the stop sign on a off camber, curved road at the top of a hill.

But, as practiced, my wife went right up to the sign, pulled up the emergency brake and calmly used the standard red stop sign moment to check the cross traffic. Despite the line up of cars behind her causing some anxious moments, she handled it with a professional motion and attitude. No roll backs, no stalling, just a simple clutch/brake/gas forward movement to continue our long road trip.

Jnaki

When our son was ready to learn, we had two stick shift family cars. He wanted to learn to drive a stick shift car, so we practiced from the basics to the more advanced “hill starts.” He took to shifting/clutch/braking like a duck to water. He was getting good driving all over So Cal coastal roads and freeways. So, after months of practicing and us getting a larger station wagon with an automatic, he as ready to take the test. The automatic made the driving portion of the test easier.

For the next 6 months to a year, he put on 24000 miles on our automatic station wagon. He just liked the freedom and was very good about keeping the family station wagon clean and spiffy. But, when he was ready for his own car, he reverted back to wanting a stick shift car. The good thing was, he learned to be a safe driver and now he knew the responsibilities of being in his own car, not ours.

The only drawback to owning a stick shift car is when the numerous knee injuries swell up and make the clutch work almost impossible. It was definitely a non driving situation and most of the time, I had to be carted around by my wife. In her stick shift car of all things.

These days, after numerous stick shift family of cars, it is all automatic transmission cars for ease of entry and driving. Even when an old man knee injury takes command, it is still possible to stay mobile in an automatic transmission family station wagon. It then becomes a process to get in and out of the driver’s seating area…but at least we are mobile… YRMV

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just finished putting a 4 speed in my Impala. It is way more fun to drive now and I use it more than I did before when it was a "girls car"

4speed.JPG 61.jpg

6. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Attached Files:

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And no valve covers!:cool:

JimSibley likes this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

2 with 5-speeds and one with a 6-speed.....:)

chevy57dude likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got an AX 15 with a Novak adapter to go behind the 292 in the 48 but the left knee has started throwing a fit when I drive my 77 flatbed or moms 77 F250, both with stout clutches and granny 4 speeds. I don't need a super stout pressure plate for the 48 though.

10. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

11. Crkrjac

Crkrjac
    from Waxhaw NC

Excuse the non era correct cylinder heads…. 1187D5CC-A04C-49DF-BB4E-BCEE67783597.jpeg 610FCA76-7F91-46AF-8D17-3671DD00410D.jpeg

Deuces, mgtstumpy and chevy57dude like this.
  12. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Grand daughter likes the T-10 4 speed! Layla 32a.JPG

15. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

302 and 4 speed top loader. Though I always wanted to upgrade to a 312 y-block. Never did though 20210826_125656.jpg .

Deuces, mgtstumpy and chevy57dude like this.
  16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2022
    Deuces and mgtstumpy like this.
  17. We have 3 "hot rods" running a stick. The race truck has a Jerico, the '56 has a Tremec TKX, and our blue daily driver has an early Tremec 3550.
    Oops, I guess I must be going brain dead. I know I have posted pics on here before, but I don't remember it asking for a URL. If I can get it figured out, I'll post some pics of the vehicles.

Deuces likes this.
  18. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

Looks good! Your shifter landed in the "sweet spot" and the fabrication of the crossmember looks really sharp. Nice work.

I thought I might have to do that with mine, too. But, after a bunch of measuring, I lucked out. I did have to move my shifter over though.

Offset Shifter Model A Coupe with Muncie 4spd.jpeg HURST Shifter Stick Offset After.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've technically just inherited 50% of two Mercedes Benzes, and in those are the very first automatic transmissions I've owned in my almost 60 years.

21. 4speed411

4speed411

22. Crkrjac

Crkrjac
    from Waxhaw NC

Thanks Brent! Appreciate the comment! Means a lot coming from someone who has one of the most bada$$ A’s on here! Your car is a huge inspiration.
    I cheated with trans tho….planned on an early T10 but after measuring a zillion times, I went ahead and switched to a Tremec TKX 5 speed. Plan to long haul the crap out of this one so was an easy choice to switch.

-Brent- and firstinsteele like this.
  23. egads

egads

24. egads

egads

My Beater Bird-- 037.jpg 040.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  25. egads

egads

My Model A-- model a 003.JPG DSC00005.JPG

26. egads

egads

My '29 Peerless:):)-- IMG_0529.JPG

Ned Ludd likes this.
  27. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1962 Studebaker wagon with T5

DSC05016.JPG

1930 Tudor with Super T10

178.JPG

1931 roadster pickup with 3 speed soon to be T5

s-l640(3).jpg

Unfortunately 1932 Bantam altered didn't offer enough room for pedals so th350, but is towed by 5 speed wagon.

DSC04500.JPG

Warren

Fordors and egads like this.
  28. Muttley

Muttley

Four speed with a Hurst Comp/Plus:

Duncan Ceramics February 2017 #3.JPG

29. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

331 Hemi and Ford 4 speed.

Attached Files:

30. phat rat

phat rat

Well this one has large valve covers with holes in them. Also an A-833 4spd 14390692_10205633632638862_6163705993039102610_n.jpg

TomT likes this.