Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Yes it’s still Possible.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell Rish, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Doug your stuff come in? All of mine did( even the other roller stick- looks really good) but they still don't have any valves in yet. Got another place i am going this weekend Ill let you know what I find.

2. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All bearings came in. Was looking to get some U.S. bbc bearings before they are scarce.

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok been working on 327 for this one. I changed the front cover back over to stock. As always to do it right pan had to come off also. All was good. I have however picked up an interesting set up kinda by way of Glass Thames Doug.
    And I have always wanted to try one on the street. As a mechanical unit. I’ve done worse. It has been done it’s just to what degree I am willing to tolerate on street. That line has been blurry before.and I-resemble that sometimes.
    I’ll be back retired again by 5/25 so I can go back at all our stuff wide open. Later

Attached Files:

4. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Sweet system.... let me know what else you need. I'm making room in the shop...

1Nimrod, AHotRod and Thor1 like this.
  5. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't wait to see this! I've been thinking about doing the same thing! I'm definately going to pay attention to this! :cool:

GlassThamesDoug, 1Nimrod and Thor1 like this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I am still in need of one possibly two TRW L 2210 AF ( 30 over) or L2210 BF ( 30 over)pistons. ( summit list it but can never tell me when they will get it / or drop ship it) . Used in good shape is perfectly ok. or two new ones / or NOS. Close on the dome is good - I have a milling machine. As long as the comp height is 1.805 . These are for a 302/ 308 - or even a short rod 331. Got several std sets - compliments of Doug/ for my one std bore blocks- but I have a couple of sj 327 blocks that will need a 30 to clear.
    Need compression & small cubes to make this work. Already got the Hook- :cool:

7. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

And for the record Doug that shop is sweet- just wish you were several hours closer.

1Nimrod and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  8. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll dig out my MAG, see how its set up, advance or not. I can't see myself using it. Might be a Ronco.

1Nimrod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What rear end, suspension is under that 57.

10. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Stock leafs right now. 5 leafs/ 3:55 posi stock axles as much as I know.
    Thats Pretty - that a .030 over or std. Still got a couple of early 327 blocks and cranks.

12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I am interested in the mag. I got a spare for everything else - might as well , let me know? Remove the cap and hold the wick and let the some one spin the gear - its a great arthritis treatment. ;) Make sure its laying on the table that way you don't drop it.:D

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  13. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Managed to turn 57 around today and get rinsed off. Getting ready to put drive train in /disc brakes on front. Just starting to take that look. Now if I could just come up with those butter bean steel stock car wheels I like. Lol

Attached Files:

14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Well school is back in session. Appears my 65 vette pan set up will not clear the steering.
    So I have to swap pans. I got a couple but they are on running core engines. I am probably going to order a plain stock pan ( got a dozen pick up and get it done) and paint. Got to remember to get driver side dip stick. Considered building a deep pan to clear but this again is going to hit the road some. Don’t need to have to redo steering etc at least not right now.

15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

AS luck would have it I found the pan i need on one of my core engines that is in perfect shape. Steam cleaned/ and primed / will paint tomorrow .
    I also have a 56 fuel tank( decent but needs to be cleaned etc )/ and the front and rear bumper sections that I pulled from this car - FREE to who ever can use them.

16. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Pan installed. Had to change front seal height went to the tall one. Welded matching pick up and since I was in there anyway I ran /re torqued the rotating assemble. Starting to get misc parts together. Hoses /and such. Haven’t done final clean and paint touch up but getting there.
    Glass Thames Doug sold me his Ranco/vertex and that will give me a spare of everything major. Life has been kinda slowing things down as of late but we are seeing the schedule coming back into focus.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, AHotRod, Stock Racer and 4 others like this.
  17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Played around with the internal wiring etc yesterday. Hooked up a battery charger and here is the update.
    I was shocked in a good way. Please remember that this 57 has been sitting since 79 or so.
    the headlights work. Fuel gauge works. And the Tiger/ SST ignition box and coil are still pretty hot. How do I know?
    Threw the ignition switch a few times and kept hearing a pop. Looked out side under hood while wife through the switch and the bluest spark I have ever seen jumped to the side post.
    Wow. I will Probobly leave it completely alone. The engine will get a points distributor and away we will go. I must admit I was impressed.

Attached Files:

18. Squablow

Squablow

Cool that stuff still works, also a pleasant surprise whenever the wiring in an old car is intact and functional.

19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Brake lights /tail lights/ head lights all work. Wipe away 40 plus year old Webster co MS red dirt and wow. Even the bulbs. Lol. Had to replace one. Lol
    Forgot to turn the key /power switch on and check turn signal. Considering the brake lights worked I think there is an above average chance they will work also.

Attached Files:

20. Squablow

Squablow

Paint the reflector area in the tail lights bright white and they'll be as bright as LED's without looking stupid like LED's. White seems to be much better than silver for whatever reason. Here's a pic someone took of mine in broad daylight with the brake lights on, they're just regular bulbs and lenses in there, the only difference is the white paint.

foxvalleyco4.jpg

D-Russ, chevy57dude, Cosmo49 and 10 others like this.
  21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yep they are bright.

22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

No photos today. However - all turn signal s/ tail brake and dash are functioning. Had to pull the column/ check wiring that I soldered back together. Turned out the turn signal actuating C / lever had enough slack that the contacts were not touching. Tighten things up and a few gental raps with a rag and a wood block to tighten up the sliders and we now have turn signals. NEED a new switch and it seems that some of the places that I have purchased things from in the past are now a conglomerate- so Ill probobly be looking else where.
    All in all a good day though.

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55, brEad and 2 others like this.
  23. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Headers high tempted. Bell housing checked/threads chased and painted. Clutch linkage painted. Did a little detail work under hood. And took a solution of gasoline and acetone both old and filled the fuel cell an inch or two to check a corner for leaks. It does have a fuel sender bung. Gauge I know is good and functioning so any universal 30 ohm sender that will fit will work. No sweat
    Was going to do A arm bushings ball joints /disc brake conversion etc /which I have in inventory / but decided that I needed to install engine /headers /drive train etc so I’ll know where to run the brake lines /etc.

Attached Files:

24. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks nice....

1Nimrod likes this.
  25. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Engine and headers in.
    Considering the age of the headers they fit very well. They are full length in frame headers first set I have personally had. All other tri five stuff I delt with was fenderwell headers.
    They don’t hang down low like some of the complaints I’ve seen on line. Maybe an inch below frame rail.
    Now here are the only numbers I found on them anywhere 1002 R and L for obvious reasons. These headers would have been late 60s early to mid 70s anyone got a clue. I would just like to know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Fan/radiator and shroud fitted. Yea that’s cardboard on the radiator if you ever mess one up you’ll never for get to do that again until your finished.
    Pleased with how it turned out. I had the shroud in inventory and have no clue what or where it came from. It even fits around the bottom radiator hose. The radiator will get a coat of epoxy black when it goes together for good.

Attached Files:

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Shots of the collector flange may help people ID the headers.

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Collector shot. It’s not round or square which I about half way expected when Wes first told me he had these for this car. Again not an issue I’d simply like to know. Did good. And don’t hang down terribly.

Attached Files:

29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Finished up radiator and shroud installation need one heater hose. Still got a list to do. Also need to review my wiring changes for the internal reg/alternator. Think brown wire from factory volt regulator goes to number one but it’s been 20 years since I’ve done one so it will actually make the dash lights work correctly. Lol

Attached Files:

30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Gonna use a stock (385) series GM /cast iron distributor in the 57.Set end play tonight. I have it a .024. Closet I could get to .020 with the shim kit I got and I took out over .030. Should be way better than it was anyway.
    Got a BIg Accel coil but may use the stock one that came on it. When I turned the key on /remember this thing has a SST tiger cd box also from way back /it would still ark a blue spark about an inch and a half to the mounting bracket. Don’t figure it’s to bad.
    Got to get a spring curve kit and do some notebook retrieving. All my early years were with a recurved (time slip check and see method) single point distributor. I’ve seen a lot of really fast cars use that and that alone.

Attached Files: