Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Identify this woodie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51504bat, Aug 2, 2022.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My bil in San Diego sent me this photo. I did an amateur Google search but couldn't find a matching photo. First thing a checked was to see if it is a Dodge but don't think so. I'm sure someone here knows for sure. Thanks. IMG_1890.jpg

v8flat44, 41 GMC K-18 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. The tag in the back window says, Oldsmobile $975.

3. If it is in fact an Oldsmobile, I'll go out on a limb and guess 1931?:)

4. 1929 Oldsmobile depot hack/station wagon, it looks like some may have added the surf board rack & the landau irons . HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 31 minutes to identify from one photo??? Boy, you guys are slipping!! LOL

6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The landau bars made me a little ill.

7. I about shit on myself when I read that! You're a helluva detective Mr Don! :D

8. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

The power of the H.A.M.B.!

51504bat and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  9. greybeard360

greybeard360

The title of this thread made me hesitate before looking......

10. rusty valley

rusty valley

two different vehicles. note the different grease caps on the wheels

51504bat likes this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone

12. v8flat44

v8flat44

That ain't your dad's Olds, but it sure is cool. Wood is good......spokes & all.

51504bat likes this.
  13. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

You and me both.

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

If ya rub it more than twice your playing with it.

hotrodjack33 and '28phonebooth like this.
  15. twenty8

twenty8

Nah, it's definitely a '29 Olds. Check out the curved detail on top of the cowl. Pretty distinctive.
    The OP's pic has quite a bit of added bling.

51504bat likes this.
  16. The car is a 29 Olds, wheels don't define a manufacture, the owner add additional stuff, I believe he also added hub caps too. HRP

51504bat likes this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-8-3_12-27-2.png

Hello,

Nice location in North San Clemente. It is right in front of the North San Clemente Amtrak Station. When driving down the coast from Dana Point, this is the first sight, coming into the City of San Clemente. Normally, the parking lot would be packed, but the pandemic has lowered the amount of riders on the Amtrak. Either parking for Amtrak or beach goers usually take up the spots. So, that would be close or it is just before 8:00 am on a weekend.

Also, this photo looks like an early Saturday morning. Why? The Olds Woody looks like it is waiting for the Saturday morning Cars and Coffee event held at the Outlet Center, just up the hill from this beachside location. The street location is a 5 minute drive to the Outlet Center.

If anyone gets to the Cars and Coffee location before 8:30 am, a waiting area and long lines are the norm. This location is a lot better, as you can turn around and see the ocean a few steps away. The waves aren't the greatest up there in that location, but just down the beach in front of those tall cliffs, there are a few spots that are very good when the swell hits those spots.

Jnaki

So, if your friend (or the woody) was also a bit early and drove a few blocks to the ocean, it may have been just a waiting spot to take a nap or check out the surf. It is too bad the surf rack got bolted on to the wood. It was a nice woody without the extra Landau bars, too.

Just a thought, but because these old longer woodies were used for all sorts of thing in the very old days, could it have been a family owned mortuary station wagon? Some of the additions from those cars usually had ornamental Landau bars on each side. It also looks long enough to hold whatever a mortuary is supposed to hold in the long rear section... YRMV

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    51504bat and lothiandon1940 like this.